Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Snail secretion? Login/Join

posted
Hello all,

I'm curious to know if anyone here has heard anything about snail secretion being used in skincare and cosmetics. I just read an article about Katie Holmes using snail serum to perfect her complexion, and it really grossed me out.

Why on earth would someone use something like this on his/her face when they could use copper peptides and topical exfoliants by Skin Biology? Smiler

Posts: 140 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 September 2011Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
People who are allergic to house dust mites (just about everyone) often have an allergy to snails.

Allergy. 1996 Jun;51(6):387-93.
Asthma after consumption of snails in house-dust-mite-allergic patients: a case of IgE cross-reactivity.
van Ree R, Antonicelli L, Akkerdaas JH, Pajno GB, Barberio G, Corbetta L, Ferro G, Zambito M, Garritani MS, Aalberse RC, Bonifazi F.

Central Laboratory of The Netherlands Red Cross Blood Transfusion Service, University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
Abstract

A group of 28 patients from Italy was studied who had asthma after consumption of snail. All patients also had asthma and/or rhinitis caused by house-dust mite. RAST analyses confirmed the combined sensitization to snail and mite. In a few sera, IgE antibodies reactive with other foods of invertebrate origin (mussel and shrimp) were detected. RAST inhibition showed that most IgE antibodies against snail were cross-reactive with house-dust mite. In contrast, the mite RAST was not significantly inhibited by snail. This indicates that house-dust mite was the sensitizing agent. Immunoblot analyses revealed multiple bands in snail extract recognized by IgE. In contrast to what has been described for cross-reactivity between shrimp and mite, tropomyosin played only a minor role as a cross-reactive allergen in these patients. The observations in this study indicate that snail consumption can cause severe asthmatic symptoms in house-dust-mite-allergic patients. It might, therefore, be advisable to screen mite-allergic asthma patients for allergy to snail and other invertebrate animal foods.

Pediatr Pulmonol Suppl. 1999;18:163-4.
Allergy to house dust mite and snails: a model of cross-reaction between food and inhalant allergens with a clinical impact.
Pajno GB, Morabito L, Barberio G.
Source

Istituto di Clinica Pediatrica, University di Messina, Italy.
Abstract

A knowledge of cross-reactions between different allergens can facilitate the diagnosis of allergy. IgE cross-reactivity has been identified between house dust mite and snails. While most patients have mild symptoms, asthma and/or anaphylaxis may occur with these and other cross-reacting foods. It may be worthwhile to include measurement of IgE to some edible invertebrate animals in asthmatics, e.g. in mite allergic asthmatic patients who eat snails.

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
Picture of Nathalie
posted Hide Post
Many Korean cosmetics companies sell so-called Moisture Mask made by snail. One of my friends gave it to me as a souvenir from Seoul, but I could not use it and threw it away secretly.

Today, I met this friend and she praised me for my skin, so I told her enthusiastically about Skin Biology! Wink

Posts: 19 | Location: Tokyo | Registered: 08 October 2013Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
Thanks!

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Dr. Pickart!

I truly appreciate you taking the time to visit the forum and educate us with more in-depth information and/or answers.

Happy Thanksgiving!

Posts: 140 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 September 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nathalie:
Many Korean cosmetics companies sell so-called Moisture Mask made by snail. One of my friends gave it to me as a souvenir from Seoul, but I could not use it and threw it away secretly.

Today, I met this friend and she praised me for my skin, so I told her enthusiastically about Skin Biology! Wink

Interesting. I recently saw snail secretion as the second ingredient listed in a CC cream manufactured by IT cosmetics, which really turned me off. I couldn't imagine why something like snail secretion would be used in cosmetics or skin care, when there are so many other ingredients (such as CPs and squalene or emu oil) that are much healthier and more beneficial for our skin. Craziness.

Good for you! Spread the word about Skin Biology... I do as well Smiler

Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
Happy Thanksgiving in Minnsota!

My wife and were in Minnesota in October, mainly in and around Winona and the Mississippi River valley between Winona and St. Paul.

posted Hide Post
Nice! I live in Oakdale Minnesota, but commute to downtown Minneapolis M-F. Its quite the ride in the snow and ice.

Thank goodness for Day Cover and and squalane oil to protect my skin during the bitter MinneSNOWta winters.