Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Taking Supplements After Expiration Date Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I continue to take my nutritional supplements and protein powder even after the expiration dates.

Does anyone else here do that?

I have a chance to stock up on some supplements that can be expensive like whey protein powder, MSM, Borage oil, coenzyme q-10, and alpha lipoic acid. The products are reduced because they will expire in about 6 months. I know that the vitamins decompose eventually, but that is a gradual process. What is so magical about an expiration date? Years ago I had a doctor who told me that he took medication even 2 years after the expiration date, although he advised his patients not to do the same.

Also, should certain supplements like vitamin-e, borage oil, fish oil and q-10 be stored in the fridge?

That is where I store those particular supplements, but I read recently read somewhere that supplements can break down under really cold temperatures.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Unless they start to smell, the supplements should be OK.

But I keep my borage, flaxseed, and salmon oils is the freezer.
Thanks for responding.

I guess the freezer should be better than the fridge.

Is it okay to keep the bottles of borage and fish oils in the freezer and remove about a week or two week's supply at a time?

Can they stay fresh without being refrigerated for a couple of weeks?

I just learned that vitamin and other food supplements will no longer be labeled with an expiration date. Now the manufacture date will be used instead.
Picture of Dr. Pickart
quote:
Is it okay to keep the bottles of borage and fish oils in the freezer and remove about a week or two week's supply at a time?

Q. Is it okay to keep the bottles of borage and fish oils in the freezer and remove about a week or two week's supply at a time?

A. Yes.
Picture of stoney
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Pickart:
Unless they start to smell, the supplements should be OK.

But I keep my borage, flaxseed, and salmon oils is the freezer.

Good idea Dr. Pickart...

I'm going to put my oils in 'glass wide-mouth pint size cannning jars' which are safe for freezing. Then leave a couple of weeks worth in the fridge. You do NOT want your oils to oxidize and freezing will prolong their freshness.

Thanks for the tip!... Thumbs UP!