Skin Biology    healthyskin.infopop.cc    SKIN BIOLOGY OFFICIAL CHAT FORUM | Free Skin Consultation 1-800-405-1912  Hop To Forum Categories  GENERAL  Hop To Forums  Supplements    Can supplements suppress your natural production of Carnitine & Lipoic Acid?

Moderators: Rosy

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Can supplements suppress your natural production of Carnitine & Lipoic Acid? Login/Join

Picture of Rossana
posted   Report This Post  
I read that Acetyl-L-Carnitine and Lipoic Acid are produced in vertebrates naturally.
So my question is: is it possible that by taking supplements when you are young you inhibit your natural production of these compounds?

I am 28, I almost never eat red meat (only fish & chicken breast) so I followed the advice mentioned by Dr. Pickart to take Acetyl-L-carnitine and Lipoic Acid supplements. Currently I take 500mg/day of Acetyl-L-carnitine and 100mg/day Lipoic Acid. I take supplements only 5 days a week and 3 weeks a month.

The idea that supplements may suppress my natural production of these compounds worries me... I do weekly and monthly breaks from all supplements just not to let the body get too used to supplements in general, but I am not sure it is enough.

I have the same concerns about Melatonin (which so far I have not used but I was considering), also because melatonin is not allowed in my native country, to which I plan on returning one day in the far future. If I suppress my natural melatonin production by getting addicted to supplements now that I am still young, I'm afraid I'll need some loads of sleeping pills in the far future, when I return to my home country where I can't have melatonin not even with a prescription (I never had sleeping problem so far)...

Anyone knows anything about this issue of suppressing natural productions through supplements?
Many thanks in advance, I greatly appreciate any opinions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Rossana,

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
Picture of amirpana
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Of course you can.It won't suppress your natural production.Vitamin K2 is also synthesized in our bodies;however Keefer when eaten has a lot of healthy microorganisms which synthesize vitamin K2.Many people in different cultures do it. Similar to the case with those two supplements.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
You could suppress natural production of various supplements with supplements. The real problem is the drop off in many needed biochemicals in the body as we get older.

The war between those who want to ban all supplements and the supporters of supplements will last for a long time. My impression, based on people that I know, is that supplement users obtain great benefit from the products when they are over 50 years of age.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,
Picture of Rossana
Thanks Dr. Pickart. What age would you recommend do start using supplements? I am 28 have never used any, but a couple of months ago I started taking them. Is 28 too early of an age to start?
What about the compounds that are not naturally produced by the human body? Is it safer to get those even at a younger age?

quote:
roduction of various supplements with supplements. The real problem is the drop off in many needed biochemicals in the body as we get older.

The war between those who want to ban all supplements and the supporters of supplements will last for a long time. My impression, based on people that I know, is that supplement users obtain great benefit from the products when they are over 50 years of age.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,

Life is too short to remove USB safely!
Picture of Dr. Pickart
For now, just take a good multivitamin, multimineral capsule.

Aerobic exercise and avoiding mental stress are two of the best ways of staying young.