Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Men and Hair length Login/Join

posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
It's a job to sort through all the copyright permissions in the U.S., yes...
it's an entire universe of its own.

This last one is "Apollo and Daphne" by J. Waterhouse. Enjoy, and healthy hair and skin to all--

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Jason7,

Picture of stoney
Hi Jason7,

I've enjoyed all of your nice pics. Thanks for posting them.

So, If you don't mind me asking, How long are your locks?... Big Grin...

There is nothing like a healthy head of hair, perhaps that is why most men can't handle keeping it long. Unruly, damaged looking hair is not that attractive... male -or- female, so I guess like anything else, it is ALL about how we take care of ourselves.

Actually, there are quite a few men that enjoy this site, maybe because of all the women?... Confused?... which would makes sense to add pics of men for the majority of us who are females.

Makes sense, right?... Wink
Honestly I think most men kind of want to 'not need to look good' but still assume that most women are making tremendous efforts to do the same; maybe it's arrogance; I don't know....

My hair has been shoulder-length for some time; I kind of didn't know what to do with it beyond that length; there are no real models for how to treat it/tie it back/anything other than just a ponytail, which you don't see too often on men. I just want to have healthy hair so I can't speak to whether or not others like it. Mostly I just get the vibe that men don't want to "have to" bother, not that it's a time thing; it's a "I don't have to try to impress" which is healthy in some ways, but I think has devolved to a kind of reverse chic where it is actually associated with masculinity. None of this is new under the sun, of course...Anyway, I think these are just great paintings, and they kind of sketch out the possibilities for wearing your hair long whether you do it or not. It's also confusing too that a lot of women wear their hair short. I think everyone's looking to do what is the social norm but it's all become rather flexible so people stay with the extremes because the middle ground (longish for men, in particular) is so confusing to people. And men fear baldness a lot so there is a lot of preemptive cropping of hair so that people won't notice balding.
Picture of stoney
Yes, That is an interesting male point of view which is pretty much the way it is. For me, I strive to be more like a male in not wanting the NEED to always look good, but more of just wanting to look good naturally. That is basically why I am here. Also, I think most men want to look good too, but won’t ever really admit it.

Society does play a huge role with how people in general dress, wear their hair, etc. I too do not exactly understand short hair on women although there are many beautiful women with short hair. Sometimes I think women tend to look like they came out of a mold. I have always worn my hair long to mid length with no real hair style other than maybe some barrettes, combs, hair bands, etc. but mostly just a la natural. I only cut my hair short once in my life when I was about 14. I wanted to see how people reacted (mostly guys) & I told my hairdresser mom "cut it off"... kind of a Britney Spears moment... Confused... Well, I found that it didn’t make much difference short -or- long with the male gender, but found that I personally hated it...never did that again!

Anyway, I agree that society often dictates how we look, think & act. I like seeing people who break out of the norm without trying to make a statement.

Happy Skin & Hair to ALL!... Cheers!
Well people are confused so that is why there are hair extensions.

I feel most people's hair looks awful-- starting with because it's unhealthy-- and when I see plastic surgery or hair extensions it truly looks like death in life, as it is like mortician's tricks to dress up something lifeless or lackluster. All the plastic in the face/on the face/on the head/in the body of people just makes me think of a corpse; I can't help it; like there is no biological vitality left and it is all creepily augmented.

So I come to the hair and appearance thing to think different, cause I don't wanna be like that. In the process I realized that I like my hair longish and want to question anything that says it's not right-- and in fact I'm in the right; its healthier! We all should do what seems right and be healthy doing that if possible.

We also have some cleanliness thing in the US; you have to back off on washing long hair cause it's just too tedious; people generally have the hair style they can wash the most without trouble because people wash like crazy (and wash pheromones off). So with long hair you get to perceived hygiene issues people are also somewhat backwards on. If my hair were superlong and I could fully wash it only once a week with healthgiving shampoos I wouldn't feel 'dirty;' but many people would. So they erode it down with sodium lauryl sulfate and it becomes a big cycle.

It's all just from misinformation really-- & I sense it can all be overcome.
I for one thing long hair on men is gorgeous, and most of my friends agree. Short hair is fine too, but guys with shaggy curls or healthy ponytails are a bonus. I'm young though (19), and I think the long hair look is making a comeback in this general age range. I'm sure recent movies like Lord of the Rings and Pirates of the Caribbean have helped.