Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is Iron Oxide bad for the skin? Login/Join

Picture of Rossana
posted
I don't wear make up other than, from time to time, lip gloss. All non-clear lip gloss and lipsticks are colored with various types of Iron Oxides and it is not very clear to me if Iron Oxide is intrinsically bad for the skin?

I remember reading some months ago that Skin Biology was thinking about releasing a colored lip balm. I can't wait for it, but in the meantime I always wonder if all the cosmetic colored lip products are toxic. I always apply skin biology lip balm underneath, to limit absorption, but I still worry.

Thanks!!

Life is too short to remove USB safely!

Posts: 474 | Location: Eden Prairie (MN) | Registered: 07 February 2010Report This Post
Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear Rossana:

Great question! We will have Dr. Pickart or biologist Dr. Anna Margolina post back their thoughts on iron oxides.

We were thinking about releasing a color tinted version of what has become one of our best-selling products, Dr. Pickart's Lip Replenisher, but are looking for a natural tint that does not employ any metallic salts or other chemicals frequently used in color cosmetics.

We may have some options on this ready within the following months (if there is enough client interest in this project).

But if you love lipstick be sure to layer our lip balm under the lipstick or gloss of your choice. It will last longer and provide longer-lasting moisture.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
Picture of Rossana
posted Hide Post
Thank you! If you were to design a tinted lip product that is safe it would be a major best seller, for sure!! Smiler

Posts: 474 | Location: Eden Prairie (MN) | Registered: 07 February 2010Report This Post
Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
YES! We here on staff who enjoy the use of lipsticks and color would like to see that as well.

Are there any specific colors that would interest you?

p.s. From Dr. Margolina: "By itself iron oxide is not harmful. It is usually used as a pigment. There are some reports about possible toxicity of iron oxide in nanoparticles though."

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
Picture of Rossana
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much for asking Dr Margolina!! Really appreciate that!

Personally I like colors that are natural, so sort of pale plum, not too pink and not too red, something subtle Smiler

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear Rossana:

That sounds lovely! A nice pale plum (dark blush?) color might work great on ALL skin shades quite nicely!

Thanks for the suggestion Bravo!

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology