Skin Biology    healthyskin.infopop.cc    SKIN BIOLOGY OFFICIAL CHAT FORUM | Free Skin Consultation 1-800-405-1912  Hop To Forum Categories  Products  Hop To Forums  Hair    Can I use Folligen if I colour my hair?

Moderators: Rosy

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Can I use Folligen if I colour my hair? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Hi everyone, Can anyone tell me if they have experience with using the cp hair products on coloured hair and whether or not some colours are a no-go and some are ok? I have dark ash blond hair and regularly get my hair coloured and have blond foils put through it as well. I would love to try out the folligen products,especially the ones with copper, but am scared that it will effect the hair colours that I try to put in. I have heard that it may effect the colour development, is this correct?
Regards, Rose
Picture of celiavalerie
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Rose-
Depends. Not everyone gets the blue tint from the copper peptide-based folligen line. My hair is bleach blonde and I sometimes get the blue tint. However it usually fades. If it doesn't grab a lemon wedge, squeeze it on, and then rinse. The acid will take out the green/blue. Or just skip the middle man and use folligen for blondes. When I'm in the stronger end of my regime, I use FFB in the morning and folligen+hair signals at night (with a rinse out since they're not too sure how the tin/copper might react over time when combined). That way the blue washes out in the morning if there is any. But since you are a dark ash blonde and folligen really is meant to be rubbed into the scalp and not cover the hair, once you get used to applying it you may have no issue.

SB recommends that you "rest" (cease use) of all folligen products for a few days/week before any color treatments. My last touch-up I had FFB in my hair and for me, I actually felt that it protected my scalp from the 20v (I won't go higher) bleach. I think it helps to keep my color. I don't get brassy as quickly and I have less of a need for the less damaging than a session but still not great for your hair touch-up color depositing products my line of work forces me into at times.

A lot of people do have experiences where they feel their color changes. The safe best is resting folligen before a treatment. Other than that, the blue tint isn't permanent and shouldn't be overwhelming.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear rdeo:

Copper-peptide hair products do have a tendency to like to attach itself to the hair shaft, especially on lighter color treated hair (which is more porous due to the chemical process).

Some will opt to only use Folligen for Blondes and others love using the copper-peptide products (such as Folligen Spray).

If you do decide to use the copper-peptide/green products, make sure that you:

1. Use the product lightly, every other day. The product can also be diluted with water which may cut down on any tinting.

2. Try to apply the product so that it only gets on the scalp. Using a dropper or being very careful and light with each application will make this easier.

3. For best results: Discontinue use 1-2 weeks before going in for your color treatment. This way the color can be applied on clean hair for best color results.

4. If you notice any tinting, simply rinse the hair with lemon juice diluted in water (about 1 part lemon juice to 3 parts water). Whether the hair was rinsed pre-shampoo or after shampoo with the lemon water, clients report that all traces of green tint are easily removed by using this method.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Thank you to everyone for the replies. Does anyone have any experience with using the folligen if they dye their hair with darker colours (e.g. dark brown)? Is it mainly the lighter colours that are effected?
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear rdeo:

We're hoping others will chime in with their experiences, but we can tell you our findings from working with many clients over the years.

Mainly it is color treated blonde (lighter) hair that may have issues with the green Folligen.

Darker colors (some reds, browns, blacks) may not show as much of a difference since if a tinting occurs it might not be as apparent because of the darker color.

Remember though, ANY permanent chemical color treatment will open the cuticle of the hair to allow the color pigments to penetrate deep into the hair shaft.

So whether you are going lighter (or darker) it may be better to discontinue use of the product for a short time and go in to your color treatment with clean (healthy) hair for best color results.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Picture of celiavalerie
SB/rdeo:

My mother has really nice color (my family doesn't gray very much, just in places where the hair is naturally lighter). After seeing the results on my eyebrows, she immediately wanted to try out some of the SB products. Her hair is light brown with a lot of natural blonde (the now-gray areas) and a fair amount of red. When she covers the grays, she goes medium reddish brown. There has yet to be a reaction with the folligen and her darker shades of color.
I used the Folligen shampoo and conditioner today and didn't notice any green tinges, so I'm going to have a crack at using the Hair Signals solution diluted down with water tomorrow, and just start out slowly. I'll keep you all posted on how it goes. Thank you very much for the replies and advice - much appreciated!
One last thing I did notice though - my eyebrows appear so much thicker! It didn't click until I was reading through the forums that it was the copper peptides I was using on my face that must have done it. An unexpected but rather positive side effect Smiler

Picture of celiavalerie
Nice! Full eyebrows are the absolute key to beauty. Let me know what happens with the dilution. I have yet to dilute hair signals as it's already somewhat tough to apply but it does tint my hair greenish post-minox (even waiting 15 minutes...but platinum picks up EVERYTHING).
Picture of Skin Biology
That's GREAT to hear everyone!
Picture of celiavalerie
I'm working back up from a rest caused by surprise reshoots on the job. My growth has been really nice lately and I have definitely stopped shedding so much (plus my split ends are FINALLY better....thanks bleach....). My newest regime is minox, dry time, then FFB/emu oil in the AM followed by minox and emu oil at night every other day. The other days are minox/emu oil in the AM followed by hair minox-hair signals-emu oil. I definitely found the "few molecules thick" rule to be beneficial with the emu oil.

I still get a slight tint but it's not very bad. With the FFB, I never have any sort of tinting ever. I've also had to wear a red wig on set and though it is lace-front, human hair, and cross-ventilated my hair has still been through a lot lately. But the color, texture, and thickness all look significantly better. Luckily they're letting me break frequently to take off the wig but the first day I had nothing in my hair except my leave-in (no names but paraben-free, very nice natural product without a lot of harsh extracts). My scalp was slightly irritated so I wore my FFB under the wig on the next day. No irritation whatsoever anymore.

A friend of mine wanted to try the CP folligen cream on her naturally light blonde brows. She did so on the day of a photo shoot and only had the blue tint for about 15 minutes. She used it on her hairline and bam....green tint all night :P

I think it just goes to show that everyone has a different experience as far as color-change goes. It doesn't impact the actual color of my hair but it does temporarily change it. I'm still convinced that if there's even a slight concern go FFB+emu oil. I also like the smell of FFB better (even though regular folligen is absolutely inoffensive in odor).
I'll have to admit that my hair has a bit of a greenish tinge (still waiting for my FFB to arrive) after using the Folligen with copper for a while now. I'm a bit sad, but almost tempted to keep using it, because the shampoo is REALLY nice. Still have to try out using diluted hair signals, but the trick will be convincing my husband to share!

Picture of celiavalerie
I'm sure once the FFB arrives you'll be tint-free. I actually notice my color gains a bit of radiance when I use the FFB. Hair signals will definitely give you the green, but thankfully night time use makes that a non-issue.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
The hair products are strong and concentrated. So always start them lightly or dilute them.