Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Microfiber Washcloth Irritation??? Login/Join

posted
I used a microfiber washcloth yesterday for the first time on my neck and now I have what look like lots of little pimples? Is this kind of irritation common when first using the microfiber washcloths or is my neck skin too sensitive for this??

Posts: 143 | Location: ny | Registered: 17 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you use the microfiber washcloth from NCN? I call that one the "devil's whip" because so many people burn their face when first starting it. It's a good tool, but you must take it LIGHTLY.
It sounds like you did irritate your skin. Neck skin is fairly fragile.
Don't use any actives, Clarisonic, or any other scrub pressure for a week and let it calm down.Use ONLY your hands to wash your face. Depending on your age and your skin type, you may only need to use it one time a week.
When you start back, pretend it is sandpaper. You want to apply it VERY lightly, in a circular motion, with much less pressure than you 'd do with a regular washcloth. Barely touch it to the skin.Use two fingers if you think you will press too hard. For me, it helps to have some mild cleanser on it to help it slip over the skin.
Most of us have been there with overdoing the cloth, so just let it get better and then do it very gently. It does give great exfoliation which helps you use other products.
Personally, my favorite it to use mainly chemical exfoliation (BHAs and AHAs),and I rarely use my cloth or Clarisonic, just once a week if I need a bit more exfoliation. Remember that manual exfoliation can irritate your face and make other products sting more so than the chemical exfoliators. HTH.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,

Posts: 39 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 04 February 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks lalique! The cloth is called the Wonder Cloth. It's about a week later now and my neck is almost cleared up. The bumps looked like pimples and were a bit itchy. I'd used the cloth on my legs first and maybe some of the gunk from my legs got scratched into my neck skin. Ugh. I will be so gentle after that ordeal. Thank you again so much.

posted Hide Post
Hi Annie,
I am glad you are feeling better.
The hardest thing for me to do is when I have to lay off everything for that week to ten days necessary to correct something I overdid.
BTW I didn't mean to knock the NCN microfiber cloth. It's the only one I use, and NCN is an enthusiastic supporter of Dr. P and Copper Peptides and sell Dr. P's products too.. They also have good customer service, so you should feel free to call them and ask them about the use of their microfiber cloth and suggestions after you've overused it.
Skin Biology and NCN skin care help to keep me on the right Copper peptide path.

posted Hide Post
Thanks lalique. It's only the 8th day after I used the Wonder Cloth on my neck. Things looked better but I notice that after a shower, there is a flare-up. Hubby thinks this is normal/common after any skin irritation. He says guys get all kinds of neck irritation/rashes from shaving and that they worsen with heat from shower. Does this sound right? I'm wondering if I could have redness from sudden cold weather. It's so localized though -- just on sides of my neck. Is the cloth from NCN the same as Wonder Cloth? I think the cloths are great --- I just was too forceful for first time neck usage. Thank you again for your response.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

posted Hide Post
Hi Annie,
I think NCN microfiber cloths are made especially for Nancy (the "boss" at NCN). Others look like them, exactly, but the NCN ones are different, especially after washing them. The NCN ones you should hand wash, no fabric softener, and then let dry naturally. They cost around $12 unless she's having a sale, but as a "tool" for exfoliation, it's worth it.
I admit again, the hardest part of all of this skin remodelling is to leave it alone long enough to get better. One of my former favorite skin advisors used to tell me that after I had completely improved, to then add only one active back in per week. So, if you use CP, RAM and Vitamin C, or the BHAs or AHAs, you have to pick which one to add back in each week. It's a sure way to keep it all skin rejuvenation, but...oh, the patience needed!!
Gentle cleanser,moisturizer if needed, and sunscreen should be all you do till you don't see any sign of the irritation after a shower. Even some forms of aloe may irritate it, strangely enough.
Good luck. It's worth the wait, or you'll keep having problems with it if you add in the actives too soon. I learned by experience, which is always the best teacher. LOL

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,

Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
These cloths were first used for cleaning rust from steel.

So, always be careful of overusing the cloths.

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Dr. P,
That is an amazing fact, but I do believe it!
Thank you for telling us that about the cloths, it explains a lot.