Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Sun Bathing Questions... Login/Join

Picture of CatFish
posted   Report This Post  
I just want to make sure I have my info right when it comes to tanning. Our skin has the ability to protect itself for the first twenty minutes in the sun--right? So does this mean that I can tan for twenty minutes (lay out in my swimsuit—face covered Wink )a day and not worry about sun damage? I have always been the type to slather myself with 50spf and hide in the shade but I know how beneficial the sun can be and I’d like to reap the benefits without doing damage.

Any thoughts, suggestions, or added info would be greatly appreciated. I think the sun is actually making an appearance this weekend and I want to be ready Big Grin

Thanks!

CatFish
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
The key ideas are a brief time in the sun over a number of days and take internal antioxidant supplements before sunbathing.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Picture of stoney
CatFish,

I spent 20 yrs. of winters in the tropics & rarely ever burned my somewhat fair skin. I drank fresh carrot juice almost daily & ate tons of papayas & mangoes & other tropical fruits.

While I'm sure I got MORE than the recommended amt of sun, I believe strongly that there is definitely something to the anti-oxidants (especially in the orangey fruits & veggies) regarding the health of your skin & the sun... Cool
Picture of Dr. Pickart
There were studies at UC Berkeley showing that increasing internal anti-oxidants did provide increased protection from UV damage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,