Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Parabens Login/Join

Picture of SUchieftan
posted
This might be somewhere on the website but I was unable to locate. Are there any parabens in Skin Biology skin products? Cancer runs in the family and I'm concerned about potential links to parabens and its estrogenic properties.

Posts: 52 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 23 January 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi, SUchieftan,

FYI: I have endometriosis, and none of the SkinBiology products have elevated my estrogen levels. Not sure if you were aware, but there are xenoestrogens (environmental estrogens) and phytoestrogens (plant estrogens) which exist in many of the foods that we eat, and in products we use often. Xenoestrogens can leach from microwaveable plastic containers, and phytoestrogens come from foods containing soy, such as soy protein shakes, tofu, soy sauce, among other things that may not be soy based. Even the very air that we breathe contains xenoestrogens, not to mention the unfiltered water that some of us drink. Think of the hormonal drugs that cannot be filtered from our tap water, on top of other trace medications that are unfiltered in our water also.

Environmental Estrogens: http://www.energeticnutrition....phyto_estrogens.html

Hope this information helps!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

Posts: 140 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 September 2011Report This Post
Picture of SUchieftan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the links pink. I'm not so worried about the unfiltered water I drink as the municipal tap water is one of the cleanest in the world here in city of Seattle. It's places that have to recycle their water that should be more concerned.
My primary concern is for any type of products that come into contact with my skin for extended periods by reapplying creams and such over and over. I am fairly consistent with applying Skin Biology products and I'm gravely concerned about applying anything for an extended period of time. Copper peptides is given such glorious reviews here most of the time from not only the scientific literature provided but through this forum and it's hard to get a true picture & decipher what this stuff is really doing to me below the skin's surface. At this point, I cannot give a glowing review as I don't see it helping to resolve any of my scars and I've been using the stuff (Super Cop/Trireduction/Emu Oil) for well over 2 years now. My scars still look the same as they did before in other words. I'd love to recommend this cream to my mother that underwent a bilateral masectomy to help with the scar tissue but if I can't see any benefit with my small scars on my arm and several on my face from breakouts then what good would it do for my mother that has larger scars across her chest? How long should one be patient to see visible results in terms of full resolution of scars in other words? Should I give it another 2 years in other words before I throw in the towel?

Picture of SUchieftan
posted Hide Post
Besides drink tap and filtered water at times, I live a pretty clean life. I don't microwave if the food or liquid drink is not in glass and eat mostly organic thanks to Whole Foods close by to where I live. Realistically, I realize that I will still be exposed to harmful contaminants from modern living but I feel that I have been taking the necessary safeguards to lessen my exposure for the most part. This certainly has become the challenge for the century for all of us as we try to shield ourselves from external environmental toxins we're bombarding ourselves with every day.

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear SUchieftan:

Update: We have since removed all parabens from our products.

But those links still have very interesting information.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SUchieftan:
Should I give it another 2 years in other words before I throw in the towel?

Dear SUchieftan:

It would be nice to contact us directly at 1-800-405-1912 or via email and go over your regimen in depth over the past 2 years (what you have used, what other products you've tried or haven't tried, and what options as far as method of exfoliation may be better for you).

That way we can personalize a specific regimen or "plan of attack" as it were. The next step would be to take a before picture, just for yourself to track the progress.

The before picture would provide a point of reference that we can come back to after a month or so and see if there are even small improvements in the skin letting us know we are on the right track.

Sometimes it is not so much a matter of strength of products but using the products in a certain manner along with other methods that can make all the difference and optimize your results.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
Picture of SUchieftan
posted Hide Post
Excellent, that's reassuring to know SB. When were the parabens removed from your product line and what have they been replaced with exactly as I purchased the largest bottle of Super Cop 2x that you sell over a year ago and I'm still working through it?

Also, I had a question on your plastic containers that the product is sold in and if they might contain bisphenol with potential to bleed pthalates into the product? I figured this stuff can leach/bleed out into the product and I'd be concerned smearing this concoction onto sensitive areas around my face, nipples, breast, and skin in general. With allergy season here, I'm looking over my limited list of skin products to be sure I'm not aggravating my condition.
Here is the latest WebMD review of parabens dated March 8th, 2012

http://www.webmd.com/asthma/ne...hold-products-asthma

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear SUchieftan:

We now use Phenoxyethanol (or Rose Ether) as the preserving agent in our products.

Actually the change was gradual from September 2010 thru the beginning of 2011.

But Super Cop 2X was one of the first products updated. The formula was adjusted in Sept 2010.

Since then it has not contained any parabens.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
quote:
Also, I had a question on your plastic containers that the product is sold in and if they might contain bisphenol with potential to bleed pthalates into the product?

Dear SUchieftan:

Our clear bottles are PETE or PET.

Our 2oz and 4oz bottles (used for Super Cop as well as other products) are HDPE.

Of course each individual should investigate for themselves and make their own decision on what they feel would be best to do.

But as an option we might recommend (if you are looking for other storage/container options other than the bottles we use) is to empty the product into your own containers and store in the refrigerator.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Picture of SUchieftan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info. I currently have all the Skin Biology products still in their original containers. Good idea offered in terms of transfering them. I have several amber glass containers that I can transfer them into to cut down on the all the nasty chemicals that could be leeching into the copper peptide solution and possibibly accumulating into the tissues. I read somewhere that parabens are found in most human tissues from the cosmetics we use. Not sure where I read this but when women who have had masectomies breast tissues were analyzed they were found to contain high concentrations of parabens. No causal connection made as far as parabens and cancer but since our understanding of how certain cancers develop, I'd rather not take chances.

Picture of SUchieftan
posted Hide Post
I apologize for making this edit here I reread what I just submitted and it didn't flow. I meant to convey that why take uncessary risks when we're all here to make skin and the underlying tissue healthy? Why take the unneccessary risks that plasticizers and parabens used to create the products intended to help you may actually be harming you? The scientific research article I alluded to that found 99% of breast tissue removed from cancerous masectomy tissue was found to have paraben concentrations. This certainly raises the concern level even though no causal relationship can be conclusively drawn proving that parabens or other chemicals may be said to drive cancer's development in the first place.

Picture of SUchieftan
posted Hide Post
It's certainly reassuring that Skin Biology has taken the proactive steps to eliminate Parabens from their products, but I'm concerned about Phthalates and its potential to harm humans by distrupting hormones. If phthalates are banned from toys in the US then shouldn't this translate into things we put on our bodies? Avon, Johnson & Johnson and other big companies have already buckled from consumer concern and have completely eliminated phthalates from their products according to this CBS 60 Minutes investigation.

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=6512528n

Picture of SUchieftan
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skin Biology:
quote:
Also, I had a question on your plastic containers that the product is sold in and if they might contain bisphenol with potential to bleed pthalates into the product?

Dear SUchieftan:

Our clear bottles are PETE or PET.

Our 2oz and 4oz bottles (used for Super Cop as well as other products) are HDPE.

Of course each individual should investigate for themselves and make their own decision on what they feel would be best to do.

But as an option we might recommend (if you are looking for other storage/container options other than the bottles we use) is to empty the product into your own containers and store in the refrigerator.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Picture of SUchieftan
posted Hide Post
I just thought about this as I was transferring my Skin Biology products into amber glass jars -what good would this do since the products likely contain pthalates from being stored in plastics already? In other words, it isn't going to change anything if I transfer containers from plastic to glass. I guess its a trade off, you get the benefits from using copper peptides but knowing full well that you make the sacrifices of absorbing phthalates with continued usage. Concerning to know how ubiquitous phthalates are in the environment.

Picture of SUchieftan
posted Hide Post
Is it safe to assume that since Skin Biology products are packaged in PET or PETE bottles then they are completely phthalate free? I'm trying hard to minimize my exposure to certain manmade chemicals but it's honestly an uphill bottle. Ugh

Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
1. Diet is believed to be the main source of di-2-ethyl hexyl phthalate (DEHP) and other phthalates in the general population. Fatty foods such as milk, butter, and meats are a major source.

We buy our containers form companies that tell us they are FDA acceptable. You could contact the FDA and ask about the phthalate levels in cosmetic containers.

Phthalates are used primarily to soften polyvinyl chloride (PVC). Phthalates are being phased out of many products in the United States, Canada, and European Union over health concerns.

Phthalates are used in a large variety of products, from enteric coatings of pharmaceutical pills and nutritional supplements to viscosity control agents, gelling agents, film formers, stabilizers, dispersants, lubricants, binders, emulsifying agents, and suspending agents. End-applications include adhesives and glues, electronics, agricultural adjuvants, building materials, personal-care products, medical devices, detergents and surfactants, packaging, children's toys, modeling clay, waxes, paints, printing inks and coatings, pharmaceuticals, food products, and textiles.

Diet is believed to be the main source of di-2-ethyl hexyl phthalate (DEHP) and other phthalates in the general population. Fatty foods such as milk, butter, and meats are a major source.

2. No cosmetic products will work for everyone.

You might try advanced products from Revive or Perricone for your skin.

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
Picture of SUchieftan
posted Hide Post
Truth be told that phthalates is ubiquitously found in just about everything from the way food is packaged to pharmaceuticals as you mentioned. Minimizing everyday exposure is key if one cannot totally eliminate phthlates from entering the body. With that said, I understand then that phthalates are to be found in SB products? CBS reported that phthalates were found in dust particles in homes.

Not a big fan of Dr. Perricone or his products. In my opinion, having tried several of his products in the past, they are way overhyped. Since he essentially is the spokesman for his product, I doubt his smooth skin is attributed from using his own products or following his diet protocol but more from a syringe of Brotox, surgical eye lift, and hair dye. I hear HGH injections are pretty commonly used these days to stave off aging skin, hair, muscle atrophy, and overall degeneration. As for Revive, I've never heard of it. Looking at Histogen and their soon to be released skin care line.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SUchieftan,

Dr. Perricone at 63 yrs old