Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Sunscreen Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Dear Dr. Pickart,

I am looking for a safe and -cheap - sun screen and I found this one in the market which seems not bad. Can you please give me your opinion

Aqua/Water/Eau, Ethylhexyl Methoxycinnamate, Diethylamino Hydroxybenzoyl Hexyl Benzoate, Ethylhexyl Salicylate, Octocrylene, Distarch Phosphate, Potassium Cetyl Phosphate, Caprylic/Capric Triglyceride, Microcrystalline Cellulose, Titanium Dioxide, Caprylyl Glycol, Glycerin, Alcohol Denat., Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Alumina, Aluminum Stearate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Bis-Ethylhexyloxyphenol Methoxyphenyl Triazine, Cellulose Gum, Chitosan Succinamide, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Crambe Abyssinica Seed Oil, Ethylhexyl Cocoate, Galactoarabinan, Glyceryl Caprylate, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Hydroxyethyl Acrylate/Sodium Acryloyldimethyl Taurate Copolymer, Lecithin, Meadowfoam Estolide, Olea Europaea (Olive) Oil Unsaponifiables, Orbignya Oleifera Seed Oil, Parfum (Fragrance), Phenoxyethanol, Phenylpropanol, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Sesamum Indicum (Sesame) Seed Oil, Silica, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Sodium Acetate, Sodium Citrate, Sodium Gluceptate, Sodium Stearoyl Glutamate, Sodium Succinate, Tocopherol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Xanthan Gum, Yogurt, Yogurt Powder.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
From Wikipedia

One study performed in 2000 raised safety concerns about octyl methoxycinnamate by demonstrating toxicity to mouse cells at concentrations lower than typical levels in sunscreens. However, a more recent study concluded that octyl methoxycinnamate and other sun screening agents do not penetrate the outer skin in sufficient concentration to cause any significant toxicity to the underlying human keratinocytes. Estrogenic effects were noted in laboratory animals at concentrations close to those experienced by sunscreen users and were also shown in test tube experiments. A study published in 2011 explored the effects of pre- and post-natal exposure to high doses of octyl methoxycinnamate in rats and showed, for example, that the testes weight and testosterone levels were significantly reduced in male rats.

So I would not use it.

Try to find a titanium dioxide or zinc oxide sunscreen. These are the safest.

For a list of our recommended sunscreens,send an email to cassia@skinbiology.com and she can find the list.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idelle Musiek,
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Thanks a lot Dr. Pickart. I will email Cassia.