Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Anthelios Login/Join

posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hi Greg, I am in Canada so I can get it locally. I am not sure on this, but I believe I was told that the Anthelios in Europe is the best one to get, Canada is second and the one in the USA doesn't contain Mexoryl which is the key ingredient. I also understand that Mexoryl is illegal in the US??? Correct me if I'm wrong, Kathleen do you know anything about that?

KathyC
Hello again Kathy C Smiler

I am continuing the suncreen post here so as to answer your specific questions.

Yes, the best ones are from Europe, although there is a place in NY selling it for too much money. It is the same product with the non-approved sunscreens. Not sure how they are doing that.

The best place to get Anthelios Fluide XL is on ebay. Just search for it. A guy in Spain sells it for $46 plus $12 to ship Fed Ex. He is very quick and the products are brand new in the box. He even sends other LaRoche Posey product samples. He must have access to wholesale or something.

I think the cheapest to get Bioderm Max 100 is on www.delivereddeals.com They are currently out of stock, at least full-size products, but will have it in in 1-2 weeks. They may have samples, though. It will tell you what samples are available. The samples are PRICEY, but better than wasting money on a full-size you don't like! I bought 2 samples and they gave me an extra for free! Smiler

I love the Bioderm Max 100 Fluide very much (and the Max 100 milk is MUCH cheaper with same protection), but all the Bioderm Max have that horrid 4 MBC in it, which was shown to be very estrogenic. That said, I am NOT sure that as much of these ingredients absorb as some would have you believe. For one thing, they try to make suscreens that do NOT absorb systemically because as the sunscreen is absorbed, I believe the protection diminishes. FYI, oxybenzone is 100% systemically absorbed and I didn't see it any of the European sunscreens. Most of the sunscreens do not absorb past the dermis, from what I read. My sources could be faulty, so please feel free to dispute me! Big Grin

Then again, I only apply these chemcial sunscreens to my face, so not sure I need to worry that much about estrogenic effects. (I am estrogen dominant, so it IS important to me, though!)I am unsure on this issue, still.

Notably, Tinosorb and the Mexoryls are NOT estrogenic! Woo hoo! There is very little estrogenic ingredients in Anthelios (maybe another reason DY uses it, I'm not sure.)

I HAVE seen Anthelios on ebay, and not just the fluid XL. Not everyone wants or needs the very highest protection, though, so check out the ingredient list in these URLS I posted in the other thread and see if anything is on ebay for you in another formulation. I think the spray looks quite nice, has a PPD of 20 and is MUCH cheaper than the fluid XL. I talked with a girl who uses it on her face and loves it, says it's very matte and very nice.

Last but not least (sorry for long post!), yes, these products are not approved for use in the U.S., but you are not going to go to jail for buying an unapproved sunscreen. Smiler Smiler In fact, I don't know what the legal status is of buying and selling these sunscreens as there is a place in NY selling the actual European formuals, not some stripped down U.S. version.

Seriously, no one is going to come after you for buying a sunscreen, approved or not approved, so please don't worry about that. It's not like an illicit drug or something. The very worst that would ever happen (and that's not likely, either) is that customs would confiscate it. I doubt customs even knows which sunscreens or legal or not! I buy Azelex (Rx topical) from Australia all the time and I'm not in jail and that would be a much worse offense. Big Grin Also, U.S. customs do not make you pay anything, like most other countries do, so that's not an issue, either.

I hope this post was helpful. Feel free to ask me anything.

EDITED: I meant to say the guy in Spain on ebay was selling TWO full-size Anthelois for $46 plus shipping. Oops!

Also, oops, because I see you live in Canada, and Mexoryl is approved there. I think Candada charges duty on imports (Deb would know!), but I still would not seriously worry about importing a non-approved sunscreen.

Kathleen

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Thanks Kathleen. I appreciate your lengthy and informative reply. I am leaning towards the Anthelios at this point (Lait 40 for my skin) right now as it seems to be the most popular containing the most effective and least harmful ingredients overall. I'm not going to purchase it until I am right out of my old stuff in case someone comes up with something else in the interim!! That always seems to happen! I'll probably buy the one here in Canada rather than overseas as the Canadian one is probably sufficient for my needs. I know the Canadian one contains Mexoryl. Anyway, I'm sure the search is not over, but until something comes up superior to Anthelios, I guess I'm sold!

Thanks again.

KathyC Smiler
Hi everyone,

I've been following this Anthelios discussion eagerly and wanted to post this link:

http://store.yahoo.com/skincarelab/suncare.html

It looks like this place is selling the version with Mexoryl and without the excessive shipping charges. And the prices seem to be very similar to your guy in Spain Kathleen! Is this the place in NY you referred to Kathleen?

Cast your expert eye and let me know what you think! Apologies if I have managed to drop the ball on this one! Eeker

All the best,
Belle
http://www.feelbest.com/anthelios.cfm

This Canadian retailer is fast, friendly and relatively inexpensive, especially shipping. They have a great LRP selection.

Has anyone tried the Anthelios 'L' Solar Intolerance Total Sunblock 60 SPF, they sell it for just under $30 Canadian? Is it like the Fluide XL 60 at all? The XL sounds lovely, perfect but I would like to spend a little less $.
Hi Belle,

Yes, this is the U.S. seller I was talking about, but I messed up the price of the ebay seller. It is $46 for TWO full-size (50 ml) tubes of Anthelios plus the $12 shipping. Which is cheap shipping for 3 day air Fed Ex. So that is only $58 for 2 tubes (including shipping), which is cheaper than the U.S. store I think. It works out to $29/tube, shipping included. The U.S. store wants $30/tube plus some shipping. Not much cheaper, I guess!

I *think* these are all the same Anthelios. I'm not aware of different versions for Canada and Europe, but I could be wrong. The sources I got all the ingredient info for did not mention different formulas for different countries.

I think Anthelios contains Tinosorb as well as the Mexoryls. Is Tinosorb not approved in Canada?

Kathleen

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Hi everyone,

I've been following this Anthelios discussion eagerly and wanted to post this link:

http://store.yahoo.com/skincarelab/suncare.html

It looks like this place is selling the version with Mexoryl and without the excessive shipping charges. And the prices seem to be very similar to your guy in Spain Kathleen! Is this the place in NY you referred to Kathleen?

Cast your expert eye and let me know what you think! Apologies if I have managed to drop the ball on this one! Eeker

All the best,
Belle
Thanks for the link! I haven't tried this one, sorry! I hear ya about the $$$!

quote:
Originally posted by Annette:

This Canadian retailer is fast, friendly and relatively inexpensive, especially shipping. They have a great LRP selection.

Has anyone tried the Anthelios 'L' Solar Intolerance Total Sunblock 60 SPF, they sell it for just under $30 Canadian? Is it like the Fluide XL 60 at all? The XL sounds lovely, perfect but I would like to spend a little less $.
Kathy,

I'm glad to have been of help. Smiler I think Anthelios is great, too. Yes, of course go for the cheaper one! I've been using up my old stuff on my hands and arms.

I expect the U.S. to come out with some decent sunscreens this year as Tinosorb is being approved this month. YEY!! So hopefully there will be even more choices soon.

quote:
Originally posted by KathyC:
Thanks Kathleen. I appreciate your lengthy and informative reply. I am leaning towards the Anthelios at this point (Lait 40 for my skin) right now as it seems to be the most popular containing the most effective and least harmful ingredients overall. I'm not going to purchase it until I am right out of my old stuff in case someone comes up with something else in the interim!! That always seems to happen! I'll probably buy the one here in Canada rather than overseas as the Canadian one is probably sufficient for my needs. I know the Canadian one contains Mexoryl. Anyway, I'm sure the search is not over, but until something comes up superior to Anthelios, I guess I'm sold!

Thanks again.

KathyC Smiler
After looking at all my options, I'm sticking with Anthelios. I really love this sunscreen.

I read somewhere (on this site) that cancers other than skin cancer have increased for Australians since they began using sunscreen. That really doesn't mean much to me, since the environment and food supply have changed so much for the worse in the past thirty years.

Unless I have better proof, I'm going to scrupulously protect my skin from sun.

I bought my last bottle of Anthelios in Paris, but I know of a little pharmacy which sells the whole Anthelios line. They charge a lot, but it's worth it to me.

Jil
Any Canadian ladies know where I can get Anthelios without ordering online?? I just tried Shoppers Drug Mart and they don't carry it and neither does Walmart. Anyone know?

As far the Canadian vs. the Europeon Anthelios, I'm going to check with my sunscreen guru on the YTF board and see what the difference is.

KathyC
Thanks Kathy, fwiw, I checked Extra Foods today and none there either. I look forward to any info you can get. If I do see it somewhere I will let you know. I wonder the company would know where you could get their product locally?
I will be very interested in that!

quote:
Originally posted by KathyC:
Any Canadian ladies know where I can get Anthelios without ordering online?? I just tried Shoppers Drug Mart and they don't carry it and neither does Walmart. Anyone know?

As far the Canadian vs. the Europeon Anthelios, I'm going to check with my sunscreen guru on the YTF board and see what the difference is.

KathyC
Annette,

I think the L may be a Canadian formula. I couldn't find it for the descriptions I have--and I see now what I have is for the European line descriptions. Frowner

Hopefully someone else will help.

Kathleen

quote:
Originally posted by Annette:

Kathleen and those interested in Anthelios sunscreen! Here is a copy of my response from Mag at YTF:

"Hi Kathy,
I think it depends where in Canada you are located. I know that in Eastern Canada, like Toronto they may be more available.
But I know that in other parts, it may be more difficult to find. A friend of mine once travelled to Alberta and I asked her to pick up some Anthelios if she could find it. She said she went to several stores and could not find it, but finally found some in a store called Shoppers Drug Mart, inside a large mall or shopping center.

If you can't find Anthelios, you can also try Vichy SPF 60 lait, with Mexoryl. This one is also good, and I think can be found in some parts of Canada.
Are there any Shoppers Drug Marts where you live? I think they sell different brands of sunscreens there.

If you can't find it at all, you can always order it from Canadian online sites like feelbest.com, or canadapharmacy.com.
But in that case, I agree that you might as well order the European Anthelios.

The main difference between the Anthelios from Europe is that it has Mexoryl SX+XL, while the ones in Canada only have Mexoryl SX.
The Mexoryl XL makes it somewhat more protective in strong sunlight, since it also blocks UVB.
But of course, the Canadian Anthelios is broad spectrum (blocks both UVA+UVB) since it has other UVB filters, like octocrylene.
But Mexoryl XL can make it more protective during strong exposures.

Also, the European Anthelios have somewhat more UVA protection. The Canadian Anthelios don't even list the UVA factor. But from reading the ingredients on Anthelios SPF 45 from Canada, I would guess that it has at least PPD 12, which is good.

But if you get Anthelios 40 lait (for face and body) from Europe, the PPD is higher, which means even more UVA protection, that will last a bit longer.

Tinosorb is a different UVA blocker which is not in most Anthelios, except for the Extreme Fluide, which is the lightest, almost watery texture.

But if you get Anthelios with Mexoryl XL+SX, you don't really need Tinsorb.
Tinosorb is also in Photoderm Max 100, another sunscreen which is very good. But I don't know if you would like the texture, since it may not be as light for the face. It may be good for dry skin, so can try it.
It's a small bottle though.

You can get all of these European sunscreens from www.beautycenter.co.uk
I have used them several times and they have good service, takes about a week or so to ship to the U.S.
Their shipping fee is not that cheap,but it's the same whether you buy 1 sunscreen or several, so it's still a good deal.

I get several at a time, since I used them everday and don't want to run out. Also, they have a long shelf life, at least 2-3 yrs, so you can save them.

I suggest you try a few, and see which ones are better for your skin. There is also Anthelios XL SPF 60 lait, which is the highest protection for UVA and UVB, but it's too thick for my face. I do like it for my hands and body though.
So even if you don't like one for your face, you can always use it on your hands, etc. so it won't go to waste.

If your skin is dry, you may like the Anthelios lait SPF 40 (100ml) , which is not as thick as 60 lait, but still has moisturizing properties.

I order at least 4-6 at a time, and it still costs cheaper (even with shipping) than getting them thru some U.S. online sites that import them.
Try getting them before summer, so they won't get too hot during transportation.
HTH"
Thank you Kathy and Kathleen! What great info, Kathy, I have one ? though, what doed YTF stand for? These acronymes get me every time!

I've used Vichy and found it really nice. I will check out our Shopper's Drug Mart for the Vichy brand with Mexoryl.
LOL Annette! YTF stands for "Yes They're Fake" which is another forum and can be found here:

http://www.spectacularskin.com/cgi-bin/forum/index.cgi

By the way, I tried Shoppers Drug Mart locally and they don't have it, but the sales clerk said all their sunscreens have not arrived yet, so I am hopeful!

KathyC Smiler
Smiler Oh, I should have known that one! It's been mentioned before I think...

Too bad Shoppers didn't have it, did you look for the Vichy one too? I like that it has the Mexoryl it in. I haven't made it out today but I'll check tomorrow or the next day. Our Shoppers is small, small and even smaller since a well know, unnamed department discount store came to town. Frowner
Just want to add that the dude selling it on ebay is fast and the cheapest price I've seen so far. You have to buy 2 at once, though. It's the European version, but you get the product within 5 days, Fed Ex!

Kathleen
Wait, have more info on obtaining Anthelios at a good price:

http://www.beautycenter.co.uk/fiche_produit.php?id_rayon=240&id_article=5681

Only $20 for the 50 ml tube. MUCH cheaper than even on ebay! Ships from UK. The ingredients appear different a bit, but I confirmed it is the same with simply an abbreviated ingredient list.

Kathleen
Wow, Kathleen, thanks! Now this is more within my budget! Smiler