Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
New Titanium sunscreen....Dr Pickart Login/Join

Picture of Di
posted   Report This Post  
This is a new sunscreen that is Titanium only could you take a look at the ingredients and tell me what you think.

Thank you
Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear Di:

As we await Dr. Pickart's comment's we can tell you that although this product has Titanium Dioxide 11%, it says that it is a "Ultra-Light Sunscreen Fluid" or "a sheer sunscreen". It is most likely micronized.

When looking for a good sunscreen it should contain un-micronized mineral UV reflectors, which will make it somewhat "pasty". Be careful of clear sunscreens. There really is not a way to get around the opaque color that a healthier sunscreen will give without micronizing the ingredient (which is want you do not want).

Use Non-Encapsulated Reflective Physical Sunscreens

Physical reflective sunblockers contain inert minerals such as titanium dioxide, zinc oxide, red petrolatum, or talc and work by reflecting the ultraviolet (UVA and UVB) rays away from the skin. They come in two forms - pure sunblocker and various micronized or encapsulated versions...

Pure sunblockers tend to give a pasty look to the skin. This is the reason for the popularity of micronized sunblockers which give a better cosmetic appearance on the skin.

Avoid Micronized or Siliconized Physical Sunscreens.

Prof. Nicholas Lowe (Dermatology, UCLA) has reported that micronized or encapsulated physical sunblockers such as titanium dioxide penetrate into the skin while pure titanium dioxide remains on the skin's surface - where you really want it to stay.

Micronized minerals are usually used as 'micronized' particles in the size range of 20-50 microns.

But these particles are small in comparison with the wavelength of the ultraviolet and visible light and are virtually invisible and do not effectively scatter of reflect light.

Pure, non-micronized, and often pasty, minerals are better reflectors of ultraviolet light."

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Picture of Di
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
After I asked the question, I got to thinking that it was probably micronized. I guess I shoud have know better. Smiler

Thank you.