Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Anthelios SX sunscreen Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
This question is for skin biology. The FDA has approved a sunscreen to be used in the US that was available in other countries called Anthelios SX. Its main ingredient appears to be something called ecamsule. I was wondering if you consider this ingredient to be safe to be used to protect the skin from the sun? And if you could shed some light on what ecamsule is?

Thanks,

Micah.
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I am not "Skin Biology" but I will try to answer your question until one of the team gets here. Smiler

The name of the ingredient that has received recent FDA approval in the USA is "Mexoryl". It is the active ingredient in sunscreens such as Anthelios (Europeon and Canadian) and Vichy. It is claimed to be the only one that adequately blocks UVA rays (the damaging one that causes aging).

I guess it depends upon whether or not you want to put a chemical sunscreen on your face.

Personally I don't care to put chemicals on my face. I try to be careful with sun exposure generally, and use a physical blocker that contains titanium dioxide.

KathyC Smiler
I personally never use any kind of sunscreen I just use SB suntan lotion. I was just interested to know if it actually works or not.

Thanks,

Micah.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
Oh, it definitely works.
I've been using a mexoryl sunscreen for over two years now. I defy anyone to get a tan with that stuff on their face. I love it.
Yes it does work. I used to use it before switching to a physical sunblock.

I have heard that mexoryl will only be available in the USA at an SPF of 15. I do not know the reliability of that information, however.

Kathy Smiler
Thanks for all the info. I have blemish prone skin and has anyone had breakouts using the athelios sunscreen?

Thanks,

Micah.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,
I have a pale 'Irish' complextion that freckles. I stay OUT OF THE SUN and I wear a sunscreen ALL THE TIME. I started ordering Anthelios (60+) from Canada about a year ago and have been successfully using it since then. My dermatologist has commented that Mexoryl is the best UVA blocker available. I can say that, for me, nothing gets past this stuff.
Picture of Kathryn06
Generally I just stay out of the sun and don't worry about it too much when I get a little exposure. But recently, I had no choice but to be in a place with extremely strong sun, and I bought Bioderma while there. I felt it was probably best to have a chemical blocker. I got the Photoderm Max for sensitive and oily skin, and I didn't break out AND it was very effective. I'm not sure if I would use it for everyday, but I'm glad I gave it a try and I am adding it to my arsenal.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kathryn06,