Find
Notify
Tools
Emu Oil Login/Join

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Model_Dr:
Hello Everyone,

Make no mistake about animal based oil including Emu oil; it's simply NOT cruelty free! The primary source of rendered animals is slaughterhouses!! It’s not a question of rumor but a true reality.

Here a Quote I found online at: http://www.peta.org/mc/factsheet_display.asp?ID=72
"The pri-mary source of rendered animals is slaughterhouses, which provide the "inedible" parts of all animals killed for food.

Animal ingredients are used not because they are better than vegetable-derived or synthetic ingredients but rather because they are generally cheaper. Today's slaughterhouses must dispose of the byproducts of the slaughter of billions of animals every year and have found an easy and profitable solution in selling them to food and cosmetics manufacturers."

I saw a post from Skin Biology that mention that no Emu was killed for the Oil but the animal must be DEAD to get the oil out of it, so by using this oil we contribute to Emu farming. If understand this right, the oil doesn't come from their feathers nor other process while the animal is still alive.

In my opinion I cannot in good conscience use oil that I know many animals has suffer and was killed for selfish needs and vanity! Beside I disdain it, just the thought of having oil coming from the insides organs/meat of an animal applied to my skin make my stomach turn.

Unfortunately, everyone has to draw the line somewhere. I only eat free rang and organic meat...but I know it is still killed of course. I try to work to improve slaughterhouse conditions, but other than not eating meat at all (which I don't personally think is healthy and that is just MY opinion, which on one need follow--heck, even my husband is a vegetarian), I don't see how we can avoid it totally. I try to ensure the animal at least leads a cruelty-free life to the exent humanly possible, but I do realize they will face slaughterhouse.

The emus aren't killed for the oil and vanity, but (I think) for their meat.

But I TOTALLY understand those who choose not to use it! I also think PETA is a bit overboard. I believe they think horseback riding is cruel...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kathrynn:
http://www.dpi.qld.gov.au/poultry/5143.html
Just an outline of the guidlines on emu farms etc. In the more Northern parts of Australia the Emu is no different than a chicken or cow is to other cultures. But I do understand and respect others opinions on this matter. The emu farms that I have seen have been free range if thats of any help.

Yes, that is what is important to me! It is nature for animals to kill each other, but humans don't have to TORTURE the animals before they kill them. THAT's what irks me!

I agree with Deb that it is not natural to humans or healthies for them to be vegetarian. Your diet ends up too high glycemic and carbo loaded (which is high glycemic.) I doubt centurians are vegetarians. But I do respect vegetarians--my husband is one! Luckily, he is not vegan so i find ways to get protein into him!

posted Hide Post
All I can say is I agree with you 100%. I Totally support someone's choice to be vegan or vegetarian, but I don't think it's healthy, nor is it the way of nature. And SOY is the WORST product ever foisted on the human population by greedy coroporations who didn't know what to do with all the byproduct left after margarine (made from soy oil) became all the rage. (Now it's a known deadly trans fat!) Soy is barely digestible! There are groups lobbying to ban its use in welfare programs as baby formula. Babies on soy are like taking birth control pills b/c of the estrogen content! It causes thyroid disfunction. The Japenese discovered a long time ago that soy was not digestible unless it was fermented for 2 years. Yes, 2 years. Think the products on the shelves in the stores have been fermented 2 years? Research how they extact soy products and soy protein. It is awful and I won't go near the stuff.

quote:
Originally posted by DebbieNIR:
quote:
Originally posted by Bio_101:
_I must clear up some of the un-founded comments about cruelty free cosmetics and vegetarian diet. This post is to clarify and give out proper information about nutrition which is scientifically documented by some of the best universities around the world.

The same universities that are paid by industry to pump out studies to support whoever pays them? There are actually more university studies supporting my argument than yours, but since 95% of them are all bought and paid for, what is the point?

The health of North Americans is in serious trouble beacuse of the horrible misinformation supplied by trained nutritionists and the government food pyramid!

quote:
It’s un professional and unethical to give out information that is false to discourage a diet and lifestyle they one do not agree with!!

I am talking about science, not my disagreement with a lifestyle. I have no "opinion" on any lifestyle except that based on science. You have the nerve to register, and with your first post attack my professionalism or ethics? Look in the mirror!

quote:
It's the same as supporting cosmetics that are tested on poor animals that are tortured for no reason except our vanity. By using these products you are contributing to the farming of Emu bird, which is being part of the reason these animals are killed! If there’s a demand for a product, it must be supplied.

That is your opinion, not fact! All references posted have indicated that these birds are raised like any other food animal and the oil is simply a by-product. Show us facts that prove more Emus are killed for oil (and the bird just discarded), and I will concede that you are correct.

quote:
Soy protein has the same amino/protein nutritional value as meat without the fat and cholesterol that comes with it! And soy is the most versatile food. Some natural professional bodybuilders (http://www.veganfitness.net/ and http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/ ) and popular professional wrestlers are Vegan using all soy products as protein. It’s scientifically false to say that “you cannot get enough protein to balance the carbohydrate intake.”

Actually, it does not have the same amino/protein value. It is the only complete vegetarian protein, yes, but the amino profile is not the same at all. It is also very low in bioavailability. At 74, it has one of the lowest biological values(BV). Nuts, seeds and veggies are off the scale low at 49. By contrast, egg white is the gold standard at 100.

"The BV of a dietary protein is the efficiency with which the protein deposits, the proper proportions and amounts of the essential aminio acids needed for anabolism. The important factor is not the amount of protein consumed, but the amount of dietary protein that is available to the body after ingestion.

Active vegans, who only consume 100% plant-based foods, are going to have a hard time building and repairing body tissue."

So, not only do vegetarians have a hard time sourcing lower carbohydrate (non-inflammatory) sources of protein, the ones they do use have to be consumed in larger quantities to equal the same grams of animal based protein as processed by the body.

(I have a list of sources if you wish them.)

Soy is among the top 10 human food allergins and there are hundreds of studies showing that over consumption of soy actually causes disease. Initial studies showed that moderate amouints promote health improvements, but soy intake is now very controversial.

Do a google search on "problems with soy" - you will go crazy with information overload!

Of course, it is possible, if you take supplememtal protein to build muscle while remaining vegan. It is just much harder. These athletes have made a moral choice, which is fine. If they are not allergic to soy, and drink lots of protein shakes, they can indeed maintain a healful protein:carbohydrate ratio.

The only protein sources I eat are very low in saturated fat and cholesterol. That is a vegan ploy, as you are referring to high fat meats, egg yolks etc.!

quote:
You said that “I wouldn't look the way I did if I ate vegetarian” _How do you look? Better than: Angela Bassett, Alissia Silverston, Pamela Anderson, Sally Eastall, Olympics marathon runner?_ Just to name a few. Some of the most beautiful people in the world including athletes are Vegan!

Some beautiful people are vegan, but most are not! So picking a few attractive vegetarians is not a valid argument! I could name 100 that are not. Does that prove a single scientific thing? BTW: Pam Anderson looks like crap and is a product of silicone and liposuction, not diet! (bad choice on that one).

And, yes, I do look good! Ask any who have seen my photos. I am fit, lean and very healthy looking. I look like an off season fitness competitor. I look 10-15 years younger than I am.

Would you like to post your picture as well?

(Sarcastic rant over! LOL)

But, you missed my entire point! I said that "I" could not look the way that I do on a vegetarian diet. I, like 70% of the population, am a fast oxidizer and would be sick and unhealthy with those food choices.

You should read some of the classic books on Biochemical Individuality, Metabolic Typing, etc.

quote:
This is the most common perception of a vegetarian diet, which is completely false. Our ancestors ate a Paleolithic Diet which is mostly vegetarian including raw nuts, raw fruits and vegetables. Very sparingly, once a month or so, they eat organ meats. Without any of the refined food we eat now, so if you want the eat like our ancestors as we where designed to, then you have to follow a Paleolithic Diet!!

All the sources that I have talk about lots of animal protein (hunters), along with tubers, roots, herbs, seeds, nuts, fruits and veggies (gatherers).

The foremost authoity on prehistoric (Paleolithic) diets, Dr. Boyd Eaton (antropologist and medical doctor), is very clear on our meat eating history. According to all his (and others) work, we hunted all large and small game, fish, fowl and eggs. While it is true that all the research shows that we wasted nothing (ate all the organ meats and brains), we certainly did not sit down to organ meats once a month. How silly! You suggest cavemen threw away a huge carcas full of meat to have a little organ meat treat once a month. OMG!

quote:
It’s not the natural ways of our bodies to eat 90% of what we eat now days! A vegetarian diet is closer to our “natural way of our bodies” diet then most other diets out there including high protein/meat diets!

I agree fully about the way "most people eat". I don't eat a single processed food. I eat a clean whole foods diet. I eat meat, beans, nuts, seeds, healthy oils, low glycemic fruits and veggies and take numerous supplements that support health and are anti-aging.

A vegetarian diet is not the closest way to how we should eat, although it may indeed be better than the typical American diet. It all depends on the food choices of the vegetarian. There are many overly processed high fat vegan foods as well....meatless patties, metless hot dogs, soy cheese etc....as well as the typical grains and white flour which cause disease.

quote:
I respect others opinions and their lifestyle if that works for them, to each it own, but will not accept scientifically false comments about our physiology and that vegetarian diet is not natural and cannot be a balance diet; in fact it’s one of the healthiest ways of living.

_I have a MD and P.hD in Nutritional science with 15 years of experience at Cancer Recovery Institute in Switzerland. Most of our long term cancer recovery patients are the ones who adapted to a Vegan or raw foodist diet._

It is your opinion that it is one of the healthiest ways to live. Thousands of scientists disgree with you. Your opinions are fine, but attacking my valid science is not!

Your background does not mean you are correct, although I have great respect what you do for a living (working with cancer patients). The second leading cause of death in the US is now the medical profession. Doctors kill more people than cancer! You have to research and take control of your own well being, if you want to be healthy in this society.

BTW: Not that it was ever relevant to my initial post, but I also have an advanced degree in chemistry/biochemistry and have worked with nutrition since 1990.

The debate between those who feel passionate about a lifestyle choice will continue as will the science behind it.

You have not debunked any science with your post, but have proven that you know little of the abundance of research that is out there disproving your "facts".

That said, this board is about skin care and diet/supplements that support skin care.

Moral arguments are best left somewhere else. It only disrupts the community.

There has never been an argument on this board until activists started this argument. If you have an issue with the Emu Oil, I suggest that you address your concerns to Skin Biology and Dr. Pickart.

Deb

Editing to add (wanted to double check my research first).

Pam Anderson has suffered numerous bouts of anorexia and bulemia which she openly admits.

Alicia Silverstone became vagan in 1999 while suffering from eating disorders, after she was attacked by the media as "fat" in "Batman and Robin".

This reflects the statistic quoted and reference by famous nutritional psychologist and author Julia Ross. She states that 50% of all anorexics are vegetarian and that there is a link between the unhelthy eating habits of both lifestyles.

While she applauds the values behind those that choose to be vegetarian, she warns that they have to be very careful as the diet does not naturally contain the essential nutrients for human health.

<Maya>
posted
The Japanese have the longest life expectancy in the world and soy is part of their dietary for years Smiler

http://www.arthurhu.com/index/lifeexpe.htm

Report This Post
<Maya>
posted
Deb,

Do you have a website link of that studies?

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Tangal - I'm curious - I'm an Aussie and, until I'd first heard of emu oil (when I first heard of skinbio) a number of years ago, I didn't even know that emu products were used, let alone farmed.
So - here's a question - I've seen menus with crocodile and kangaroo meat but I've never seen or heard of anyone eating/buying/cooking emu meat and yet these farms supposedly use the meat for consumption. Who eats emu meat? How it is prepared? Is it perhaps for pet food? I'm stumped.

Thanks,
Julie

Posts: 102 | Location: Japan | Registered: 05 July 2004Report This Post
Picture of Tangal
posted Hide Post
Emu is sold in the states as a "specialty" meat - simular to Alligator etc.

Its not normally available in standard Grocery stores. But can be purchased in specialty butcher shops and online.

It is more commonly seen in resteraunts, that serve unique or specialty meat meals.

It is not commonly available, all over the USA. I have really only seen it in larger metropolitian citys, in specialty resteraunts.

Or directly from meat farms, which often sell to their local community areas.

But it is still not a widely popular item, compared to beef, chicken, pork etc. Though many people try it for the "unique" facter, and may continue to consume it for the health benifits.

It is prepared much like lean beef, steaks, burgers, on the grill etc. It is supposed to be very benificial, as the meat is a heart friendly, high protein meat source. I dont remember all the "benifits" But any site that sells EMU meat products, generally list them all. Wink

I think it is supposed to be a good option for people who like "red meats" but want to limit them in their diet. Emu has a red meat taste, but less of the problems associated with high consumption.

Definately not a pet food product, as it is expensive, and would be to costly per/pound as a pet food item.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tangal,

Posts: 140 | Location: world | Registered: 05 January 2005Report This Post
Picture of Tangal
posted Hide Post
This link lists some of the nutrient levels, compairing Emu to Beef, and other exotic meat sources.

http://www.emusingsecrets.com/meat.html?source=overture

posted Hide Post
Glad to see that I there is someone out there that believes me about the soy dangers! I think my husband grows weary of me constantly going on and on about how to eat right!

Deb, do you think it's sufficient to take the high EPA/DHA gels or is there something else in the fish? (Besides the fact that the Japanese are avoiding red meats and using fish as their protein sources.) My understanding is that it is the EFAs in the fish.

My other question is regarding the Japanese eating low glycemic. I know they eat tons of WHITE rice, which is high glycemic. But I also read that stirfrys are low glycemic. I assumed they meant the stirfy part, not the rice. Does the high fish and veggie ratio to rice bring the glycemic load down for the average Japanese dish?

I stopped making rice for my husband and only cook brown basmati for him or give him sprouted bread with dinner-if I give him any grains at all!

posted Hide Post
I laughed as soon as i heard the story on CNN about higher grains in the new pyramid. The cereal industry must really be padding the pockets of this administration.

Posts: 171 | Location: Des Moines Iowa | Registered: 30 June 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tangal,
Wow, you learn a new thing every day. Thanks for the info. Nothing about eating emu meat in Oz? Do you think that all emu meat from Oz is exported to the States as a specialty food? I'm just wondering - cos if there are a number of emu farms, seems quite a bit - where is the demand. Surely not just specialty restaurants in more metropolitan areas of the States.
I had no idea people at that bird, except for indigenous Australians of course.

cheers
Julie

posted Hide Post
ROFLMAO...

Deb, I LOVE the way you laid out Bio_101. I was hollering "You go girl!" halfway through your first post. Priceless. And everything you said was right on the money. Boy, did s/he have it coming. And, while I respect the good manners of everyone here on this board, and I think it's great that everyone's so respectful of other opinions, I just wanted to say that it's my opinion that Bio_101 was nothing more than an internet TROLL, with no advanced degrees in anything except maybe outdated disinformation. I thought the soy question was resolved back in the late '90's, for example. If I had a quarter for every self-righteous vegan militant I'd run across in my career as a massage therapist who was spouting that "holier and healthier than thou vegetarian" tripe I'd be a rich woman.

And PLEASE don't anyone think that I am down on vegetarians...I AM NOT and respect the lifestyle 100%. I have several vegetarian friends, and I've even tried it myself. It's a very personal choice. But I listen to my body, and it literally makes me sick and tired if I go vegetarian for more than a couple of weeks. And I know there are a lot of people like me out there. A great deal of what vegans say to justify their lifestyle choice and attempt to foist it upon others is pure myth and outright fabrication that has take on a life of its own just from sheer repetition. I'm only saying all this because some seemed to be concerned about respecting Bio_101's feelings...and judging from the content and tone of her message, she's not worth it. She in all probability lied about her qualifications and showed a pro (Deb) no respect at all. Thus, she revoked her claim to any that may have been accorded her.

And thanks to everyone who posted about emus! I learned so much from this one post!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AmyLou:
ROFLMAO...

Deb, I LOVE the way you laid out Bio_101. I was hollering "You go girl!" halfway through your first post. Priceless. And everything you said was right on the money. Boy, did s/he have it coming. And, while I respect the good manners of everyone here on this board, and I think it's great that everyone's so respectful of other opinions, I just wanted to say that it's my opinion that Bio_101 was nothing more than an internet TROLL, with no advanced degrees in anything except maybe outdated disinformation. I thought the soy question was resolved back in the late '90's, for example. If I had a quarter for every self-righteous vegan militant I'd run across in my career as a massage therapist who was spouting that "holier and healthier than thou vegetarian" tripe I'd be a rich woman.

And PLEASE don't anyone think that I am down on vegetarians...I AM NOT and respect the lifestyle 100%. I have several vegetarian friends, and I've even tried it myself. It's a very personal choice. But I listen to my body, and it literally makes me sick and tired if I go vegetarian for more than a couple of weeks. And I know there are a lot of people like me out there. A great deal of what vegans say to justify their lifestyle choice and attempt to foist it upon others is pure myth and outright fabrication that has take on a life of its own just from sheer repetition. I'm only saying all this because some seemed to be concerned about respecting Bio_101's feelings...and judging from the content and tone of her message, she's not worth it. She in all probability lied about her qualifications and showed a real pro (Deb) no respect at all. Thus, she revoked her claim to any that may have been accorded her.

And thanks to everyone who posted about emus! I learned so much from this one post!

<DebbieNIR>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by AmyLou:
ROFLMAO...

Deb, I LOVE the way you laid out Bio_101. I was hollering "You go girl!" halfway through your first post. Priceless. And everything you said was right on the money. Boy, did s/he have it coming. And, while I respect the good manners of everyone here on this board, and I think it's great that everyone's so respectful of other opinions, I just wanted to say that it's my opinion that Bio_101 was nothing more than an internet TROLL, with no advanced degrees in anything except maybe outdated disinformation.

LMAO Notice that she never came back????? Her one and only post! I agree...troll!

I know what you mean about the pure nonsense that is spread by vegans to try and convince people of their hollier than thou choice.

I too have every respect for vegetarianism in all forms as a moral choice, but when they start manipulating science (and evolution - didn't you just love the part about the monthly organ meat snacks!) to try to further their claims, that is where it goes from bad to worse.

I think alot of the confusion comes from the fact that many vegans made poor food choices before switching, and initially feel much better because they have stopped eating the toxic foods that healthy non-vegans don't eat either, so they feel better. Increasining your intake of nutrient and fiber rich fruits and veggies is always going to help. Nutritional deficiencies don't tend to show up for a few months in vegetarians, so it is not readily apparent that it is unhealthy.

IMHO, vegan organizations are sort of like religion. They are very steeped in dogma. It is a very volatile subject to discuss as it brings into play intense emotions.

I do belive that the morality issue is better left with religion and politics - too controversial to discuss.

BTW: I saw nothing wrong with those who do not wish to support emu oil as an animal by-product, but it was the false science that was the alarm for me.

How cool is it that Kathleen and her husband can live in harmony with different moral choices about nutrition! I applaud that acceptance of each others needs (and also Kathleen's dediction to keep that non-flesh protein into him!)

Deb Smiler

Report This Post
Picture of Tangal
posted Hide Post
Well I really can't comment about Australia, the resteraunts, or the inport/export issues. Since I have never been there. So I dont really know anything about that market. It may be a completely different market.

I can assure you though Emu is eatten in the USA in a number of places. I have seen it personally in different cities and areas.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Tangal,

posted Hide Post
No worries Tangal, it was just a comment after reading Julies post. Smiler

On the subject of emu oil. As posted before I am not in favour of it for ethical reasons, however I have ended up with a sample pot, not sure if I ordered it or it just came as a sample.

I have been using it out of curiousity after all the recommendations, I find it a bit thick and oily in consistancy and the smell puts me off a bit too, but I have to say I do have a very sensitive nose and smells really impact on me. I don't like night eyes smell either although getting used to it. The emu oil just smells like an animal product to me which I guess is no surprise considering it is. LOL

I doubt I would order it again. Think I'll stick with squalene. Just my opinion.

Posts: 178 | Location: Australia | Registered: 02 December 2004Report This Post
<Maya>
posted
I have 2 Emu Oils here, one is SB brand and the other I bought off Platinum. I find the SB's ones has a strong smell and the other doesn't quite as strong and these two have different color the SB's ones is orangy yellow-ish and the other kind of cream-ish.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Tangal,
Oh I certainly don't doubt what you're telling us about emu meat being eaten in the US, my comments (and no doubt Lady Latte's comments also) are more related to us Aussies wondering why the meat is eaten overseas, but not in Australia and Australians (in Australia anyway) aren't even aware that emu meat is eaten anywhere else in the world. This seems very strange to me (and probably to the Lady, too).

Which brings me back to my own wonderings - where is the meat from the Aussie emu farms going? I'm talking out loud here - is it all getting exported to the States? there are also emu farms in the States, I think. I guess I just would have imagined that the US farms would supply the US meat. But yes, emu "by-products" in Oz - well I haven't lived there for a long time, though I visit, are there other products besides the oil for sale there?

I guess I'm not feeling so comfortable about what the emus on the Aussie farms are used for. Is the oil a by-product, or is it more primary in Oz? Do they export the meat? Hmmmm...... If it's a by-product, like leather, I can deal with using it, but if it's more primary in Oz, then I'm not happy. Pity, cos I quite like the new emu oil.

That's a new subject. I have an old emu oil that I keep in the fridge - hardly ever used it, and it's fine. This oil is more creamy coloured. Recently, from a DY order an emu oil sample arrived - it is more yellow, obviously this is the new rendition from skinbio. I must say I like the new version - the 'animal product' smell seems to have gone, that was quite present to my nose in the older version and I didn't like having that smell around my face, but I could easily use the new stuff.

However, I'd like to know more about what happens to emu meat in Oz before I'd think of purchasing more. Skinbio people, I assume you purchase from birds farmed in the US?

I guess I'll use up the older emu oil on feet. I read somewhere here that it's good for dry cracked soles. Mine are always like that.

posted Hide Post
I agree with Deb--if you can't ethically use emu oil (or any animal products) I totally respect that. I honestly wish I had such fortitude. But there are so many good things to be had from our winged and four-legged kindred that if they're not endangered, I simply give thanks and use and eat what I get with respect.

I have seen emu in the frozen section of my local health food store...it's a bit pricey, but I've been wanting to give it a try. Maybe now I'll go ahead and do it.

Speaking of emu oil odor, for Lady Latte and Maya...I just recieved two samples from an emu oil farmer in Tennessee that are FABULOUS and have no odor at all. One is for "once refined" emu oil, which has all the toxins and other crudes taken out, but has more moisture in it (and thus a shorter shelf life) than "twice refined" (or completely refined and certified by the American Emu Association ) emu oil. Certified oil undergoes lab testing by an AEA chemist. I honestly found that I like the once refined consistency better...it was yellower and creamier than the certified oil. And although the owner told me I might get a little odor from the once refined, I didn't notice any at all. The emu oil I bought from the health food store, however, which is not certified, and is white and of an inferior consistency to the two samples I just got, has quite an odor. So I dunno if it's the manufacturers or what.

The greatest thing about once refined is that it's cheap...you can get a gallon for $100. For a massage therapist or anyone who uses a lot of oil, that's fantastic. They also offer a bunch of different sizes for the certified emu oil, from 1oz up to a gallon (which is about $250--still a good deal). I even talked to the owner when I called (to ask specific questions about the difference between once refined and certified) and she couldn't have been nicer. She gave me my samples for free. Wonderful customer service, and my package got here in two days. If anyone's interested, here's the link: http://lbemuoil.com/

I hope SB doesn't mind me posting that on this d-board. I wasn't going to, even though I was excited about the products, but the direction of this thread inspired me to do it.

posted Hide Post
I also wanted to say that I plan to order more products (once refined and certified) from these people in the very near future. I was very impressed.