Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Anthelios Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Has anyone heard of Anthelios sunscreen (from Europe) and is it safe? Thanks in advance.

Jil
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Yes, I have and I believe it has the best overall UVA/UVB protection in a chemical sunscreen. It contains Mexoryl which is the important ingredient. I know that Mag from the YTF forum uses it and swears by it. I know DY uses Anthelios as well but not sure if she gets it from Europe. Mag says the Canadian Anthelios is ok too, but the Europeon one is superior.

KathyC
You can also get it on ebay. That's where I got mine last year. I got the spf 30 spray, It's a nice thin texture, but I haven't seen the spray on ebay this year.
I didn't expect so quick a reply, and I am also surprised that anyone has heard of it.KathyC, you wrote that Diana Yvonne uses it as well? hmmm... I wonder if that means that she finds Mexoryl to be safe? The whole sunscreen thing confuses the heck out of me.

Jil
Picture of LIQUIFY
I use Anthelios fluid extreme and it is wonderful,very light(I have oily skin),mine is spf 40,but there's a spf 60 too.I'm from Europe.
quote:
Originally posted by Jil:
I didn't expect so quick a reply, and I am also surprised that anyone has heard of it.KathyC, you wrote that Diana Yvonne uses it as well? hmmm... I wonder if that means that she finds Mexoryl to be safe? The whole sunscreen thing confuses the heck out of me.
Me too Jil! Yes I heard that Diana Yvonne uses Anthelios, not sure of the SPF. If she uses a chemical sunscreen, that tells me that she doesn't have the confidence in the non-chemical non-micronized ones recommended for use by SRCP users. I'm not sure what to think anymore! Confused

KathyC
This sunscreen-thing drives me crazy. What do you use, KathyC? I just won't go out without sunscreen. I love the Skin Biology products, but I don't believe in "safe-sun", especially given how our ozone layer is being destroyed.

I really hate the idea of doing all this good stuff for my skin, then wrecking the whole thing with a toxic sunscreen.

Jil
Hi Jil, I'm currently using what is supposed to be a non-micronized, non-chemical sunscreen by Anna Bellina with an implied SPF of 15-22. Not really enough protection as far as I'm concerned, but I'll switch to something else when the real summer sun hits. It will have to do for now until I can find something I'm comfortable with!

KathyC
I just got my Athelios from ebay, too, lol! I have the Athelios SPF 60 Flude XL. The PPD is 28 or 30, (UVA measure used in Europe) which is awesome. That is blocking almost all the UVA out. The stuff is great, wonderful texture, goes on well, not heavy or gooey.

It is recommended for melasma, which is why I bought it. I just found out about this stuff last week and am geeked. I'm hoping it rids me on the hyperpigmentation on my face.

BTW, the guy shipping them on ebay is FAST and professional. My stuff was in the original box and even came with samples of other LaRoche products! Oh, and he's by far the cheapest seller out there!

Kathleen
Another Anthelios user here (Fluide XL 60)! The UVA protection blows everything else out of the water and the texture is not at all what you would think of as sunscreenish (avoid the gel and lait/milk formulations for your face, though... they're much greasier)

(And here I thought Anthelios was my little secret...)
Ok guys, you've really piqued my interest now. One question, does it apply well on dry skin? Kathleen, I cannot remember but I think you have dry somewhat sensitive skin like me????

KathyC
LOL, you should share such secrets! Big Grin I just discovered this last week. It is really expensive but I hope worth it.

Kathleen
Hi Kathleen!

How does Anthelios compare to COTZ? Which do you prefer? Seeing that you've used both, which one do you think would be better for dry skin?

Belle
Belle,

There is no comparison in texture between COTZ and Athelios. Athelios wins hands down! It has the most elegant texture of any sunscreen I've ever used. It is very light and silky. I actually have a tendency towards oily, but dehydrated skin, but this does not dry matte or anything, so I think it would be fine for even dry skin, although it was designed for oilier skins. The texture is so light, you won't have any problems putting makeup or anything over it.

COTZ is very heavy and thick--what I didn't like about it. Also, for me, I think it may have been prone to causing breakouts. It also has a sort of sallow cast to it which is not very flattering. Still, if you want only physical sunscreens and your skin is dry, it may work for you. There are sites out there that will send you free samples to try. And many sites let you return a full size if you don't like it.

If you think you may prefer Athelios, they do also have other formulations with the same level of protection. There is a "lait" formula (milk formula) or even a cream. You may find you prefer these if your skin is dry, but unfortunately, I don't know of anywhere to get samples of Athelios and it is expensive if it turns out you don't like it. Also, most cream sunscreens are SO heavy, I don't know if even dry skins prefer them as it hard to put anything on top if you wear makeup.

I don't think you would dislike it the Fluide Extreme or Lait formulas, though.

Also, what I have been doing is aplying it over my emu/ha emulsion in the AM. Then I try to gently pat it into the skin to help it absorb and get rid of some of the shine. Makeup goes on easily over it. I love it and I think if you apply it over your moisturizer, you will be fine. I think you use mineral makeup and you could probably just mix it with the Fluide Extreme to make a liquid foundation/sunscreen in one. (I have been meaning to getting around to ordering some Aromaleigh samples to try this myself). But if in doubt, get the Athelios in the lait formula.

HTH,
Kathleen

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Hi Belle,
I have dry skin and I'm using Anthelios Sunscreen Spray 30 spf, which I was told is like the Anthelios Fluid Extreme in texture. I just put my emu oil or squalane under it and it works out just fine. Cool
Hope that helps,
Diane
quote:
Originally posted by LIQUIFY:
I use Anthelios fluid extreme and it is wonderful,very light(I have oily skin),mine is spf 40,but there's a spf 60 too.I'm from Europe.

This is what I use too. I got it off Ebay in a gift pack containing one 40 spf, one 60 spf and an after sun product. It does tend to look a bit shiny but it's by far one of the best uva/uvb sunblocks. Supposed to be very "photo stable".

I recently got a tip from another message board that applying Clinque's Pore Minimizer Instant Perfector before the sunblock cuts out the shine. I went out and bought soome and it does work. Gives a beautiful finish. You probably won't have that problem if you have dry skin. I have oily skin and look shiny no matter what!
Hi Kathleen! I am pretty much going to go with the Anthelios too I think. I can't find anything else that seems to compare. In your opinion, with my DRY skin, should I get the Fluide Extreme or the Lait??

KathyC
Kathy C,

I'm so sorry, I missed your previous post to me somehow! No, I have somewhat oily skin, not as bad as before, but still oily. But I think you would still love Anthelios. I don't have the Lait, but I believe they are both sily feeling and don't seem drying at all. They are thin and silky. You need a bit of powder over them.

Not to add confusion, but there is also Bioderma Photoderm Max 100, which also has SPF 30. It uses Tinosorb, I believe, instead of Mexoryl and is also very excellent. I bought samples of this and their fluid is more creamy and I think I actually prefer the texture. The Anthelios is very nice, but almost too runny. I am just thinking you might prefer the texture of Biotherma. They also make a Lait. The cream is a bit heavy, like what you expect from a sunscreen, so I wouldn't recommend that. And it's nice to get samples, even though they're expensive.

Kathleen
Sigh..... decisions, decisions...... do you know where I can get some samples? Thanks, Kathleen! Smiler

KathyC
Ok i want to try it. Where did any of you buy the Anthelios? How do you know which version is from Europe and which is from Canada? It looks like there are companies in the us selling it too. Can someone recommend a seller on ebay or elsewhere? I like the idea of the gift pack. Thanks everyone in advance! Greg