Skin Biology    healthyskin.infopop.cc    SKIN BIOLOGY OFFICIAL CHAT FORUM | Free Skin Consultation 1-800-405-1912  Hop To Forum Categories  GENERAL  Hop To Forums  Supplements    Linamarin and cyanogenic compounds in flaxseeds

Moderators: Rosy

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Linamarin and cyanogenic compounds in flaxseeds Login/Join

Picture of Rossana
posted   Report This Post  
I have been eating ground raw flaxseeds for many years, ever since I read them mentioned on SB forum. I love them and never had issues. I typically eat about 2 tablespoons twice a day so a total of 4 tbsp/day.

Just recently I came across some studies highlighting the fact that raw flaxseeds may cause toxicity in the long run because the contain Linamarin which is then converted by the body into hydrogen cyanide.

Cooking would solve the problem but I have not been able to find any information regarding how long they should be cooked and if the liquid in which they are cooked should be discarded (which would be really hard to do since they thicken into a block when exposed to heat).
Also I am pretty sure cooking would decrease the antioxidants in the seeds.

So I am wondering: is it a good idea to continue eating them raw? Or cooking them? Or switching to sesame or pumpkin seeds, which however are much lower in Lignans?

I wanted to ask the opinion of SkinBiology staff and community, since I often read recommendations to take flaxseeds supplements or eat them. Thank you so much in advance!! Smiler

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I don't know if it is toxic.

The two most toxic effects of cyanide poisoning are thyroid goitre and diabetes associated with protein malnutrition. The safe amount commonly used is less than 3 tablespoons of raw flaxseeds per day sprinkled on salads and hot cereals and up to 6 tablespoons of raw flaxseeds consumed per day is safe.Jun 18, 2008

Dr. Ingrid Pincott, ND | Published Article | Is Flax Seed Toxic?
www.drpincott.com/publications...icles/article223.htm
Picture of Rossana
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Awesome! Thank you Dr. Pickart!

Life is too short to remove USB safely!