Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Hydration Login/Join

posted
Could you guys talk about the importance of hydration and the relationship it has in preventing wrinkles?

I drink a lot of water, and sometimes my skin does not feel properly hydrated.

I am hoping that from what Ive been reading here, that the copper peptides will help, but I would love any insights into the nature of this.

Posts: 28 | Location: Memphis | Registered: 21 October 2013Report This Post
Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear arline:

Thanks for posting your question!

Drinking plenty of water is certainly good for your health. However, by itself it won’t make your skin hydrated.

Two key elements of your skin’s water holding capacity are: (1) A healthy stratum corneum (the upper skin layer) and (2) Water-holding molecules in your dermis (collagen and glycosaminoglycans).

If your stratum corneum allows excessive water loss – your skin will look and feel dry. If your startum corneum is healthy, but your dermis cannot bind water because of problems with collagen and glycosaminoglycans – your skin may not even feel particularly dry, but you will develop lax skin and wrinkles.

Copper-peptides support your skin’s own ability to build better collagen and glycosaminoglycans as well as to restore the water holding capacity of stratum corneum.

You can read more about skin hydration if you sign for our free Intelligent Skin Care Online Mini-Course (see the front page of our website for details).

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
(by Anna Margolina)

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much! I have been wondering about this for a while now, because I KNOW I drink plenty of fluid.

I am going to read the information on the mini course right now.

I am so hopeful, now that I started using the copper peptides. It is too early to tell, as I have only been using them for two weeks. I will say however, that my face has not been as dry feeling as it was, and I have just come out of a humid summer, and the air is much dryer now. SO... YAY!!!!

posted Hide Post
I have been unable to access the information from the intelligent skin care online mini course, about restoring water capacity in the skin.

I have signed up for the course though.

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear arline:

Thanks for signing up for the course; we hope you've been learning new information each week.

The course only covers one topic a week.

The section on skin hydration (moisturization) will appear later on in the course. But don't worry. It is coming!

Here's another tip from that section on true skin moisturization:

"Normal stratum corneum contains Natural Moisturizing Factor (NMF) — which is a selection of water binding molecules such as minerals, lactic acid and amino acids.

However, if you tend to overuse hot water and harsh soaps, your NMF may be depleted. In this case, every time you wash your face, your keratinous scales will first swell with water and then quickly dry up becoming hard and brittle. This rapid transition from soft to hard is what creates the feeling of tightness.

So remember: Your skin needs NMF to stay soft and smooth. If your skin feels dry, think about restoring your NMF in the stratum corneum."

Be sure to check your email once a week if you've signed up for the course. The section on moisturization is very insightful. Once it comes to you in your inbox, we know you'll really enjoy these practical tips on how best to "lock-in" moisture.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, I look forward to the information.

I honestly don't use harsh products. I may have my water to warm at times, but that is all I can figure.

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear arline:

Are you finding that your skin has been excessively dry lately?

Do you mind copying your current skincare regimen and perhaps we can see ways in which you can make adjustments so that you better lock in your moisture?

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

posted Hide Post
Thank you for the recent course on moisturization! I'm loving the weekly courses. Dr. Pickart's books are chock full of information, but the courses here may be a little updated and are awesome at keeping us educated and informed Smiler

I'm vaguely interested in a product sold online that claims to give your skin a luminous glow, which has several ingredients that do not appear harmful; however I would appreciate your thoughts/opinions on the ingredients (see below) and if they would compete with CPs or topical exfoliants such as LacSal or Lactic Power 10. I noticed sodium hyaluronate is included though, which is not good for the skin.

Ingredients: Water, Dimethicone, Thermus Thermophillus Ferment, Pentylene Glycol,
Saccharomyces/Xylinum/Black Tea Ferment, Glycerin, Vaccinium Myrtillus Fruit/Leaf Extract,
Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Silica, Dimethiconol, Squalane,
Saccharum Officinarum (Sugar Cane) Extract, Xanthan Gum, Pentylene Glycol, Sucrose Dilaurate,
Chondrus Crispus Extract, Palmaria Palmata Extract, Chlorphenesin, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis (Orange)
Fruit Extract, Citrus Limon (Lemon) Fruit Extract, Glycine Soja (Soybean) Oil, Polysorbate 20,
Polysorbate 60, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Disodium Edta,
Tetrahexyldecyl Ascorbate, Soil Minerals, Glucose, Acer Saccharum (Sugar Maple) Extract, Pisum
Sativum (Pea) Extract, Lavandula Angustifolia (Lavender) Oil, Lavandula Hybrida Oil, Synthetic
Sapphire, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Phenoxyethanol, Butylene Glycol, Sodium Hyaluronate, Sodium
Potassium Aluminum Silicate, Pancratium Maritimum Extract, Anthemis Nobilis Flower Oil, Brassica
Napus Extract, Rhizophora Mangle Bark Extract, Hexapeptide-2, Titanium Dioxide (Ci 77891), Mica.

I look forward to your response!

Thanks Smiler

Posts: 140 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 September 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My dry skin is not new, in fact it has been dry forever. I will say, that even before I found you guys, I pretty much stopped using creams, and have been blending my own mixture of bio oils and essential oils. My skin likes that

I WAS using hyaluronic acid, until I started using skin biology, and have since read on this forum, how it is not really all that great to use. I have to say, that I did find some brands that I tried, made my skin drier.

Lately, I have noticed that something is going on. I am not sure what is happening, so I am giving it a few more days. It feels like change, but I cant assess myself clearly at the moment, as I am sleep deprived today, and I know that affects the skin.

Right now my skin care reg, is

AM wash with your cleanser (just a dot), followed by skin signals cream, then on the eyes, cp night eyes, emu oil on top. I often apply more emu oil later through out the day

PM wash w/ a dot of cleanser, lacsal cream, and 40 minutes later, squalane with retional

folligen cream on lash line and sometimes brow, hair line, and I dip a qtip into the spray, and apply it to the rest of my scalp

posted Hide Post
I also wanted to ask, What is the difference between skinsignals cream, and skin signals solution, and skin signals cream? Are they the same thing?

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear pinkdervish:

Well... the product you listed does seem to have a LONG list of ingredients.

Some things Dr. Pickart has commented on before are:

Dimethicone - https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...241096846#5241096846
and Hexapeptide (even at low levels) - https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...341052846#6341052846

And we thought the addition of "synthetic sapphire" was strange.

For skin glow you may want to just use a copper peptide product like Super GHK-Copper Serum or CP Serum with a little bit of biological oil/moisturizer mixed or applied after.

We're so happy you are enjoying the courses tho!

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arline:
I also wanted to ask, What is the difference between skinsignals cream, and skin signals solution, and skin signals cream? Are they the same thing?

Dear arline:

The main difference between Skin Signals Solution and Skin Signals Cream is that the cream is better suited for normal-to-dry skin types due to its additional moisturizing agents and lipid replenishers.

The Cream also has a bit of GHK (1st Generation Copper Peptides) added to it. And it is loaded with a number of antioxidants. The Cream version is also easier to spot treat with or for use in a specific area.

P.S. Arline, have you tried our CELES Therapeutic Oil? Many find that in drier times of year / climates, their skin needs something more than just Emu Oil. Especially since you're up to twice a day applications of Emu Oil, it may be time to try a more intensive moisturizer. Or, if you're noticing extreme dry skin, perhaps something has shifted internally.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

posted Hide Post
Thank you.

I have not tried the CELES oil, but I will check it out now.