Skin Biology    healthyskin.infopop.cc    SKIN BIOLOGY OFFICIAL CHAT FORUM | Free Skin Consultation 1-800-405-1912  Hop To Forum Categories  Products  Hop To Forums  Hair    Is it normal to shed a lot more hair in a given season?

Moderators: Rosy

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is it normal to shed a lot more hair in a given season? Login/Join

Picture of Rossana
posted   Report This Post  
Since I was a child, I always noticed that I shed huge amounts of hair in the summer, especially in the late summer. I normally shed like 10 hairs/day, but in the summer I would say it is something like 100 or 150, or maybe even more.

I cannot figure why, I have the same type of diet, I do never expose my hair to the sun for more than few minutes, I use the same products (CP shampoo and conditioner, and Folligen Spray from time to time). I take the same supplements (which include vit C, MSM, copper, borage oil, omega 3 through real food like flax seeds, salmon etc etc)
The weather here in South CA is pretty much the same year round. I always wash my hair about every 4 or 5 days, I never swim in pools or ocean. I have not used a hair drier for about 12 years, I have never in my life done any chemical treatment to my hair, nor heating to straighten or curl them.
The hair loss is not visible on the head, but yet every year in the Summer I get worried seeing that for months I shed so much.
Is it normal? Does this happen to other people too?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rossana,

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
No idea on seasons.

Seems like you are doing everything right.

Are you taking Biotin also? If not I recommend it. Google biotin and hair loss are associated.

Also, emu oil for hair.

Also, I've been doing facial exercises which work the scalp muscles, and my hair loss went way down. Maybe the improved circulation helps.
Picture of Rossana
Thanks for the tips oskyzz!
I take a multivitamin with 33% RDA of biotin, plus i eat plenty of vegetables, probiotic (kefir), some lean meat and egg yolks, so I do not think I have deficiency of that. But maybe i will try to take a separate supplement for that too.

As to facial exercises, i do not do any, I have been thinking of starting them though!

I am wondering if it possible that this seasonal hair loss is due to new hairs growing in the roots and pushing the existing hairs out, thus causing them to fall...

Picture of Di
Hi Rossana,
Yes,I think it is normal to loose more hair in the summer and late summer. I start loosing more hair about this time of year and I keep loosing it during the fall, but then about January I start seeing a lot of new hair growing in. It happens to me almost every year. My sisters all do the same. I think normal is about 50 to 100 hairs a day. If this is something that is really bothering you then you should ask your doctor.
Rosanna,

If you google Biotin and hair loss, you will see that the recommended amount is much higher than the amount you are getting...special supplementation is needed.

DHT blockers can important also, it's in one of Skin Bio's products, can remember if it's the emu oil for hair or the folligen, you can check.

Here is a link on natural methods...

http://www.webmd.com/skin-prob...-hair-loss-naturally

If as Di says, this is seasonal, and you are not worried about net loss of hair, then it's moot.

Good luck.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Some women tell us that they go up to 4 to 5 grams of MSM daily and see better hair health.

Also, sometimes large amounts of flaxseed oil - 5 grams daily - help.

This is our general advice on hair care for women.

Many hair products for women cause long term damage. Many hair experts think that women's hair was healthier 100 years ago. Old photographs
often show women in the 60s with hair down to their shoulders or their waist.

Skin Rejuvenating Copper Peptides often improve scalp and hair health.

This may help.

1.If your scalp is irritated, then to calm your scalp and help hair growth, the best would be to use the Emu Oil for Hair on your scalp in the morning and Folligen Lotion at night in denser hair areas and Folligen Cream on hairlines. Start with a very light amount of each. You do not need to wash it out in the morning.

2. If there is no irritation, then use Folligen Solution on your scalp - a small amount. Let it dry a little, then apply a light amount of Emu Oil-S for Hair. You do not need to wash it out in the morning.

3. If you have very blonde hair, then use Folligen for Blondes. This is a new lotion based on tin-peptides but most reports are very positive.

4. Our new Hair Signals Cream and Serum have a variety of DHT blockers and work better for some clients.

5. Also take daily supplements of MSM - 2 to 4 grams - and 1 gram each of flaxseed oil and borage oil.

6. Always use a minimum of shampoo and conditioner. Folligen Shampoo and Folligen Conditioner are very mild shampoos that help thicken and keep more moisture on the hair shafts.

7. Keep heat off your head - blow dryers can boil follicles. Hot oil treatments also damage hair follicles.

8. Stress can cause hair loss. Blood cortisol levels are raised and this inhibits skin rejuvenation. Often temporarily taking a daily supplement of 75 to 100 mgs of DHEA for a few months will block the damaging actions of cortisol.

9. Tight bindings, buns, braids, and so on, can cause hair loss. Keep your hair loose and fluffy.

10. Sometimes new hair growth can push out older hair shafts and there may be a brief period of hair shedding as the new hair shafts push out the old dormant hair shafts. Old, non-growing hair is held in the hair follicle for about four months before falling out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
Picture of Rossana
Thanks everyone for the helpful replies.

I just ordered a 5mg Biotin supplement from Swanson. I will also increase the intake of MSM supplements, I was taking 2 grams daily, will up to 4.

As to flax seeds, I usually eat about 3 tablespoons of flax (which I grind just before eating) a day, which should be about 30 grams.. so that should be ok. I am taking 0.5 gram of borage oil a day, and I often eat olives.

I do remember that my mother and sister did have the same problem (I suppose they still have) as me in the late Summer. Years ago I shaved my hair really short (like 5 millimiters) and kept it that way for months, and still in the summer I was noticing that the hair was shedding more than usual.

Two questions:
- my hair is dark brown, would folligen for blondes help better than folligen spray because of the tin peptides?
- would the emu oil for skin work on the scalp (washed off after some hours)?

Picture of Dr. Pickart
You could try Folligen for Blondes with tin peptides. It is possible that it might work better for you than the copper peptide Folligen.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
Picture of Dr. Pickart
quote:
Originally posted by Rossana:
Since I was a child, I always noticed that I shed huge amounts of hair in the summer, especially in the late summer. I normally shed like 10 hairs/day, but in the summer I would say it is something like 100 or 150, or maybe even more.

I cannot figure why, I have the same type of diet, I do never expose my hair to the sun for more than few minutes, I use the same products (CP shampoo and conditioner, and Folligen Spray from time to time). I take the same supplements (which include vit C, MSM, copper, borage oil, omega 3 through real food like flax seeds, salmon etc etc)
The weather here in South CA is pretty much the same year round. I always wash my hair about every 4 or 5 days, I never swim in pools or ocean. I have not used a hair drier for about 12 years, I have never in my life done any chemical treatment to my hair, nor heating to straighten or curl them.
The hair loss is not visible on the head, but yet every year in the Summer I get worried seeing that for months I shed so much.
Is it normal? Does this happen to other people too?

Stuidies on hair growth find, that in humans, hair growth increases in the summer and this may be pushing out older hair shafts. This is strange since we would expect hair to increase in the colder winter.