Skin Biology    healthyskin.infopop.cc    SKIN BIOLOGY OFFICIAL CHAT FORUM | Free Skin Consultation 1-800-405-1912  Hop To Forum Categories  Products  Hop To Forums  Scents & Attraction    Oil that can be additionally used as insect repellant

Moderators: Rosy

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Oil that can be additionally used as insect repellant Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Although I've never posted on this board before I've been a user of Skin Biology products for 3+ years and totally love what they have done for my skin.

Last Summer I moved to Austin TX and was eaten alive by mosquito's and "no-see'ums" I just hated spraying myself down with chemical insect repellant, but the alternative was many, many bites all over me if I went outside for only a brief time.

It would be great if the Calypso Oils could also come in a scent that is pleasant to humans but would repel insects. The weather is just starting to warm up now and I've started to think about being bitten. Frowner

Dr. Pickart...help...last Summer I was a walking buffet for the bugs here!
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
I don't know what would work.
audioangel
you could try some essential oils in the calypso oil(unscented would be best) - or other carrier oil of your choice.

neem oil would probably work on it's own, but adding essential oils like basil would smell nicer.
just make sure the EO's you choose have repellant qualities.
or if you have some other strong scented repellant herb (plant) about - crush the leaves and rub onto skin.

I'm not in texas - but skeeters usually adore me here in the hudson valley (NY state). certain strong scents do repel the buggers.

...and don't forget to empty any standing/stagnant water that you may have about.
Hi Bumble,

I've been reading online that catnip (which I have for my cat and it smells like mint) rosemary, basil, citronella and a few other herbs can repel. I'm going to try getting a few of these essential oils and add them to some unscented calypso oil and try it. I just dont want to keep spraying myself down with DEET or other repellents.

Last Summer I tried adding B vitamins to my diet and not eating Bananas and some other tricks the locals have told me about...but nothing seems to work. Literally I can go outside for 5 minutes and come back in with 6-7 bites. Now that the West Nile fever is in this area I want to try to reduce the number of bites I get. Never going outside during the Summer is just not an option.

I'll post in a few months after I've tried various combinations to say if the essential oils have helped.