Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Electric shaver irritation Login/Join

posted
I get redness, irritation, and shaver bumps (especially bad on my neck) when using my electric shaver. What products would you recommend for this problem and how would you layer the products? For example, could you layer an exfoliator (such as Exfol serum or Lacsal serum) and a soothing product, (such as Emu oil for hair or Bioheal) and in what order?

Posts: 51 | Location: western Canada | Registered: 11 October 2011Report This Post
Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear jet302:

Great question! Actually we have an entire page dedicated to the answer at: After Shaving/Hair Removal: How to Reduce Irritation

1. Use a mild copper peptide product on the area daily (such as Regular CP Serum).

2. Exfoliating every time you cleanse the area works is important. Use either Exfol Serum or LacSal Serum (both contain beta hydroxy acid: salicylic acid) which is your best defense against ingrown hairs and razor bumps. Gentle cleansing and keeping the skin smooth and supple works well to keep the hair follicles moisturized and growing in the right direction.

3. Be sure you are shaving properly: First, wash the area before shaving. This is helpful in exfoliating and lifting the hair away from the follicle while also serving to soften the hair and prepare it for the shave. Next, shave in the direction of the hair growth (perhaps even every other day). Shave in the same direction each time. Finally, afterward a damp warm towel can be applied for a few minutes to further soothe and soften. Finish with an extremely light application of Emu Oil-S to calm irritated areas.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post