Find
Notify
Tools
Changes to Forum Login/Join

Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Report This Post  

Question:
Dear Clients & Visitors:

We are thinking about making a change in the Forum Software so that messages will post from Most Recent to the First Message posted.

Would this be of help?
Or would it make it even more confusing?

Please vote below...
We'd like to take into consideration your opinion before we make the change.

***Please cast your vote before Monday (2/14/05)****

Thank you for supporting our message board,
-Skin Bio Team

Choices:
No--- I'm fine with how it is now
YES--- Change it so that new posts (within a thread) are from most recent or (last to first)
YES--- Change it so that threads with a recent post are listed in the forum itself from most recent (or last to first)
YES--- Change BOTH (so that new posts within a thread AND new threads are from most recent - or last to first)

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Actually Debbie, we were thinking if the posts within a thread were from most recent to the first then you wouldn't have to go to the last page (for threads that have a number of pages) just to read what was posted last.

OR...

Would it be easier for everyone if (as you mentioned Deb) have the threads with the most recent posts sorted to the top of each forum.

OR do both things???

(We'll definitely have the threads with the most recent posts sorted to the top of the forum, though)

-Skin Bio Team

Hi Skinbio,

I agree with Deb, that it is much easier to read through a thread in order. I think it would be too confusing to read it backwards.

One thing I think would be helpful is- When you go to a particular section, in the far right hand column, it says "last post" and gives you the date/time/and person who posted. But unfortunately it is not accurate because if gives you the date & time of the original poster. If it was corrected to show the actual date of the last post than it would make it much easier to skim the boards to see which threads had the recent posts.
Picture of Dave
Most forum software posts threads in order of the most recent post, i.e., a thread with the most recent post is the first on the forum, the thread with the next most recent thread is next, and so on, no matter when the threads were started. This keeps the most active threads at the top of the list, and allows inactive threads to scroll off the first page.

However, within a thread, posts are normally listed in chronological order, so a new person can read from first to last, the way the conversation actually went, simply by scrolling down.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

-------------------------------------
A song don't have much meaning when it don't have nothin' to say, what she could do was magic son, all I could do was play. -- Harry Chapin
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear Sadie and All:

Thanks for the suggestions - We will be working on it.

-Skin Bio Team
One more thing, is it possible to have the dates of when posts are created and replied to? They used to be available and now they aren't.

Laurie
Skin Biology,

I agree with Deb -- "the forum has gone mad!"

It appears that the messed up threads are in the 'Healthy Skin' forum. Perhaps you're just testing some of the proposed changes there. Anyway, it is very confusing. You have to look at the dates of each post in a thread to determine whether to start reading at the top or at the bottom.

Gina
Skinbiology,

Please tell us your going to switch the "Healthy Skin" section back to the way it was. It is SO confusing having to read everything backwards!

Thanks!
Sadie
<DebbieNIR>
quote:
Originally posted by Sadie:
Skinbiology,

Please tell us your going to switch the "Healthy Skin" section back to the way it was. It is SO confusing having to read everything backwards!

Thanks!
Sadie

Yes, pretty please with copper peptides on top?????

It is awful. It is worse than reading backwards. It is reading backwards except the first post that initiated the thread is not backwards! Eeker

So, you have to read the first post on page one and then go to page two and start reading from the bottom backwards!

HELP!!!!!

Deb Smiler
Deb,

I feel sorry for any new users on the forum! Can you imagine what they're thinking LOL! Smiler
I also posted this comment in "Healthy Skin", but then figured it would be more appropriate here.

I noticed Deb and Dave and others already pointed this out, but I'm finding that distinguishing between posts and comments and threads is a little confusing, so I'm wording it differently in the interest of maybe helping out a little bit:

"I voted for what I thought was moving whole THREADS with the most recent comments to the top of their respective forums (i.e., in the "Healthy Skin" forum, a thread started on 1/30/05 with the most recent comment made at 9:15a on 2/13/05 would automatically move to the top of the forum, ahead of a thread started on 2/4/05 wherein the most recent comment was made on 2/13/05 at 9:00a) but for leaving the comments within a thread in original order, i.e., from first comment to most recent."

I suspect that's what most of us thought we were voting for.

Can we do that, SB, rather than put it back the way it was?
Skin Bio - HELP!

The threads are almost impossible to follow! The first post stays put and then everything else makes no sense. The threads have no logical sequencing now. You have also deleted the dates each post was sent so it's even more difficult to follow! PLEASE can we have it back to how it was??? I really believe most people did not understand what they were voting on.

Thank you for listening!
Belle
I wanted to vote but really wasn't sure what the options were. the wording is confusing.

What I would like to see is:

that threads with new posts move to the top of the list so that threads with current discussions are the ones you see first.

However, within the actual discussion/thread I would like the posts to be displayed in the order that they were posted: first to last.

Hopefully, I am being more clear than the poll questions.

Susan
Picture of Skin Biology
We apologize for the confusion - Our IT person must have been doing some testing that we were unaware of.

What we will do is have the individual posts within a thread list from first to last (so that they can be read with the succession of how the posts were made).

And then the actual threads in the forums list from the ones with the most recent posts.

We promise that this will be very easy to follow and a much needed improvement once we're done.

Please bear with us for a moment.
Again our apologies on that recent upset to a few threads.

-Skin Bio Team

<Maya>
Skin Bio...

FYI...I noticed when someone responded to a thread, sometimes the "Latest Post" time are incorrectly displayed particularly in the PRODUCTS section since the new changes took place.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: <Maya>,
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear Debbie:

Thanks for hanging in there with us while we sorted out how to make this forum easier.

Feel free to post other suggestions.

Enjoy! And Thank You All...
-From Skin Bio Team
<Maya>
Skin Bio,

Thanks for making this forum a much easier to read and follow. Overall this forum is quite good.

I have another suggestion if this forum can be improved further based on other forum I participate, you may or may not take this into consideration.

If a thread of the main forum (Products, Help and FAQ, and General) received replies:

Last Post within 1-60 minutes will show e.g " 5 minutes ago" and the user name of the last person replied to that thread.

If no reply after 1 hour it will show "Today" and the user name of the last person replied to that thread.

If a thread is 1 day old it will show the last post's date and time e.g. "2/15/2005 Tuesday at 10:00 am" and the user name of the last person replied to that thread.

To all forum members: What you think?