Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What is the BEST suncreen Login/Join

<aromalady>
posted   Report This Post  
I have problem skin and a new grandson age 1 1/2 years old with sensitive skin, too.

I've read a lot about sunscreens and found that Neo Heliopan, organic ester, works great at stopping any sun tanning or damage. I use it full strength. I was told that a 5% solution gave 15 SBF.

Is this a good alternative and is it safe for a toddler?
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
If you post the ingredients in it, we can give an opinion.
<aromalady>
The ingredient is Neo Heliopan, concentrate. That's all.

Is it safe? It is effective!!!
<aromalady>
Please respond. I would like to know if this is a good solution to protect us from the sun.

quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Pickart:
If you post the ingredients in it, we can give an opinion.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
quote:
Neo Heliopan

It is Octocrylene. I would not use it. It is a sunscreen oil and will penetrate the skin and release free radicals in the skin.

Octocrylene
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Octocrylene

IUPAC name 2-ethylhexyl 2-cyano-3,3-
diphenyl-2-propenoate
Identifiers
CAS number [6197-30-4]
SMILES O=C(OCC(CC)CCCC)\C(C#N)=C
(C2=CC=CC=C2)/C1=CC=CC=C1
Properties
Molecular formula C24H27NO2
Molar mass 361.48 g/mol
Density 1.05 g/cm3
Melting point
14 °C

Boiling point
218 °C at 1.5 mmHg

Except where noted otherwise, data are given for
materials in their standard state
(at 25 °C, 100 kPa)
Infobox disclaimer and references
Octocrylene is an organic compound used as an ingredient in sunscreens and cosmetics. It is an ester formed by the condensation of a diphenylcyanoacrylate with 2-ethylhexanol. It is a viscous, oily liquid that is clear and colorless.
The extended conjugation of the acrylate portion of the molecule absorbs ultraviolet light, protecting the skin from direct DNA damage. The ethylhexanol portion is a fatty alcohol, adding emollient and oil-like (water resistant) properties.

This organic compound can penetrate into the skin where it acts as a photosensitizer. This results in an increased production of free radicals under illumination.[1] Free radicals are known to induce indirect DNA damage and an increased concentration of free radicals might have contributed to the increased incidence of malignant melanoma in sunscreen-users compared to non-users (see Epidemiologie of malignant melanoma
Hi... My pedi recommended Austrailian Blue Lizard... and I've also been looking at Kenysis... They both protect from UVA and UVB... and both rate no higher than a 1 on the cosmetic database... NOT CHEAP! I'm refering to the ones for sensitve skin and children....

good luck...

FitMama
Sorry that's kinesys... blue lizard is mfg'd by crown laboratories... you'll find the product at their website... just google it...

FitMama
I think physical blocks are best, anything with titanium or zinc, other sunscreens that do not block but supposedly absorb and destroy the harmful uv rays have never worked for me. Yes, they generally leave a whitish caste but the other sunscreens I've tried simply do not work.
Does anyone have a list of good Physical sunscreens? I can only seem to find a couple listed on this website.

I like my current one (Dermalogica Ultrasensitive Faceblock 25+) but I am not sure how it interacts with my CP's. Here are the ingredients:

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide Inactive Ingredients: Melissa Officinalis, Octyododecyl, Neopentanoate, Isononyl Isononanoate, Butylene Glycol, Glyceryl Stearate, PEG-100 Stearate, Neopentyl Glycol, Diethyhexanoate, Neopentyl Glycol Diisostearate, DEA-Cetyl Phosphate, Stearic Acid, Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Retinyl Palmitate, Tocopherol, Ectracts Of: Camellia Oleifera Leaf, Echinacea Purpurea, Vitis Vinifera Seed, Citrus Medica Limonum Peel, Centella Asiatica; Panthenol, Sodium PCA, Sodium Lactate, Sorbitol, Proline Lecithin, Essential Oils Of: Citrus Grandis Peel, Citrus Aurantium Dulcis, Aniba Rosaeodora Wood, Geranium Maculatum, Lavender,Thyme; Disodium EDTA, Xanthan Gum, Diazolidinyl Urea, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Iron Oxides, Magnesium Silicate, Aluminum Hydroxide

I am still looking for a decent-priced body sunscreen. Any ideas?