Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Squalene Question Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Is there any advantage for the skin in using olive based squalene oil versus the fish liver based squalene oil?
Picture of SkinBioTeam
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hello Annie,

Thank you for your question. There is a lot of information about the differences and benefits of shark based and olive oil based Squalane and Squalene.

See: moisturizers.html

"Squalane for Moisturization
Squalane and Squalene are two very similar lipids and compose 15% of skin fats in the teenage years but decline to about 5% after age 50. This is a major factor in the skin becoming rough, dry, and vulnerable to damage.

Of the two compounds, Squalane from olive oil is more stable and preferred for skin use. When rubbed on skin, squalane acts to improve skin protection and moisturization. Squalane is absorbed deeply and quickly into the skin and does not leave an oily film. It is especially useful on dry scaly portions of the body as it helps to maintain your skin's natural moisture level and produces the appearance of softer, smoother skin.

Squalane Background

For thousands of years fishermen from Scandinavia, Japan, and the South Pacific have used fish fats rich in Squalane/Squalene for the skin of their faces and hands after irritation by salt water. Naturally these lipids are found in several foods such as plant oils (especially olive and wheat germ), meats, and some fish oils as well as in human sebum. The richest source of this Squalane/Squalene is a breed of shark that lives in deep waters off the island of Okinawa. In 1916 a Japanese Chemist, Tsujimoto Mitsumaru, isolated and documented Squalene in the liver oil of the family of fatty shark called Squalidae. Because over fishing has endangered these sharks, Squalane from olive oil is mainly used today.

I think you will also find this thread helpful: SqualAne vs SqualEne; olive vs planell oil

In it Dr. Pickart states:
quote:
Both squalane and squalene are in the skin. Squalene is less stable and may be oxidized.

This thread is also very good: Olive vs Shark Squalane

In it Rosanna asks:
quote:
Does the shark liver based squalane have any different properties compared to the olive based one? Are the color, texture, odorless and moisturizing properties identical?
All the documentation I could find on squalane talks about olive and shark without making distinctions.

Dr. Pickart comments in this way:
quote:
You are correct about this. Shark squalane was originally used after fisherman found oil from shark livers would help diminish and smooth skin damage on their hands.

But the use of squalane was reducing shark populations sharply, so the extraction of squalane from olive oil was developed.

Great question! Hopefully this helps you to There is no benefit to using the shark based Squalane and Squalene over the olive oil based version.

Keep Smiling
~The SkinBio Team

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
Picture of Rossana
I purchase squalane in bulk because I use a lot of it. Before purchasing the first time, I ordered from the company where I intended to purchase the bulk squalane a little bottle of shark squalane and one of olive squalane. I tried both at the same time on each side of the face.
They are truly identical. Their chemical composition and chemical properties are identical too. The price of the shark squalane may be a little bit higher and of course it requires killing sharks.
But anyway if you opt for shark squalane, make sure you get the squalane with purity 99.7%. Some companies also sell one with purity 99.5% which is cheaper but that is for use in supplements and not for topical use (that's at least the explanation that the company gave me when I inquired about the difference between the two different purities)

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
Picture of Skin Biology
quote:
Originally posted by Rossana:
I tried both at the same time on each side of the face.
They are truly identical. Their chemical composition and chemical properties are identical too.

Dear Rossana:

Thanks for posting your feedback - Our Squalane and Retinol in Squalane have worked very well for many clients over the years.

They just love it.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Picture of Dr. Pickart
quote:
Originally posted by Rossana:
I purchase squalane in bulk because I use a lot of it. Before purchasing the first time, I ordered from the company where I intended to purchase the bulk squalane a little bottle of shark squalane and one of olive squalane. I tried both at the same time on each side of the face.
They are truly identical. Their chemical composition and chemical properties are identical too. The price of the shark squalane may be a little bit higher and of course it requires killing sharks.
But anyway if you opt for shark squalane, make sure you get the squalane with purity 99.7%. Some companies also sell one with purity 99.5% which is cheaper but that is for use in supplements and not for topical use (that's at least the explanation that the company gave me when I inquired about the difference between the two different purities)

You could also try to buy the raw shark oil that is used. Fishermen have used this raw oil for soothing irritation to their hands for generations.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,