Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Please HELP--I'm so confused! Login/Join

posted
I guess I just have to ask. I've been reading the site and chat for awhile, but still don't know for sure where to start. I feel like a total dummy for not being able to figure this out and I'll blame it on the crazy stress in my life for now, but I really need your help!

What products/procedures are best for someone who's still breaking out a bit, has what may be BP damage and at least one sebaceous hyperplasia, a few fine lines and generally, dull, rough skin tone? I don't even know if my skin is normal, dry or oily anymore! LOL! I was using Green Cream retinoid, level6, whenI found this site a couple of months ago and ordered several kits and samples, and have recently moved up to level 9 Green Cream, but my skin is still a mess, plus rougher than ever. If I use a scrub product or Buf-Puf it feels somewhat better for a while, but the roughness comes back within 8 hours or so. Although I got some creams in my samples, I have avoided using them for the most part due to the clogged pores on my nose and sides of nose and the breadkouts I mentioned, but I have occasionally used the Emu Oil. My face even feels a bit sore at times, yet still congested and gunky-looking, if you know what I mean. Its hard to describe, but I hope someone here will understand and offer subbestions, PLEASE! ~Thanks

Posts: 20 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 21 September 2011Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
To reduce the appearance of blemishes, the key is to avoid new breakouts since many treatments can cause more breakouts.

You can use SRCPs either in the morning or at night. This works for most people but some people do not like the very slight blue tint that occasional occurs during the day and use the SRCPs at night. Since hydroxy acids and retinoic acid (Retin-A, Renova) can cause sun sensitivity, most people use these at night.

But as you progress in your treatment, your skin may look worse before it looks better. This is because buried skin damage becomes visible. But keep treating your skin and the buried damage will be pushed up and eventually out of your skin.

The best way to reduce the appearance of blemishes and lessen pores:

1. In the morning, apply Super CP Serum (SRCPs plus salicylic acid) and leave it on. Start with a maximum of 4 drops daily, then slowly increase the amount used

2. At night, wipe your face with a 2% salicylic acid pad. Drugstores have these.

3. Then apply a light amount of LacSal Serum (8.5% Lactic Acid + 1.5% Salicylic acid) and leave it on.

4. For pitted blemishes, some people use stronger hydroxy acids and/or retinoic acid (Retin-A) in the morning. Some people use a mixture of 2% salicylic acid, 10% glycolic acid, and 0.05% retinoic acid to reduce the look of blemishes in the morning and then use Super Cop 2X at night. But this is very strong so be careful about over irritation.

5. About every two weeks, use pore cleansing strips on oily, blemish-prone areas. Drugstores have these. Just do not overuse these to the point of skin
irritation.

6. Many people use this method one day and anti-blemish products (Retin-A,etc.) on alternate days.

7. Never use any product that contains benzoyl peroxide - many people report that long term use of benzoyl peroxide causes lumpy skin and more scarring. In 1995 the FDA changed benzoyl peroxide from a Category I (safe) to a Category III (safety is uncertain) ingredient and stated this action was based on new information that raised a safety concern regarding benzoyl peroxide as a tumor promoter in mice.

8. Some people use a toothpick or tattoo needle to loosen tough scar tissue and to push hydroxy acids and Super Cop into deep scars. Skin Needle Rollers also help remove scars but do not use these more than once per week and sterilize them as the sellers recommend.

9. Microdermabrasion cloths also work well to loosen up scar tissue. Drugstores have these.

10. Remember, it is a balancing act between reducing the look of blemishes and rejuvenating new skin.

11. Emu Oil-S for Skin works well to moisturize blemish-prone dry skin and rarely causes breakouts.

12. Going slow is best. Each day try to remove just a very small amount of scar tissue. Improving the appearance may take several months.

13. Stress inhibits skin rejuvenation by increasing blood cortisol. Temporary use of 25 mgs daily of DHEA may help block the cortisol effect and stimulate skin repair.

14. Regular aerobic exercise floods more blood into the skin and speeds skin rejuvenation and health.

15. Daily supplements of 1 gram vitamin C, 1 gram MSM, and 1 gram of flaxseed oil, borage oil, or primrose oil also help skin rebuilding.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I wasn't expecting such a prompt response and from you, especially, Dr. Pickart! Thank you so much. I think I understand the idea of a balancing act between removing damaged/blemished skin with hydroxy acids and retinoids (Green Cream, in my case) and rejuvenating the skin with SRCP's. But (and please forgive me if I'm over-complicating things), my skin's feel and appearance still has me a bit baffled.

I'm not breaking out that badly, maybe more of a purging effect (?). What bothers me is the dull look and rough feel of my face. It doesn't feel really dry or tight (I know what that feels like from using treatment products like the dreaded benzoyl peroxide in the past), nor does it have that shiney/smooth look that skin can get when well-exfoliated. Its not red, either. So, I'm wondering if my skin is severely congested/caked (Yuck!) with oils/dead skin cells and needs some concentrated effort applied toward exfoliation BEFORE even starting with the SRCP's so they can actually penetrate. Another reason I'm thinking this may be the problem is that when I apply Emu Oil, my face doesn't really look or feel any softer or smoother (my lips and hands do, though).

Even though I've been using the Green Cream, which exfoliates, I had to take a long break from using it recently due to some fairly uncomfortable irritation when I upped the level from Green Cream 6 to 9. I'm now using it 2 times a week.

I don't want to move to a stronger acid than the LacSal since I'm working on aclimating my skin to the higher level Green Cream. What do you think of the idea of using the salicylic acid pads then applying LacSal twice a day on days I don't use the Green Cream and waiting to begin using CP's?

Thanks again for your advice as well as an information-loaded site and super products!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

posted Hide Post
Continuing my "I'm so confused thread"...I'm wondering now if I am confused by what some of you here on the chat call "damaged skin" being pushed to the surface...could this damaged skin just look and feel like generally rough, somewhat bumpy skin? Could this be what I'm observing with my face right now? Does anyone know if the retinol/retinoid (not sure which) in Green Cream could cause this?

Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok...I'm re-reading and trying to absorb! I think I may have just read too much too quickly and confused myself (I'm good at that!). In the meantime, I would appreciate your thoughts on what I am doing...

AM--just rinse with water and leave things alone to avoid more irritation

PM--After rinsing/wetting face, I use a scrub product to remove some of the build-up of dead skin, etc. I spoke of in my earlier post. I tried microdermabrsion cloths as well as a Buf-Puf for this purpose, but get far better results with the fine-grained scrub. After rinsing the acrub off, I then wash with Dr. Pickart's Cleanser and allow my face to air-dry. Next, I wipe with a 2% salicyclic acid solution on a cotton pad and apply LacSal serum. Lastly, I apply a "sort-of" moisturizer--my own version--a mix of mostly aloe vera gel, a few drops of glycerin, a few drops of Emu oil and a few drops of Squalane. Twice a week I replace the salicylic acid solution and LacSal with Green Cream level 9 buffered and then topped with my homemade "moisturizer".

I've been following this routine for the past week and my skin does feel much smoother,softer and no more breakouts as of yet. The combination of wiping with the BHA pads plus applying LacSal seems to be more effective than ethier used alone as I did before, so thanks for reminding me that you recommend this for blemishes/breakouts. This is the best my skin has looked and felt for awhile, so I'm excited and hopeful!

I'd like to start using CP's, but wonder if I need to give my skin a little more time to adjust to the Green Cream before adding another active?

Please let me know what you think of my routine and when I should add a CP. Thank you for your time and advice, Dr. Pickart. And Happy New Year!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,

Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
You should be able to start the CPs now. But start them lightly.

posted Hide Post
Will do, Dr. Pickart. Thanks again, and I'll post about my progress.