Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
skin bios section more healthy suntanning Login/Join

posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Our body's biological activities (metabolic processes, eating, digesting, physical exertions/exercises, and etc.) naturally generate free radicals (unpaired electrons), and they are the partial reasons behind aging. Therefore, eating nutritionally, vitamin and anti-oxidant suspplementations, and living healthy may only keep pace with the damages done by naturally occurring free radicals.

Besides the environmental and chemical assults, and climate changes, don't forget that our skins are more vulnerable to UV irradiation because we are using more hydroxy acids on a daily basis, too.
The only thing I did think of regarding sunlight and lower cancer involves some research I read about vitamin D. Apparently Vitamin D has a larger role in health than previously thought and it's suspected that huge sunscreen users don't get enough of it. Somehow, that was supposed to be linked to cancers. Have you heard of this??

Hi Kathleen, As far as Vitamin D is concerned, I believe we can get enough of that without exposing our faces (exposing a small patch on the back of a leg, for example). We can also take vitamin D supplements if we fear we are not getting enough.

I apologize that I cannot recall offhand, but do you have a history of skin cancer in your family that concerns you about high sun protection?

I also read recently some disturbing studies about titanium producing huge amounts of free radicals, more than other filters. I was very shocked as this goes against what Dr. Pickart was saying. Have you heard about this?

I'd like to hear more about that as well!

Personally, I wear sunscreen on my face only, and on rare occasions I will go without it on my face (not often) as I like my body to have somewhat of a tan and don't want my face to look white and pasty, but then only moderate exposure to get a hint of colour. Also, because I use retinoic acid my face is photosensitive thus the need for sunscreen.

Overall, I think we have to look at moderation to sun exposure as the key (unless of course there is a medical reason why we must stay away from the sun), but that is just my opinion and there is absolutely no scientific data to back up my opinion! I know Mag from YTF is HUGELY pro-sunscreen (using what she believes to be the right actives such as those found in Vichy and Anthelios). Others, such as Dr. Pickart, appear to be more concerned about the chemicals in the sunscreens rather the the sun exposure itself.

It is all so Confused !!

Kathy Smiler
Picture of Skin Biology
[QUOTE]Originally posted by KathyC:

Overall, I think we have to look at moderation to sun exposure as the key QUOTE]

Dear KathyC:

We agree so much with that statement - Everything in moderation. Smiler

-Skin Bio Team
Picture of Lilu
Kathleen, Thanks so much for reply and info on cheap places for Vichy, and so sorry for just not saying so! I've been totally swamped for the last month and have fallen quite behind on my forum reading. I actually ordered some Vichy from a company called VichyCare. The prices I think are a fair bit more costly than the prices of physea, but the shipping was free without requiring a large minimum order. The shipping was quite fast too, even though it came all the way from Israel.

As far as the product goes, I am quite happy with it so far. Smiler I'm using the Capital Soleil Block Cream for "Face and Particularly Exposed Areas" -- it's got quite a nice and light texture and absorbs quickly. Now I know I like it, I'm going to probably go for the larger order, so I may try physea.

BTW, I read salon from time to time, when I can afford a few minutes of diversion from work. Wink It is a totally cool online mag, so I'd probably been "geeked" too if I had a letter published! Smiler