Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Avene Sunscreen SPF 20 -for normal to oily skin Login/Join

Picture of FC1233
posted   Report This Post  
Hey, Any one try this sunscreen before? Please let me have your comments on the products and its ingredients as well.

Thanks
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear FC1233:

We'll look this up and post back.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Bio Team
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear FC1233:

Upon reviewing the chemicals contained in the ingredients, here are Dr. Pickart's comments:

"We do not recommend it. This is filled with alien chemicals and oils that absorb UV energy, then breakdown."

-Skin Bio Team
Picture of FC1233
Thank you! SB team
Picture of Skin Biology
Dear FC1233:

You're welcome - When, and if, we find anything that we could stand behind and recommend as another option we will definitely let the chat forum know.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Bio Team
Picture of shanti
Hi
About the avene sunscreen-I thought avene was one of the better sunsreens out there with the tinosorb which is meant to be a stable sunscreen
Another forum I look at claims that and La Roche Posay as very good sunscreens-now I'm confused.
Anyone else have any opinions?
The eternal sunscreen question!

From hanging out around here for awhile, what I've gathered is that

- yes, the Anthelios sunscreen is very good at blocking UV rays

- Dr. Pickart is concerned about the foreign chemicals in the sunscreen breaking down in sunlight (even if the Mexoryl or Tinosorb themselves are stable)

- The SkinBio position seems to be that you'd be better off, all things considered, to use a non-micronized, physical blocker, specifically Titanium Dioxide and do your best to avoid sunlight, wear hats, sunglasses, etc...

- Personally, I use Anthelios Extreme Fluid quite a bit. I have no knowledge of chemistry or dermatology other that what I read online, but when extremely intelligent experts disagree, ordinary people like myself eventually just have to pick a path and hope for the best!
Hi RonnieB,

You are right on the money! Personally, after much research and confusion, I am starting to lean toward the moderate path. I don't avoid the sun like the plague, but I am aware and careful. I use a non-micronized, non-chemical sunscreen with an implied SPF of about 20 in the cooler months when the sun isn't so intense. This sunscreen is pretty useless, however, in blocking the damaging and aging UVA rays. In the summer when I am outdoors a lot, I use Anthelios Fluide Extreme SPF 60 or Vichy SPF 60 for maximum protection. It all depends on the day and the weather as to which sunscreen I use or if I bother to use one at all.

It's a catch 22 with sunscreens, it seems. We either get hit with the damage from the UVA or the damage from the chemicals in the sunscreens.

Kathy Smiler