Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Epidermal Growth Factor Toxicity Login/Join

Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted
Many products for skin now include Epidermal Growth Factor or EGF.

This is a very bad idea. EGF has toxic actions on hair follicles from which the stem cells for skin arise.

Mixing EGF and copper peptides is a bad idea. Very little EGF can penetrate the skin. I can find no credible evidence that EGF in cosmetics actually improves skin.

If enough EGF penetrated the skin to have an effect, then there are the toxicity problems of EGF. Wound healing studies with EGF were stopped because the EGF built up in the blood stream. EGF causes serious hair loss.

The injection of only 2 milligrams of EGF into adult sheep causes all the wool hair to fall out within a week.

EGF causes hair to fall out.

Science 24 July 1998:
Vol. 281. no. 5376, p. 511

First man tamed fire. Then he invented agriculture. Now, after 5000
years of shearing sheep by hand, he's created Bioclip, which leaves
the job to the sheep.

Bioclip is based on a common protein called epidermal growth factor
(EGF). Discovered 2 decades ago by biochemist Stanley Cohen of
Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tennessee, EGF stimulates the
growth of various types of tissues in animals and causes one type of
sheep to molt periodically. CSIRO, the Australian research agency, has
spent 20 years looking into how to harness EGF in the sheep industry
and has now incorporated it into a biological substitute for shears.
At shearing time, says Pat Wilson of CSIRO's animal production
facility, a sheep gets an injection of Bioclip and is then fitted with
a net that catches the fleece as it falls off, a process that takes
about a week.

Wilson and the company, Bioclip Pty Ltd. in New South Wales, say they
will launch the product commercially in October and anticipate a big
demand: The country's $3-billion-a-year wool industry produces 70% of
the world's clothing wool. Soon barns Down Under may no longer ring
with the sounds of spring shearing--instead, there will be 150 million
merinos milling around in hairnets.

For more, look at www.au.merial.com/pdf/bioclip_...0_sales_brochure.pdf

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I burnt off some of my eyebrow trying to remove a scar with the acids. (Sold acids need to come with sufficient warnings of possible negative side effects such as scabbing and pigmentation problems).

The person at the skin clinic I went to said it wouldn't have done any harm although a full year on and the eyebrow still looks a little uneven as it is growing in different directions were the scab was.

The person I spoke to at the clinic recommended a product: eye serum by aq skin solutions for the scar. Is this one of the products that you say should not be used as it says in contains growth factors although I'm not sure if it is epidermal growth factor. Thank you for your help.

Posts: 8 | Location: uk | Registered: 09 May 2014Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
The growth factors will not penetrate the skin effectively.

To improve your skin's appearance, use Trireduction cream.

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
What about creams with IGF-1?

Posts: 10 | Location: Oslo | Registered: 04 September 2005Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
High levels of IGF-1 and regular insulin are considered accelerators of aging by some researchers.

From http://www.hindawi.com/journals/bmri/2014/151479/

3.5. Insulin and Insulin-Like Pathways

The insulin/IGF-1-like receptor pathway is a contributor to the biological aging process in many organisms. The gene expression data suggests that GHK suppresses this system as 6 of 9 of the affected insulin/IGF-1 genes are suppressed.

Insulin/IGF-1-like signaling is conserved from worms to humans. In vitro experiments show that mutations that reduce insulin/IGF-1 signaling have been shown to decelerate the degenerative aging process and extend lifespan in many organisms, including mice and possibly humans. Reduced IGF-1 signaling is also thought to contribute to the “antiaging” effects of calorie restriction [63].