healthyskin.infopop.cc
Taking Supplements After Expiration Date

This topic can be found at:
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/9940055903/m/5611079995

18 December 2010, 05:53 PM
nicekitty123
Taking Supplements After Expiration Date
I continue to take my nutritional supplements and protein powder even after the expiration dates.

Does anyone else here do that?

I have a chance to stock up on some supplements that can be expensive like whey protein powder, MSM, Borage oil, coenzyme q-10, and alpha lipoic acid. The products are reduced because they will expire in about 6 months. I know that the vitamins decompose eventually, but that is a gradual process. What is so magical about an expiration date? Years ago I had a doctor who told me that he took medication even 2 years after the expiration date, although he advised his patients not to do the same.

Also, should certain supplements like vitamin-e, borage oil, fish oil and q-10 be stored in the fridge?

That is where I store those particular supplements, but I read recently read somewhere that supplements can break down under really cold temperatures.
19 December 2010, 04:25 PM
Dr. Pickart
Unless they start to smell, the supplements should be OK.

But I keep my borage, flaxseed, and salmon oils is the freezer.
19 December 2010, 07:54 PM
nicekitty123
Thanks for responding.

I guess the freezer should be better than the fridge.

Is it okay to keep the bottles of borage and fish oils in the freezer and remove about a week or two week's supply at a time?

Can they stay fresh without being refrigerated for a couple of weeks?

I just learned that vitamin and other food supplements will no longer be labeled with an expiration date. Now the manufacture date will be used instead.
22 December 2010, 09:15 PM
Dr. Pickart
quote:
Is it okay to keep the bottles of borage and fish oils in the freezer and remove about a week or two week's supply at a time?

Q. Is it okay to keep the bottles of borage and fish oils in the freezer and remove about a week or two week's supply at a time?

A. Yes.
30 December 2010, 05:39 AM
stoney
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Pickart:
Unless they start to smell, the supplements should be OK.

But I keep my borage, flaxseed, and salmon oils is the freezer.

Good idea Dr. Pickart...

I'm going to put my oils in 'glass wide-mouth pint size cannning jars' which are safe for freezing. Then leave a couple of weeks worth in the fridge. You do NOT want your oils to oxidize and freezing will prolong their freshness.

Thanks for the tip!... Thumbs UP!