Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Collagen Peptides as supplement Login/Join

Picture of Rossana
posted   Report This Post  
Recently I stumbled across an article suggesting Collagen Peptides is a good supplement for skin, hair and joints. I would like to ask Skin Biology is SB clients if anyone has any opinion or anecdotal evidence, as the scientific studies are not conclusive.

I take daily whey isolate and several other aminoacids such as L-Tyrosine, L-Lysine, L-Serine, Taurine (I train hard 6 days a week and do not eat meat nor fish so I take a lot of supplements to compensate for lack of meat intake).

The only aminoacid that is in Collagen Peptides that is not found in Whey Proteins is Hydroxyproline, which is a major component of the protein collagen.

I am aware that eating an aminoacid does not necessarily mean it will be biologically usable, in this case by skin / joints and where collagen is needed. That is why I would love to hear any opinion if anyone has. Thank you so much!

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear Rossana:

I'm sure Dr. Pickart will post his thoughts on this.

We do know in the past he said that he recommends clients research collagen hydrolysate studies.

Doing a search for those terms might lead you to some interesting information.

Others may chime in with their experiences though...

Best Wishes!
-Skin Biology
Picture of Rossana
There is a 2013 study, available also on PubMed, with title "Oral supplementation of specific collagen peptides has beneficial effects on human skin physiology: a double-blind, placebo-controlled study."

From the abstract:
69 women aged 35-55 years were randomized to receive 2.5 g or 5.0 g of CH or placebo once daily for 8 weeks, with 23 subjects being allocated to each treatment group. Skin elasticity, skin moisture, transepidermal water loss and skin roughness were objectively measured before the first oral product application (t0) and after 4 (t1) and 8 weeks (t2) of regular intake. Skin elasticity (primary interest) was also assessed at follow-up 4 weeks after the last intake of CH (t3, 4-week regression phase). At the end of the study, skin elasticity in both CH dosage groups showed a statistically significant improvement in comparison to placebo. After 4 weeks of follow-up treatment, a statistically significantly higher skin elasticity level was determined in elderly women. With regard to skin moisture and skin evaporation, a positive influence of CH treatment could be observed in a subgroup analysis, but data failed to reach a level of statistical significance.

So not a super large study and I have not been able to find any other reliable scientific study that isolates the effect of collagen peptides given orally. Hopefully more similar studies appear in the near future.

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Milan Adam in Prague did extensive work on this idea. He found it helped
with arthritis.

Look at...

https://www.collawell.com/inde...linical-Studies.html