Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
msm and copper Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Dr Pickart:
You recommend that we take 1gm of MSM daily. MSM is about 34% sulfur so 1 gram of MSM provides 340mg of sulfur? How much sulfur does the body need daily? If a person is trying to repair damaged skin and/or hair, will such a small amount of sulfur suffice?

I have used MSM in the past and I do think my hair, skin and nails were in better condition, but I took 3-4 grams per day, since sulfur is one of the most abundant elements in the body.Is this a case where more is not necessarily better or necessary? If one gram is enough, I don't want to waste money by taking more.

Also, you have said that copper is tightly bound in the body and cannot be displaced or chelated by sulfur or vitamin c. What about before then, like in the stomach and intestines or in a multivitamin where copper is included with other nutrients? I know that zinc can interfere with copper absorption, but can other nutrients, like calcium, magnesium, msm and vit c prevent the absorption of copper in the stomach?

I have also read that MSM works better if taken on an empty stomach. Is that true?
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
The body can only use sulfur in certain forms. MSM seems to be a very good way to transfer sulfur.

In the stomach, various items can interfere with each other but if you take more of everything, more will still get in.

An empty stomach may be best but in general having a little food in your stomach seems to work better. At least there is less chance of stomach upset.
Hi. I am wondering if a person is allergic to the drug sulfa, is it the same as what is contained in MSM? I'd love to be able to have this supplement but am concerned about the "sulfur". Thanks Doc. for help. ALSO, I wonder what can I do for interior Inflammation. I have many conditions that are related to inflammation inside my body.
Picture of Siân
Like what? Do you have cats?
Picture of Dr. Pickart
quote:
Originally posted by cattie:
Hi. I am wondering if a person is allergic to the drug sulfa, is it the same as what is contained in MSM? I'd love to be able to have this supplement but am concerned about the "sulfur". Thanks Doc. for help. ALSO, I wonder what can I do for interior Inflammation. I have many conditions that are related to inflammation inside my body.

The American diet, plus that of many other countries, is a very pro-inflammatory diet.

The major problem is the ratio of inflammatory omega-6 fatty acids to anti-inflammatory omega-3 fats. This is because omega-3 fast from corn and soybeans are heavily used in prepared food.

To increase your body's anti-inflammatory defenses, avoid prepared foods and try to eat a diet high in fish or take 3 grams of salmon oil daily.

Also take 100 mgs of alpha lipoic acid, 1 gram of vitamins, 100 units of Co-Q-10, 1 gram of MSM, etc. There are prepared mixtures of anti-oxidant supplements.
quote:
Originally posted by Siân:
Like what? Do you have cats?
No, I do not.
Picture of eniac
MSM
is a very nice supplement!
I blend one teaspoon with a big orangejuice!
My joints, back, is better!
And my skin is not so prone to have breakouts, heals fast! Become thicker..
Its important to take msm with ascorbic-acid, vitamine-c. Focus on natural fruits, its the best!
Otherwhise, go for vitamin-c with bioflavines.

skincare nerd, want to know everything!!