Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
A question about TCA Login/Join

posted
I ordered a bottle of 20% TCA solution about a year ago, and did a series of peels once a month, about 6 or 7 times. They were pretty strong, and I had at least a week of seriously ugly downtime, but they really did wonders for my skin - disappeared pores, faded brown spots and generally brightened up the tone.

However, that is about the strongest stuff I ever put on my face. I was pretty shocked that I was able to buy it without any kind of prescription - although glad since a TCA peel in a dermatologist's office is way beyond my budget.

I am going to reorder as I want to start peels again now that summer is over, starting with a pre-Halloween peel, but the 20% was so strong, I might go with a 12.5% instead. Also, when I peeled, I did not use any kind of AHA on my face between peels, only sunscreen and plant oils.

I am now using copper peptides (P&R) at night, and a Neutrogena product containing AHA and sunscreen during the day. If I start doing monthly TCA peels again, would that suffice for the exfoliation step of my copper peptide regime? Or should I just hold off on CP altogether during the month that I do a peel? Hope I'm making sense.

Posts: 10 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 11 May 2012Report This Post
Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear lianeb:

Thank you for posting your question.

If you do try TCA peels again it should definitely provide sufficient exfoliation while using copper-peptide products.

Many do well using a mild copper-peptide along with their peel regimen.

Typically we recommend GHK-Copper Serum or Regular CP Serum because they work exceptionally well to encourage good post-peel recovery and can be easily diluted for use on fragile post-peel skin.

Please see the following links for additional suggestions:
Chemical Peel Skin Recovery with Copper-Peptides

...................................................................................................................

Trichloroacetic acid (TCA) can be very strong on the skin. Even though you've had good success with it, it's good to keep in mind that it is a strong agent. Read Dr Pickart's comments posted on the following threads:
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...310016465#8310016465
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...=954104611#954104611
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...=644104611#644104611

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I was pretty surprised at how strong it was. I had done extensive reading of others' experiences, so I was expecting a burn but WOW! Scared me at first. That's why I want to go down in percentage. I'm just relieved I didn't order the 25%!

It sure is good for spots, though. REALLY speeds things along. Also good for scruffy elbows and toes, I've found. It doesn't burn nearly so bad on thicker, more calloused skin.

I'll have to put some GHK serum in my shopping cart next order. Thanks for the answers hon!

Posts: 10 | Location: Pacific Northwest | Registered: 11 May 2012Report This Post
Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
You're very welcome - Everyone skin is different, so we're happy to hear that you're going slower. It seems that skin responds best to a slow, steady approach.

Please keep in touch and let us know how things go for you!

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
would the TCA help better for sagging skin on legs better than hydroxy acids?

Posts: 11 | Location: IL | Registered: 29 April 2011Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
The hydroxy acids are safer and easier to use. TCA works well when used by an expert in TCA use but mistakes easily cause skin damage.

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
thank you

Posts: 11 | Location: IL | Registered: 29 April 2011Report This Post