Find
Notify
Tools
Sunscreen questions Login/Join

posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hi Belle,

quote:
Originally posted by Belle:
Thank you so much for your post! It helps a lot to hear about other's experiences. I'm 40 and I REALLY hope I'm not going through very early menopause. My mother didn't go through it till her mid 50s and hardly noticed (she's phenomenal) - is timing hereditary?

Jana, did you get the hairloss once you were on the medication or before you started taking it?

Yes, as I understand it, heredity is a factor in the timing of menopause onset - my mom was early and so was I. Bodes well for you that your mom didn't go into menopause until her mid fifties!

I had absolutely no hairloss until after I'd started taking the medication (other than normal shedding & rejuvenation, lol). As I said, my hair recovered after I stopped taking the medication.

Hope I didn't alarm you with my post - I wanted only to give my experience, in case it might apply to you. I'm glad that it didn't apply!

Good luck with your studies!
Jana Smiler
Thanks Deb. I think I just might order it. I'd like to order their sunscreen as well but think I'll wait until I use up my AB. Look forward to hearing the results of the test on it.

KathyC
KathyC,

KP Duty contains Sodium Hyaluronate. Sodium Hyaluronate and Hyaluronic Acid are on the CIR's 2005 ingredient review priorities list.
quote:
Originally posted by JW:
KathyC,

KP Duty contains Sodium Hyaluronate. Sodium Hyaluronate and Hyaluronic Acid are on the CIR's 2005 ingredient review priorities list.

Sorry for my ignorance, but what is the CIR's 2005 ingredient review priorities list? Should I be concerned about this product (now that I've already ordered it) lol Roll Eyes

KathyC
Hi KathyC!

I'm so excited about this product - thanks so much for the info! I've got Keratosis Pilaris so I'm thinking of giving it a go! BTW, I can't believe you just purchased a thoroughbred mare and named her 'Belle'!!

JW: I looked on CIR's web site and I can't find where Sodium Hyaluronate and Hyaluronic Acid are listed. Also, excuse my ignorance but I would have thought if something is listed as 'under review' then they are in the process of checking but haven't yet confirmed any findings. So, couldn't that mean that the product comes out with flying colors and 'passes'?? Sorry for the rambling but I'm a little confused on exactly how the CIR work.

Belle
Hi again KathyC,

Just found it! This might help define what JW was referring to:

But I'm still confused as to what it ACTUALLY means - under review - so it might turn out 'safe' or 'not safe' but has not yet been decided?

Belle

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Me again KathyC,

Just thought I'd let you know - if you have Keratosis Pilaris (not completely sure from your post but thought you might, as the cream you linked to is for KP) - Kathleen and I were having a discussion about this (she has it too!)Here's the linkL

https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7270023352/m/2640080613

Kathleen uses Serious Skin Action Gel by GlyMedPlus and RAVES about it. I haven't tried it but thought I would pass on the info to you.

I can't seem to find the ingredients for the product... Confused

Belle
Thanks, Belle! I don't know if I have this keratosis thing or not. My skin seems to be getting dryer and dryer, and I now have developed is a rash on my upper arms. When I read about this KP Duty product it said it is particularly likely to affect anyone prone to redness. That's me! So I thought I'd give it a shot!

KathyC

I think the cheapest would be at www.dermstore.com

Kathleen

quote:
Originally posted by KathyC:
quote:
Originally posted by Kathleen:
Peter Thomas Roth does make some pretty nice chemical-free sunscreens, too, that are quite light. They would spread better I think but do not have the same high SPF and maybe they are TOO light for you. Wink

Kathleen, how do I find this Peter Thomas Roth sunscreen? I would like to check it out as well. Thanks!

KathyC
Belle,

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but I have doubts about the effectiveness of this product. It appears to be aimed more at moisturizing, which I guess is an issue for some with keratosis pilarsis. Often, they buffer the acids in these keratosis products rendering them useless to exfoliate the bumps. I tried AmLactic and got greasy thighs, but still had keratosis pilarsis! Big Grin The only thing that has ever worked for me is heavy duty acids and to keep on using them. Glytone makes a body lotion with 20% AHA, low PH, that works well, but is so thick you can barely spread it!

Well, at least they accept returns at dermadoctor.com

HTH,
Kathleen
quote:
Hi KathyC!

I'm so excited about this product - thanks so much for the info! I've got Keratosis Pilaris so I'm thinking of giving it a go! BTW, I can't believe you just purchased a thoroughbred mare and named her 'Belle'!!

JW: I looked on CIR's web site and I can't find where Sodium Hyaluronate and Hyaluronic Acid are listed. Also, excuse my ignorance but I would have thought if something is listed as 'under review' then they are in the process of checking but haven't yet confirmed any findings. So, couldn't that mean that the product comes out with flying colors and 'passes'?? Sorry for the rambling but I'm a little confused on exactly how the CIR work.

Belle
Hello KathyC and Belle,

I love the name Belle, too.

I don't know the history or background of Sodium Hyaluronate and why it is listed #2 on the high priority ingredient list. I was looking up Hydroquinone and happen to see it, so I thought I pass it on.

Reading over how CIR works, I think the review process, which involves literature searches, report writing, and possible public discussion, will take a while.

Sorry, I can't tell you if it's safe or not to use Sodium Hyaluronate without doing some digging.
Hi Belle,

Like I said, this product is not exceptionally "clean." There aren't detergents in it but some of the ingredients might be irritating to some skin. On my body, it doesn't bother me at all. It also contains a high % of SD Alcohol, although I don't find it drying on my legs, probably b/c of the aloe vera gel and butylene glycol. It also has the patented Cosmoderm, which is stronium and found to greatly reduce irritation from peels and such. I can post the exact list from my bottle if you like...just going to bed right now, though!

Kathleen
quote:
Me again KathyC,

Just thought I'd let you know - if you have Keratosis Pilaris (not completely sure from your post but thought you might, as the cream you linked to is for KP) - Kathleen and I were having a discussion about this (she has it too!)Here's the linkL

https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...0023352/m/2640080613

Kathleen uses Serious Skin Action Gel by GlyMedPlus and RAVES about it. I haven't tried it but thought I would pass on the info to you.

I can't seem to find the ingredients for the product... Confused

Belle

I thought that was interesting because often redness results from food intolerances...just like asthma and "allergies." Often, people cannot digest certain proteins (usually cow dairy) or gluten. These can cause allergy symptoms, asthma symptoms and exzema! What happens is that our body releases histamines and such when it senses foreign protein in the body that it doesn't like (like pollen, say). Well, if you can't digest certain things, your body puts out a similar attack to try to get rid of these things.

Hope that made sense!

quote:
Thanks, Belle! I don't know if I have this keratosis thing or not. My skin seems to be getting dryer and dryer, and I now have developed is a rash on my upper arms. When I read about this KP Duty product it said it is particularly likely to affect anyone prone to redness, asthma or hayfever. That's me! So I thought I'd give it a shot!

KathyC

How does a person find out what foods are intolerant for them specifically? Allergy testing through a Naturopath? I had that done once and they told me I couldn't eat cheddar cheese or grapes. Now.... for a wine drinker I have to tell you this was NOT good news! Frowner

KathyC
Thanks Deb. Good advice. I didn't put a lot of stock into what the naturopath told me years ago. The main reason I "pooh-poohed" the findings that I am allergic to yellow cheese and grapes is because they tested me for nuts and it showed NO problems even with walnuts. I am deathly allergic to walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, and many other nuts. I can only eat peanuts and almonds.

I might get that blood test just out of curiously. Thanks again.

KathyC
Belle,

Here are the ingredients. Like I said, there are some things that are considered irritants by most standards and this is actually marketed as a gel, but my body skin handles it just fine. I need the "tough" stuff for my body!

It's also not by any means the cleanest product, having a lot of botanicals and preservatives, but it seems to be fairly free of detergents and extensive emulsifiers.

Anyway, it works!

Purified Water
SD Alcohol 40
Glycolic Acid
Lactic Acid
Strontium Nitrate (Cosmodern 7, Patented)
Sodium Hydroxide
PPG-2 Isoceteth-20 Acetate
Hydroxyethylcellulose
Imidazolidnyl Urea
Camphor
Eucalyptus Blobulus Oil
Ylang Ylang Oil
Tea Trea Oil
Arnica
Montana Extract
Wich Hazel
Aloe Barbadenis Gel
Benzalkonium Chloride
Tetrasodium EDTA
Squalane
Yeast Betaglucan
Sodium Hyaluronate
Salicylic Acid
Methylparaben, Propylparaben

Those are great suggestions by Deb. I did it the hard way, I guess. SmilerI was never tested for anything, I just sort of figured it out by selective avoidance. Basically, you eliminate certain foods for a period of time, then reintroduce them and see what happens. I found out that dairy makes me all congested! (Of course, the allergist didn't believe me on that one, but what do I care since I take NO allergy medicine anymore! Big Grin) I also found that foods like sphaghetti did the same thing and soy was the worst! My so-called allergies were the worst when we were drinking soymilk.

BTW, I've had a bad experience with a naturopath as well. She didn't hurt me, but she didn't help me, either. Basically, she was useless, told me I was "in a state of rebuilding" Confused Roll Eyes because I had recently changed my diet for the better and told me to eat the macrobiotic way. (Turns out my adrenals and thyroid weren't working.) She didn't order a SINGLE blood test on me even though I was complaining of extreme fatigue, dizziness and a bunch of other stuff. Unbelieveable.

She wanted me on that macrobiotic diet, but I know now that is all bunk!

Kathleen

quote:
Thanks Deb. Good advice. I didn't put a lot of stock into what the naturopath told me years ago. The main reason I "pooh-poohed" the findings that I am allergic to yellow cheese and grapes is because they tested me for nuts and it showed NO problems even with walnuts. I am deathly allergic to walnuts, hazelnuts, cashews, and many other nuts. I can only eat peanuts and almonds.

I might get that blood test just out of curiously. Thanks again.

KathyC
Hi Ducky... I know what you mean. I am feeling the same frustration. I also spend a lot of time outdoors, especially in the spring/summer months when the sun is really "out there". I'm an endurance horse rider and train in the mountains and can be outside for several hours every day. In the summer I ride in shorts and a sports type bra so really get the sun. When I'm competing I can be out there for 12 hours in 90+ degree heat. I am thinking that perhaps the non-chemical ones with the lower SPF are ok for being outside for short periods of time, but we might have to use the higher SPF chemical ones for times when we expect more exposure. Right now I'm using the Anna Bellina Parasol non-chemical, non-micronized product(implied SPF 15-22) daily on my face which I'm unsure about. It has a beautiful consistency when applied, but I'm not sure what I'm really getting. I'm looking at the Cotz SPF 58 as a possibility or the Peter Roth SPF 30 that Kathleen recommended in a previous thread. I'm also interested in the Anthelios which is being discussed here as well.

KathyC
Hey KathyC... I'm using that one from Anna Bella too and agree that it goes on nice, doesn't make my face an oil slick like some. That one is fine for the days I don't spend much time outdoors, but like you, there are days when I need more than any sunscreen can even give. I need to wear a tarp LOL. Those days of 12 hours and 90+ heat I still burn some even though I re-apply really high spf. I think I burn just from the heat. I have started wearing a hat even though I don't like them.

I'm going to try the Cotz 58. I looked into Anthelios on eBay but it was a lot more expensive so I'll start with Cotz and see how I like that one.

Hey enduance horse riding in the mts sounds like a BLAST! I used to be a river guide in my younger days, talk about sun and hot. What a hopeless skin situation. Wouldn't have missed it for anything tho Wink
Hello,

In another thread I posted that I wrote to Fallene (make COTZ)regarding the issues raised about physical sunscreen not providing enough UVA protection. They wanted my sources, which I gave them. I will let you know what I hear back!

I also posted elsewear that I got my Athelios today and it is probably the best textured suncreen (aside from AB) I've ever used and the most protective as well. Of course, I understand those that want to avoid the chemcials. At least Mexoryl is not estrogenic.

Kathleen