Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Ok, shoot me Login/Join

Picture of Siân
posted   Report This Post  
but I love a little sun. My skin always feels better after time outdoors. Is this a destructive practice? I don't burn, but I would in strong sun. I like having a touch of color. Just a personal preference. Any comments are welcome including warnings (no scolding, please)
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Okay Sian,

Here is your feel good response... I hate chemical sunscreens. I have used them for over 10 years because I was told by the skin care gurus that I had to. Although I have rather pale skin normally, I don't have a problem with melasma or any other abnormal skin discolorations. I believe that those that are predisposed to melasma are very concerned about sun protection and I totally understand where they are coming from.

1 year ago I embarked on an experiment that involved trying every readily available, drug store type sunscreen for sensitive skin (which I have!) I hated every one of them - they all felt like heavy masks on my skin and/or they caused irritation. I thought about ordering the fancy European ones online but decided what's the point?

Based upon my own research of physical sunscreens I happened upon one made by Devita which claims to be SPF 30 and protective against UVA/UVB (zinc oxide based). I have no idea if it is stable or as protective as it claims to be. It feels light on my skin and does not cause irritation. That was enough for me as it was this or no sun protection at all for daily use.

That being said, your screen name says you are from ski country. The sun reflected off of the snow can be intense. When I ski in the winter and or/spend a day in the blazing Lake Michigan sun in the summer, I wear my least irritating chemical sunscreen and I slather it on (Eucerin Sensitive skin SPF 30).

So... I'm sure others will chime in here. Looking forward to your scolding Smiler
Picture of Siân
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Sandra, I just hate sunscreens . Every single one I've tried makes my skin feel like crap. I also hate looking pasty because it is not flattering to my particular complexion. I 'm not the porcelain type.

I know very well that snow reflects sun, and I have certainly come in with bright red cheeks, though most of it is due to cold and not sun, as it subsides. After gearing up, not much skin is exposed anyway. I do agree, in spite of my protests, that it is good for skiers to wear sunscreen. Some of the pros still use zinc on their noses (we now have great goggles for eyes, so that's not much of an issue.)

I know that I've done my share of damage. I want to have my cake and eat it too. And please don't mention artificial tanners. No way.

I welcome input and promise not to be offended.