New
Find
Notify
Tools
Dr. Pickart, micro fine mineral sunscreens or coated zinc Login/Join

Picture of Di
posted   Report This Post  
Dr. Pickart,
I know you don't like the idea of using sunscreen, but if you had to use one which would be a safer choice? A micro fine titanium and zinc or one that is a coated zinc like z-coat and titanium.
I feel I really need more protection since I do burn very easily.

Thank you Smiler
Di
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I think the microfine titanium and zinc would be better.

Titanium dioxide and zinc oxide will have difficulty penetrating the skin. But the coating on the minerals often make it easier for them to enter the skin.

The basis of this is that fat-like materials more easily pass through the skin barrier. Many of the coatings use silicones that have fat-like properties.
Picture of Di
Thank you so much for explaining this to me.

I've been wondering about it for a long time. The sunscreen I have been using for a couple of years was the coated zinc. Lately I've been putting the Day Cover on first, but now I'll switch sunsreens and still put the Day Cover on first. I have always put emu oil or Squalane on first so hopfully that has helped some to keep it from penetrating the skin.

Thank you again Smiler
Di
Picture of Scarlett
I am new on this forum and I use Hauschka sunscreen. I need sunscreen, and I want to make sure that I am using a good product.

- Scarlett
Scarlett I've tried various things and recently tried something that seemed to work very well. Better then SPF 50 Sunscreen (junk not Zinc or Titanium based).

I've tried this when at the golf course which is about 4 hours in the Sun.

1) applied a very light coat of Super GHK serum.

2) Applied a light coat of Squalane next and rubbed it in.

3) Finished with a Daycover which I had added Titanium Dioxide to bring it up from 1% TD to 3% TD. I've also done this with the basic 1% Daycover and it also has worked very well.

I was battling an area where I over exfoliated with a micro derm cloth. It would be red/pink when I got home using the SPF 55 but not with what I outlined above.