Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Is Copper Picolinate a good form to take? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
I've been using Skin Biology products for years topically; however, I've struggled to find a good oral supplement.

I've seen recommendations here to take an amino-acid chelate, so I've tried the Solgar brand which contains copper bis-gylcinate. When I take it it seems to have a positive effect on my libido.

However, unfortunately, when I take it on an empty stomach, it makes me feel ill for 15-20 minutes, before the feeling subsides. This means I can rarely bring myself to take it. Furthermore, if I take it after food... it makes me throw the whole lot up.

I've seen Copper Picolinate on sale (Thorne Research brand) and thought I might try that as an alternative... could Dr Pickart or someone else in the know cast their judgment on whether this is a good form to take?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: foodare,
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Stick to the copper glycinate. After you eat food, the human body absorbs copper as amino acids chelates of copper.

So just take the copper after a mean. Chelated copper causes the release on stomach acids and enzymes that dissolve food. But on an empty stomach chelated copper can cause nausea. Naturally your body takes up its copper after a meal.

The body has more trouble taking up copper from copper picolinate or copper gluconate.
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Thanks for your response!

Despite my bad experiences taking the Solgar copper bis-gylcinate on an empty stomach, and my bad experiences taking it *after* food, I tried it again mid-way through a meal.

And it worked! No nausea or stomach problems at all.

I suspect that my previous problems taking it after food were because I'd left it too long after finishing eating. I'll now make sure it take it during, or *immediately* after a meal.