Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Clarins UV Plus Protective Day Screen Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
It's difficult to find a good physical sunscreen with only Titanium Dioxide as the only Active Ingredient. I was watching one of the Home Shopping stations and this sunscreen came up the ingredients look really good. What do you think?

Clarins UV Plus Protective Day Screen w SPF 40
Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide
Others: Water - Cyclopentasiloxane - Cyclomethicone - Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate - Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone - Alcohol Denat. - Aluminum Hydroxide - Stearic Acid - Peg-12 Dimethicone - Phenoxyethanol - Tocopheryl Acetate - Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract - Fragrance - Disodium EDTA - Methylparaben - Propylene Glycol - Butylparaben - Ethylparaben - Propylparaben - Isobutylparaben.

Thanks,J
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear Luce:

We'll review this with Dr. Pickart.

Thank you for posting,
-Skin Bio Team
Picture of Dr. Pickart
quote:
Originally posted by Luce:
It's difficult to find a good physical sunscreen with only Titanium Dioxide as the only Active Ingredient. I was watching one of the Home Shopping stations and this sunscreen came up the ingredients look really good. What do you think?

Clarins UV Plus Protective Day Screen w SPF 40
Active Ingredient: Titanium Dioxide
Others: Water - Cyclopentasiloxane - Cyclomethicone - Aluminum Starch Octenylsuccinate - Polyglyceryl-3 Polydimethylsiloxyethyl Dimethicone - Alcohol Denat. - Aluminum Hydroxide - Stearic Acid - Peg-12 Dimethicone - Phenoxyethanol - Tocopheryl Acetate - Camellia Sinensis Leaf Extract - Fragrance - Disodium EDTA - Methylparaben - Propylene Glycol - Butylparaben - Ethylparaben - Propylparaben - Isobutylparaben.

Thanks,J

This looks pretty good!
Thanks Dr Pickart,

By the way love your products. Since I have oily skin I've been using the following serums... Super CP Serum & Super GHK Serum( around eye area)in the morning and in the evening I use the LacSal Serum and the Super GHK Cream(around eye area). This routine has helped my blemish-prone skin from breakouts and has reduced the shine on my face. I'm hoping this helps with some of the minor scars and brown spots I have from previous breakouts.

Thanks, Josie
Hi Luce,
I just purchased a Clarins UV Plus Protective Day with SPF 40. I think the brochure inside the product box mentions 'micronized ingredients'. I couldn't find the brochure now, I think my kids thrashed it. If it does contain micronized titanium dioxide, then it's not good... I've been using the product, but just need assurance that it really is a safe sunblock. Thank you...
Picture of Dr. Pickart
It depends on how micronized it is. We are working on a better list of "good sunscreens".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Idelle Musiek,
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Pickart:
It depends on how micronized it is. We are working on a better list of "good sunscreens".

The problem is the cosmetic companies lie about everything.

That would be very helpful Dr. Pickart!! I'm kind of getting frustated searching for "good sunscreens" in Hong Kong, Singapore, Indonesia, with no results.

The only thing I could find from your list of good suncreens was Clinique's super city block. I've been to almost all cosmetic counters in major department stores to check on their sun protection products, but all contain one or more of the ingredients listed in your bad chemical suncreen list. Some of the sales girls even gave me this look... probably thought i was crazy. I couldn't find anything 'safe' in the drugstores either.

I've been using clinique's super city block, but actually it also has zinc oxide (though may be at tolerable level) and also I need higher SPF. The latest products I tried was Clarins' UV Plus Day Screen with SPF 40, but then I wonder if it contained micronized titanium dioxide. I haven't tried other products on your safe sunscreens list, for they're difficult to be found in asia.

I even stop using coppertone sunblock on my daughter when she goes swimming... but i'm also afraid that long term sun exposure could even be worse than chemical sunscreen?....
Decent sunscreens are tough to find. I am using one that is imported from France and is rather expensive but I like the ingredients. It also has a tint to it which some people don't like, but I quite like. It contains both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and I feel that it gives good protection with an SPF of 50 and PPD of 20 without those nasty chemicals.

Ingredients
Aqua (Purified Water), Cyclomethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Glycerin, Hexyldecyl Stearate, Zinc Oxide, Caprylyl Dimethicone Ethoxy Glucoside, Hexyldecyl Stearate, Sodium PCA, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Alumina, Methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone, Thermus Termophilus Ferment, Cyclomethicone, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Methylparaben, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).
quote:
Originally posted by KathyC:
Decent sunscreens are tough to find. I am using one that is imported from France and is rather expensive but I like the ingredients. It also has a tint to it which some people don't like, but I quite like. It contains both zinc oxide and titanium dioxide and I feel that it gives good protection with an SPF of 50 and PPD of 20 without those nasty chemicals.

Ingredients
Aqua (Purified Water), Cyclomethicone, Titanium Dioxide, Glycerin, Hexyldecyl Stearate, Zinc Oxide, Caprylyl Dimethicone Ethoxy Glucoside, Hexyldecyl Stearate, Sodium PCA, Sodium Chloride, Tocopheryl Acetate, Polyglyceryl-4 Isostearate, Alumina, Methicone, Cetyl Dimethicone, Thermus Termophilus Ferment, Cyclomethicone, Quaternium-90 Bentonite, Dimethicone, Dimethiconol, Alcohol, Potassium Sorbate, Phenoxyethanol, Glycerin, Methylparaben, CI 77491 (Iron Oxides), CI 77492 (Iron Oxides), CI 77499 (Iron Oxides).

What's the name of the suncsreens? Can you order on line? But i thought zinc oxide is not good.. ? May be we can ask Dr. Pickart for his opinion..
I believe Dr. Pickart does not like zinc oxide. I find I cannot get a broad enough spectrum of protection in a physical blocker without it. To each their own! If you PM me I can give you the link where I purchase the one I use.
I use Neutrogena Dry-Touch Ultra Sheer SPF 70 with "helioplex". Does anyone have feedback on this sunblock.
It's probably an excellent blocker, if you don't mind all those chemicals. I used to use Neutrogena Dry-Touch and loved the way it went on, but I hated putting the chemicals on my skin after putting all the "good stuff" on beforehand. It felt like it was defeating the purpose.
Picture of Nataxa
Hi KathyC,

could please give us a name of your sunblocker? Are you using it for the face or only for the body?
Hi Nataxa,

I use it only on my face. It's $32.95 US for 50 ml.

It's called: SVR 50B Tinted All-Physical Sunscreen SPF 50/PPD 20, 50 ml. Described as follows:

For those individuals who cannot tolerate chemical sunscreens. This is the only 100% physical sunscreen that we have found that has such an excellent PPD (UVA protection) rating. It has a very elegant texture and is also great for the eye area, for those whose eyes burn from chemical sunscreens. Natural tint color suits most skin tones and often eliminates need to wear foundation makeup.

You might want to try a sample first.
Picture of Nataxa
Thank you, KathyC !

I ordered this sunscreen in a full size, the sample is too expensive when you add a delivery charge to it(I also live in Canada). The description is good, so I will try it...I am not that good at looking at the ingridients Smiler
Whould be interesting to know what Dr. Pickart thinks about the ingridients? Dr.Pickart, could you please give us your opinion about these ingridients in a sunscreen:

Ingredients:
Picture of Dr. Pickart
quote:
Originally posted by dianemarie:
I use Neutrogena Dry-Touch Ultra Sheer SPF 70 with "helioplex". Does anyone have feedback on this sunblock.

This product contains avobenzone and oxybenzone. No one should get near these ingredients. They breakdown in sunlight. It is said that they are stabilized but "stable" is a very relative term. If 0.001% breaks down and enters your body and is highly toxic to your tissues, that is enough to injure your health.
Picture of Siân
Dr. Pickart, what is your take on Anthelios sunscreen? I like it, but do not want to damage my skin.

Is there another sunscreen that is better than Anthelios (with mexoryl - SPF 50)?

Thank you very much.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
All of these sunscreen oils are basically the same. They breakdown in sunlight and toxic breakdown products enter your skin.

There is no FDA requirement to determine the breakdown products that are generated by UV light and then enter the body.
Picture of Nataxa
KathyC, the suncream that you suggested must be really good because it is constantly out of stock even in Europe. I am desperately looking for the good sun protection for my son and came across to this suncream that has very good reviews. I am not good at looking at the ingredients, so can I get your opinion on this one.

Active Ingredients: Titanium Dioxide 7.5%, Zinc Oxide 7.5%
Inactive Ingredients: Alumina, C12-15 Alkyl Benzoate, Caprylic/capric Triglyceride, Cetearyl Isononanoate, Cetyl Alcohol, Isopropyl Titanium Triisostearate/triethoxycaprylylsilane Crosspolymer, Magnesium Sulfate, Methylpropanediol, PEG-12 Dimethicone, PEG-30 Dipolyhydroxystearate, Phenyl Trimethicone, Polyethylene, Polyhydroxystearic Acid, Purified Water, Sodium Ascorbyl Phosphate, Stearyl Dimethicone, Tetrasodium EDTA, Tocopheryl Acetate, Triethoxycaprylylsilane.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
I ordered two last time so I wouldn't run out! I always want to have a back up. I just checked the site I order from which is in the USA and it says it is out of stock until August 13 which was yesterday. If you order from there, they will send it when the product comes in if it happens to out of stock when they receive your order.

The Vanicream looks ok to me, but it might leave a white cast on your face without the tint that the one I use offers. It might be great for your son though!

Kathy