Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Which sunscreen? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I haven't been able to keep up with all the latest discussion on the different sunscreens and the other method of computing SPF factor. Can someone tell me which sunscreens are recommended and where can I find more info on that other type of SPF I had seen talked about here in the past? I gathered that Vichy and Anthelios(sp?) were the two favorites. Most cosmetics make my eyes water and burn so I'm very limited in what I can use on my face. Thankfully the SB products haven't caused that reaction so far. What is everyone using for sunscreen this summer? I have two large patches of melasma that I've faded with years of sunscreen and aha's but they can come right back after one good day in the sun if I'm not careful.

-Dimples
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hi Dimples,

Vichy and Anthelios both contain Mexoryl which is the key ingredient in protecting against UVA. UVA is not only bad since it causes aging, but it also supresses the immune system and mutates DNA. This is why it is important to choose a sunscreen with Mexoryl or Tinosorb. Also, Mexoryl doesn't penetrate too deep, neither does Tinosorb, and they have been shown to be safe. I'm not sure where you are from, but sunscreens in the U.S. don't list UVA protection, but those from Europe w/Mexoryl or Tinosorb do list it with the IPD/PPD factor. A PPD of about 28 is the highest protection. Anything over a PPD of 20 is excellent. I believe the Vichy is around 16+ which is still very good and Anthelios is 28 which is excellent. They are both great sunscreens but if you can find it and afford it, Anthelios from Europe is probably superior and would be my choice. I am currently using Vichy but will try Anthelios next based on what I have learned.

Kathy Smiler
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Thank you Kathy, that was exactly what I wanted
to know. I appreciate it! Smiler

-Dimples