Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Patch of thin hair on calve Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
My legs have always been pretty hairy, but about two years ago, I had a sudden patch of hair on my right calve go almost bald. There is still hair in the patch, but it's very sparse. I wouldn't mind it so much but the hairiness of the rest of the calve makes the patch look really goofy.

Over the last two years, I've had periods where the patch completely filled in again, but I'm not sure why or what helped it. When you look closely at the spot, you can see red dots, that look like keratosis pilaris a bit.

I would love to know if there's a good regimine I could try to address this. Would CPs help?

Thanks!
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Treat the area like a light scar. Then alternate CPs and hydroxy acids to exfoliate the skin cells. New skin will grow in the the sides.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
Would Folligen spray be a good option for the CP or should I use Super CP?

Also, for the hydroxy, could I use 2% salicylic pads? Or should I use LacSal?
LOL your as bad as me. I had almost the exact same thing happen. I just ended up shaving the other calf for the Summer, so they looked equal.

The hair finally grew back.

This may sound like a strange recommendation. But doing Calf raises might help. I just stand by the kitchen sink and lightly touch that to give me balance while doing the exercises.

This will help circulation. I don't know if that is the problem but it is worth a try. If you've ever seen anyone with Peripheral Vascular Disease they almost always have totally hairless legs with slick shiney skin.

I'm not suggesting in anyway that you have PVD or anything like that but I believe good blood flow is vital for health hair and skin.

Loss of hair on the legs I'm fairly sure wouldn't be DHT or Alopecia related like the head so you could probably use any of the CP products you suggested.

BW MaxxC
Thanks for the tip Maxx (as always).

How long did it take for the hair to grow back for you? Once you started doing the calf raises, did that keep the hair on your leg maintained?

I'd love to not have to do the no-hair/regrowth dance every year if there was some way possible Smiler
Honestly I don't remember a time line. I use resistance training regularly but really didn't exercise the calves, since they already looked good.

One day it just occured to me there might be some circulation issues in the lower extremity. They are the furthest from the heart. Therefore if there is any type of circulation issue they are the first to show.

Try the CP's and do the calf raises two or three times per week and see what happens.

I had the exact same reaction. If they both had no hair that would be fine but not one hairy and one hairless Smiler

Later Maxx