Skin Biology    healthyskin.infopop.cc    SKIN BIOLOGY OFFICIAL CHAT FORUM | Free Skin Consultation 1-800-405-1912  Hop To Forum Categories  GENERAL  Hop To Forums  Supplements    Foods that speed up collagen and elastin synthesis

Moderators: Rosy

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Foods that speed up collagen and elastin synthesis Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I want to kinda shorten the period for elastin to rebuild. I was reading that proline is needed for elastin synthesis and egg whites are a good source. I've also read that green tea helps build collagen and elastin. Fruits, especially are a great source of Vitamin C. Berries have anthocyanins which helps in connective tissue syntehsis. Yogurt has riboflavin So basically, I'll have green tea, Omega 3 eggs, and fruit for breakfast. Are there any others?
Picture of Skin Biology
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Dear CD:

Thanks for posting your question - We always suggest to make your your vitamin C intake is sufficient either naturally and/or with supplements.

Also avoiding excess sugar intake is helpful. Excess sugar damages the skin by increasing ‘AGE’ (Advanced Glycosylation End-products). These substances attach to collagen and break it down which increases wrinkles.

So whole fruits, vegetables and unprocessed grains provide a great source of essential sugars from complex carbohydrates without affecting blood sugar levels.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology
Picture of Dr. Pickart
Flaxseed oil, vitamin C, and MSM have been studied for improving skin quality. For humans, use 5-10 grams flaxseed oil, 2 grams vitamin C, and 2 grams MSM.

Skin Pharmacol Physiol. 2011;24(2):67-74. doi: 10.1159/000321442. Epub 2010 Nov 18.
Supplementation of flaxseed oil diminishes skin sensitivity and improves skin barrier function and condition.
Neukam K1, De Spirt S, Stahl W, Bejot M, Maurette JM, Tronnier H, Heinrich U.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:

Skin sensitivity is a common problem in the Western population correlated with changes of skin properties like skin barrier function, hydration and skin physiology. Skin properties can be modulated by dietary fatty acids (FA), especially poly-unsaturated FA. The present study was performed to evaluate the effect of daily supplementation with flaxseed oil and safflowerseed oil on healthy volunteers with sensitive skin.
METHODS:

The study was designed as a randomized, double-blind 12-week intervention with 2 female treatment groups (n = 13). Plasma FA profile, skin sensitivity, skin hydration, transepidermal water loss (TEWL) and skin surface were evaluated on day 0, week 6 and week 12.
RESULTS:

Supplementation with flaxseed oil led to significant decreases in sensitivity (after nicotinate irritation), TEWL, skin roughness and scaling, while smoothness and hydration were increased. Concomitantly, the ratio of n-6/n-3 FA in plasma decreased. Upon supplementation with safflowerseed oil, only a significant improvement in skin roughness and hydration was observed; however, the effects were less pronounced and determined at a later point in time than with flaxseed oil. The plasma n-6/n-3 FA ratio increased.
CONCLUSION:

The data provide evidence that daily intake of flaxseed oil modulates skin condition.
quote:
Originally posted by CD:
I want to kinda shorten the period for elastin to rebuild. I was reading that proline is needed for elastin synthesis and egg whites are a good source. I've also read that green tea helps build collagen and elastin. Fruits, especially are a great source of Vitamin C. Berries have anthocyanins which helps in connective tissue syntehsis. Yogurt has riboflavin So basically, I'll have green tea, Omega 3 eggs, and fruit for breakfast. Are there any others?

Astaxanthin is also reknown for thickening skin. You of course want the other bases covered that are mentioned here.