Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Emu Oil Login/Join

Picture of Tangal
posted Hide Post
The quality of the oils are directly related to the refining processes.

"Better quality" or more refined, and more costly oils are generally white, or slightly off white, light cream, in color, odor free, or with a faint odor, and smooth non-grainy.

Poorer quality oils are more yellow, more smelly, and can be more grainy.

Grainy and or smelly oils are usually not prefered in skin care products for facial use, are generally cheaper, and reserved for soaps, or body creams etc. where they are combined with other ingrediants to offset the scent/color/texture issues.

(This of course would be for oils without any additives, which SB uses. Because the addititves themselves can impart color, odor or texture differences.)

Though EMU meat is a more expensive exotic meat in the USA, that is not to say, it may not be handled differntly in OZ.

Maybe look up info on the EMU Associations for your country, which may give more info on the ratio of how the meat etc is handled.

There may be a very large inport market to other contries besides the USA. EMU is becoming more popular in other countries as well, and many of them dont have a large local EMU farm base. Or it may indeed be part of the pet food market in your country.

We do also have an Emu products inport market in the USA also, as I have seen various Emu products advertised as being "better" because they come directly from Australia. Though from the actual nutrient levels etc. the quality is really not much different, but of course any advertising gimmick can sway uninformed consumers, even if it is not really accurate.

However I dont have any idea what the actual market figures or ratios would be, on import sales vs. in-country produced sales.

Posts: 140 | Location: world | Registered: 05 January 2005Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I read somewhere that the color doesn't have as much to do with the quality of the oil as it does with what the emus get fed (grain vs. a more varied diet). The LB certified oil is whiter than the once refined, however.

That being said, I just wanted to add that the once refined from LB is not grainy or smelly at all. The only differences I can really see or feel between it and the certified is that the O.R. is thicker and a little more yellow.

I'm not necessarily trying to persuade anyone here to use these products, but I wanted to clear up any misconceptions as to their quality. I was very impressed by quality of the oils, the literature that accompanied them--including chemical analyses and comparison of the two levels of refinement, which admittedly did not mean jack to me in terms of being able to understand it, LOL--and the customer service.

I found LB processors through the American Emu Association, which sets the chemical analysis standards for emu oil certification.

posted Hide Post
What grade of EMU Oil does SB use? Does anyone know if it is fully refined and Certified by the American Emu Association? I could not find any of this information on the website. Thanks.

Posts: 301 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 18 December 2004Report This Post
Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear Maya:

Just a note on the differences between Skin Biology's Emu Oil-S and other emu oils:

If you use another emu oil from another quality source that's fine. But you may notice that our Emu Oil-S may have a different smell or look.

Our Emu Oil-S (S - standing for Supplemented) has added to it our own mix of biological oils and antioxidants such as Ubiquinone, isomers of tocotrienols, natural isomers of Vitamin E, Co-Q10, lycopene, and leutin. In other words it is overloaded with additional ingredients for the benefit of the skin. So it is more than just emu oil alone.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
There is no animal aroma to Emu Oil at all. It is odorless as mentioned in another thread.

My nose can pick up smell at 100 paces.
My sister constanly argues with me that olive oil has no smell either. LOL

Posts: 178 | Location: Australia | Registered: 02 December 2004Report This Post
<DebbieNIR>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Lady Latte:
My nose can pick up smell at 100 paces.
My sister constanly argues with me that olive oil has no smell either. LOL

I think olive oil has a strong smell. LOL That is because I use the first cold press extra virgin organic olive oil. It still has a slight yellow-green colour as well. It smells, well, kind of like olives! Razzer

But, if you buy the highly refined "extra light" olive oils, they have no smell to me at all.

As I had to be able to evaluate rancidity in oil blends for medical liquid diet formulas, just by aroma (in a prior job), I was trained to be able to detect traces of free acids and peroxides (breakdown products) by smell alone, so my nose is quite sensitive as well.

All oils have an "oily" smell to me, which I am well used to, but the emu oil has no overtones (that my nose can detect) other than the basic oil smell plus a slight change with the recent addition of antioxidants.

Deb Smiler

Report This Post
<Maya>
posted
If I have to choose between the two of Emu Oil I have, I still prefer the Platinum ones which has faint odor and smooth non-grainy also creamish in color. They claim that their 100% Pure Certified Emu oil is certified by The American Emu Association and fully refined and not just filtered or refined.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Question: Are these other emu oils peroxide free as Skin Bio's is or would any refined oil be peroixde free?

Thanks!

<Maya>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen:
Question: Are these other emu oils peroxide free as Skin Bio's is or would any refined oil be peroixde free?
Thanks!

The Emu Oil S is peroxide free, not sure the one I bought from Platinum, it has creamish off-white in color (pure 100% certified emu oil without extras) and only faint smell, if you curious may be you could e-mail them and let us know.

Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently asked Skin Bio if their Emu is fully refind and certified by the American Emu Association. The response I received is that is is refined and certified by the Association.

I'm still not sure if it is FULLY refined though. Does anyone know the answer to this? I read the following information on the AEA website regarding the difference between ONCE refind and FULLY refined. Does anyone have any comments/opinions on this info?

What are the Emu Oil Trade Rules?
The trade rules were established by the American Emu Association under the advisement and consultation of members of the American Oil Chemist Society. These rules were modeled after trade rules established by other natural oil industries, such as soybean, cotton seed, rice oil and so forth. These well-defined trade rules help the buyer know what grade of pure oil that they are purchasing. The Emu Oil Trade Rules are divided into three different grades, Crude, Once Refined and Fully Refined.These Emu Oil Trade Rules are defined and displayed on the AEA website at www.aea-emu.org. Trade Rules for Emu Oil | Details: Rule 102 | Details: Rule 103 | Details: Rule 104

What is Fully Refined Emu Oil?
Pure emu oil* that has been properly processed and has met the stringent specifications listed in the Fully Refined Trade Rules for moisture content below 0.10%, Peroxide (oxidation component) below 2 and Free Fatty Acid (oxidation component) below 0.10 %.

Why is Fully Refined Emu Oil Important?
This Fully Refined designation or specification for pure emu oil* is primarily for the safety of the consumer.If moisture is above the 0.10% level, bacteria will have a tendency to grow. By removing the peroxide and free fatty acids, other contamination components will be removed, for example; hormones, toxic metals, pesticides, viruses and infections (e-coli, salmonella for example that may have contaminated the raw material at the animal processing plants).

What Danger is it to use grades of pure emu oil that are not Fully Refined?
Danger only exists when the pure emu oil is to be used on the human skin or is to be taken orally. If the pure emu oil is not Fully Refined, there is risk that the oil is contaminated or has not been sterilized. To be assured that you are purchasing Fully Refined Emu Oil, always look for the AEA Certification Seal on every bottle of emu oil that you buy. If the AEA Certification seal is not exhibited on the bottle of pure emu oil that you purchase, then you are merely taking the word of the seller that the grade of emu oil is what they are claiming. Products companies should request a certificate of analysis to ensure that the grade purchased is compliant with the Trade Rules.

What are the Emu Oil Trade Rules?
The trade rules were established by the American Emu Association under the advisement and consultation of members of the American Oil Chemist Society. These rules were modeled after trade rules established by other natural oil industries, such as soybean, cotton seed, rice oil and so forth. These well-defined trade rules help the buyer know what grade of pure oil that they are purchasing. The Emu Oil Trade Rules are divided into three different grades, Crude, Once Refined and Fully Refined.These Emu Oil Trade Rules are defined and displayed on the AEA website at www.aea-emu.org. Trade Rules for Emu Oil | Details: Rule 102 | Details: Rule 103 | Details: Rule 104

Posts: 301 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 18 December 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
If it's certified it's fully refined, is my understanding. "Once refined" can be pure emu oil, but it is not certified or certifiable.

What the lady at LB Emu Farm told me is that their once-refined (cosmetic grade) oil is pure, and as free from peroxide and other contaminants as the fully refined, but that once-refined has a higher moisture content and thus a shorter shelf life--it can grow bacteria and mold more quickly. The extra refining process that the certified oil goes through evidently reduces the moisture content of the oil, thus stabilizing it for longer storage. It may also homogenize the oil in some way so that it doesn't separate.

She told me if I decided to buy the once-refined I should store all but the little I use "right now" (I figure about a week's worth) in the refrigerator. It should keep that way for a year or maybe longer.

I don't know if all once-refined oil is as clean as LB Farms...I'm just going by what the owner told me and she seemed very straight-up and sent me my samples for free, just because I had questions. But as I said in my earlier post, both the certified and once-refined from http://lbemuoil.com/ are excellent products. I like them both very much.

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear Bio_101 and Model_Dr:

We've noticed you are using the same IP address (?).

-Skin Biology

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
Picture of Model_Dr
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skin Biology:
Dear Bio_101 and Model_Dr:

We've noticed you are using the same IP address (?).

-Skin Biology

This is a late reply as i just saw it now!

I use my computer at university based medical school- hospital. Our netwowrk is big, maybe someone else from here is on this board too?

Posts: 112 | Location: VKH | Registered: 02 January 2005Report This Post
Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear Model_Dr:

No problem - It's just that the program/system we use for the message board monitors these things.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology