Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Questions for Indoor Tanners Login/Join

<Paula>
posted   Report This Post  
For those who tan indoors this time of year, how are you going about it?

Are you using SB's suntanning lotion in the beds or something else?

How many minutes are you going?

How many times per week?

Do you apply the SB body lotion after tanning?

Are you taking supplements to help your skin?

How long have you been a tanner?

How long have you been using SBs products?
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hi summerwave Smiler

~I tan in a tanning bed about once a week for 20 minutes. I used to go more often in past years, but I'm trying to keep in to a minimal to prevent damage. In the summer I also do the Mystic Tan, which I love. It looks great especially over alittle base tan.

~I bought the SB Suntanning Lotion and Body Lotion a couple weeks ago. The smell turned me off so bad, that I don't put it on my body before tanning. But I do put it on my face under my makeup in the morning. It actually feels less greasy under makeup than the Daycover..to me. But most of the time when I'm in the bed I turn the face bulbs off. And I use sunless tanner on my face everynight which gives GREAT color. I used Savage Bronze. Its a mousse and I just squirt some on a makeup wedge and apply it after everything else.

~I have not been using the SB Body Lotion after tanning yet. Not quite sure if it needs to be applied immediately or can wait til after shower? And are you supposed to put it on your face or is the Super CP Serum enough to help the damage?

~I am taking supplements but not consistently like I should. I take ALA, DMAE, Vit C, CoQ10, Pycnogenol, and just ordered Copper, NSI Mega EFA, and some Nature's Way Garden Veggie caps (since I don't eat enough vegetables)

~I've been using SB product for a few years. I was using CP Serum faithfully until this past summer when Dr. Phils wife was raving about the topical Vit C she uses, so I tried that for awhile, hated how my skin started to look and switched back to Super CP serum in Dec, and my skin changed drastically. My complexion got super clear and was glowing! I'll never stray again Smiler

So what about you Summerwave Smiler whats your routine?!?

SadieSmiler
<Paula>
Hi Sadie,

I started indoor tanning 3 weeks ago. I've been going 1 or 2 x week to get a base tan, but it's very slow going since I use the Suntanning Lotion about half the time I go. I've got just a light tan that knocks off the glare Smiler I have worked up to 10 minutes. I may go for 12 this afternoon. Once I get to the desired shade (a light/med. tan) I will probably just go once per week to maintain or just go out in the sun when warmer weather comes.

Most sunless tanners itch me, but I am going to use one over my base tan too - probably Clinique Dark. I'll probably wait to do that until summer because I don't want to look too dark right now Smiler

I've been alternating with using SB Suntanning Lotion and the salon lotion when I go. I know I should just use the Suntanning Lotion, but I am going to use up this bottle of AG before I switch to Suntanning Lotion only. The salon lotions sure smell good though! Smiler

I guess the Body Lotion is supposed to be applied right after tanning. I have been waiting until after I shower later on though, and then applying it. I don't put the body lotion on my face.

I'm taking multi, Vit. E, Co Q10, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Omega 3,6,9, Vit. C, MSM, think that's all. I haven't found copper yet, guess I'll have to buy it online.

I used SB products several years ago. But I just started them seriously in Dec. I've only added hydroxies & Super Cop 2x in mid January. I saw that episode of Dr. Phil! I thought the vitamin C in her cream probably wasn't stable since it was in a clear jar. Lord knows I've used hundreds of things over the years for my skin, but I'm sticking with SB cause I believe it will work.
hey Summerwave,

I've never used a sunless tanner on my body except for the Mystic Tan spray, but its kind of expensive so I think I may try a regular sunless tanner this summer too. I've never used Clinique Dark before. Do you like it? I usually go to makeupalley.com and read all the sunless tanner reviews. The savage bronzer is the top rated with like 150 reviews. That website is Awesome by the way! It has reviews on every cosmetic you can think of!

I do need to start using the Body Lotion after tanning though. I want to try a scented one, but not sure which one to get. I don't want anything to strong.

I also need to add MSM to my supplements. I can't wait to get the Copper to see if it makes a different with my tan. Its one Dr. Pickart recommends under the supplements for tanning. I need to add a multi-vit too.

The Vitamin C that I have that Robin uses is by Las Colinas Pharmacy. It's in an all white plastic container. Its supposed to be pretty potent and has something in it to keep it from breaking down, but I dont think it did anything for me. If was also too thick and was hard to smooth around.

I started the 10% Lactic Acid gel a couple weeks ago but haven't been using it regularly cause I have to wait 15 minutes after washing my face b/c of the PH level in my Cetaphil cleanser. But I think I read somewhere that if you use witchhazel right after, then you don't have to wait..so I may get some. But I do want to try to 40% Lactic also.

Sadie Smiler
<Paula>
Sadie, I just got back from tanning! I went 12 minutes. Whew, that bed was hot because someone had used it just before me! I used SB's Suntanning (Maybe we should shorten it to ST Lotion?) all over this time. I am glad I did. I took my vitamins and antioxidants before I went, and I'm going to take another vit. C soon. (I use chewable!) As soon as I got home, I applied the Body Lotion all over. First time I've done that right after tanning. I think I'll keep doing it that way because it gives your skin a boost of antioxidants and copper after tanniing. On my face, I patted on Day Cover.

I must have looked at the wrong Vit. C from the Oprah Show. Smiler

I really haven't got my routine down where I want it yet. I tend to alternate nights using either Lactic Acid 10% or Exfol Serum instead of both on the same night. I don't know if thats good or not, I just can't wait all that time between them. I don't know if my cleanser has the right pH or not, it's Linda Sy Mild Oatmeal cleanser. But I go ahead and put on the acids, then later wash them off, then 30 min. later put on the CP's and emu. Once per week I do the 40% peel.

Where did you order your copper supplements?

I used Clinique Dark some last summer. It's one of the darkest out there, I guess. I'd say one layer over a base tan would last for days, if not a week. I use the body product all over and on my face. It doesn't break me out or anything.

Smiler
Wow, I might have to try some of the Clinque Dark then! How much does it usually cost? I'd probably get it off Ebay anyway. I pretty much get almost everything off Ebay..and sell stuff too...lol!

I got the Copper Supplement from Vitacost.com They actually came about 5 mins. ago by UPS. I think I'll take one every other day since I don't take anything w/ zinc in it currently.

Is your chewable vitamin C any good? I hate swallowing big pills so anything chewable thats good I'll take. I was taking some gummy bear vitamins awhile ago. They were called Yummi Bear whole food vitamins and they were pretty good.

I think I'll start using the Body lotion right after also. I may go tanning in alittle while.

Someone listed a huge list of cleansers with the PH levels up here the other day. It might have your Linda Sy cleanser.

Sadie
<Paula>
Sadie, I think the Clinique Dark for body lotion is around $16. I got it when they were having the gift with purchase at a dept. store. Ebay may have it too.

The chewable Vit. C is from Walmart. It has several different flavored tablets, like pina colada, lemon-lime, orange, etc. I like them. I get so sick of taking all these capsules and pills (my supplements), that these are a tasty change Smiler

I'll look for that list of cleansers.

Happy tanning Smiler
<Paula>
Sadie, I just saw your picture, you are very pretty & have a great tan! Smiler
Awww...thanks summerwave Smiler

I think I did the mystic tan the day before that picture.

I think I'll try get some of that chewable Vit. C. Its sounds good. I get sick of taking all those pills too. It amazes me when I see the list of supplements some people here take. I wish I could do that. I really have to pysche myself up to take the larger pills Frowner
<Paula>
Well, I've got enough color now from tanning to look like someone with a beige skintone Smiler It's slow going with the ST lotion, but I know that's the healthier way, nice & slow.
Hi

I wanted to check in to see your opinions on tanning beds.

I went a few times a week til October then backed off to twice a month and am starting up again to get a base. I do use a self tanner, Clarins, to get it a little darker. I've used a lot of different self tanners, and altho Clarins is a little pricey ($27) if you're doing the tanning beds you don't need it too much and a bottle or tube will last a couple months. THey have a tanner for the legs that has a nice bronzer in it if you want some color right a way, a gel for the rest of your body that gives a little moisture and over night you have a good color.

I don't have the time or patience to tan outside (other than the time I'm out running in the spring and summer when I can get some sun). Do the beds have any of the benefits of the sun, or just the tanning?

I find it interesting that now we're finding out the evil sun isn't so evil after all, it's the toxins we put in our bodies that react with different things that cause our troubles.

Linda Smiler
<Paula>
From what I understand, and maybe someone more knowledgable can correct me, the sun is the optimal way to get your sunlight, but since many of us have a "Vitamin D Winter", where we don't get enough sun from about Nov - April, the tanning bed is the next best thing. Most of the beds give off some UVB, which is needed for Vit. D.
<Paula>
Woo hoo! I've got the shade I want finally! I have only been going to the beds 1 to 3 times per week, sometimes not going at all for a week or more. I don't go over 12 minutes. But my slow and steady has finally paid off, cause yesterday, I achieved my desired shade for this time of year Smiler Now I'm just going once per week & hopefully that maintains it. I only have 5 more sessions left on my package. I may buy one more package to stretch out til summer, or I may not. Anyway, it feels and looks great to have a tan Smiler I use the SB lotion and Neutrogena's Copper Lotion, eat well and take my supplements, and my skin is soft and looks pretty.
Do you think it matters when you take the supplements? I take extra anti-oxidants but I do all my vitamins in the morning. If I tan in the evening, am I covered? Or would it be better to wait and take my supplements just before or after tanning?
<Paula>
Hi Sonja, I asked Deb about it in the Supplements section, and she recommended not taking them all at once. I take one of my multi vits in the a.m. and one at lunch. I take my 3 EFA's spread out over 3 meals. (For example) When I'm tanning, I make sure to take extra Vit. C before and after. Let me know if this answered your question. Smiler
Yes, I'll make sure to do xtra C right afterwards. Thanks!
Hello, I have some ?

First, how do you tan without burning? Do you use any kind of lotions or tan accelorators before going into the tanning bed?

Second, can tanning cause spider veins or does it help conceal them? I already have enough of them on my legs and really don't want anymore.

Third, do you wear protective eye goggles?

Fourth, because you indoor tan, do you then use a sunscreen outdoors?

Thanks for any help ladies! Cool
<Paula>
There is a website called iamtan.com that gives a lot of great info on tanning.

When I first start in the beds, I start at a low time, and very gradually work up the time. It's important not to be impatient. I use a tan accelerator/lotion either from the salon or Walmart (Ocean Potion). You always want to use a lotion.

I don't know if tanning causes spider veins. I don't have any from it.

Yes, I always wear goggles! Most salons don't have the ones with strings to hold them tightly to your face, so I bought my own goggles at Sally Beauty for just a few dollars. This way, I know they are clean and with the strap they are very secure, not letting in light.

I only use sunscreen outdoors if I'm going to be out for a long time, between 10 and 3 p.m. Otherwise, I just use a lotion with antioxidants. Lately, I've been using a Hawaiian Tropic aloe lotion before going out, and after showers. I don't trust the chemicals in sunscreen, and they reaction they could have on the skin, and in the body, especially when mixed with sunlight. (That's just my own theory, I haven't researched that). I like the ones that are just physical blocks, but the one I have now isn't waterproof anyway (I swim a lot). HTHS.
Have you heard of Tanzotic tanning lotions? They are from a co. called NaturalEmu.com They contain AEA certified fully refined Emu oil and only the highest grade natural ingredients.

Oh yeah, don't your goggles cause racoon eyes or the strings leave marks?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
<Paula>
I move the goggles around so the straps don't leave marks. I do get the white around my eyes some, but makeup hides it.