Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Vitamin C products Login/Join

posted
I'm wondering- I know they used to be incompatible with copper peptides. I'm wondering if they are still considered incompatible.

Posts: 6 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 14 May 2011Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
We may change our advice about vitamin C.

In theory, vitamin C and SRCPs should not be used together because they can chemically react and the copper 2 can damage the vitamin C.

But no one ever has reported a problem and many women say they use both and have beautiful skin.

Some dermatologists say that this does not happen with vitamin C esters, but it does. These derms never do chemical studies.

But I do recommend using the SRCPs and vitamin C about 12 hours apart.

My old friend Linus Pauling published a paper in 1983 on a copper peptide plus ascorbic acid (vitamin C) producing oxygen radicals.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
This is great. Thanks!

Posts: 6 | Location: Southern California | Registered: 14 May 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I use both a 12 hours apart. I alternate retinols on one night, vitamin c serum which I make from a powdered form and mix it with hyaluronic acid on the next night, and a ouple layers of copper- a serum and a cream- over hyaluronic acid and matrixyl. I end with titanium and zinc. Doing that for years. I don't buy many things from drugstores or places like Sephora. I need to know strength, pH, viscosity, comedogenicity first. I have used many, many products. Too strong is too worse than too week for me.

Mikhail R Barson

Posts: 4 | Location: Fargo, ND | Registered: 17 April 2018Report This Post
Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Mikhail R Barson:
couple layers of copper- a serum and a cream- ...Doing that for years.

Dear Mikhail:

Thanks for sharing your regimen! How has that been working out for you?

Happy with the results?

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Awesome. I'm also using GHK Luxury Serum, and Sometimes I use the 7 percent accelerant mixed with Hyaluronic acid prior to the C, and its been good to me, I don't know how you feel about this, but I use resveratol in an oil formulation with a pure ascorbic acid powder second, three times a week,alternating with a retinol. I use Lac Sal and copper in the day, wait till it soaks in and then my sunblock if I am going outdoors. I work nights in a hospital and day sleep, but I walk a lot for exercise. In the past I was a wound care RN and used copper, silver, seaweed, saline, growth factors (made out of the patients own platelets) as well as wound vacs and also red LED light therapy. I use LED on my face and scalp, only because it does seem to work for me. I also micro needle every other week. I use either the brand from Skin Biology or from Gin Amber- individual needles instead of a metal roller wheel in the contraption. Controlled wounding is good if you know how to do it, and horrible if done the wrong way. Derma rollers are disposable and should be tossed after a few uses. They also should be soaked in isopropyl alcohol prior to use, not mouthwash or windex or anything else. I like to apply a copper serum only after that. Its important to listen to your skin and treat it gently, it is the largest organ in the body, and it does tell tales. I do have a lot of scarring on my arms from the sun when I was in the Army years ago. Discolorations, photoaging, etc. I am not impressed by fancy brands, I need the science behind the product. Its why I really appreciate Skin Biology. The small batch formulations don't add filler.

Mikhail R Barson

posted Hide Post
Like vitamin C and Copper producing free radicals? So how far apart should they be used? Hey Octocrylene and Avobenzene and all the other chemical sunscreens degrade in about 2 hours and pull ROS (reactive oxygen species free radicals) into the dermal layer. They totally weaken collagen. But then so does smoking. (It also eats up your vitamin c in your body like crazy - I mean you can not cover that amount with your diet and a bag of oranges!). I always wait at least 10 min till the copper has absorbed. I read Linus Pauling's books a zillion years ago. I do not remember everything. So how far apart should I space my antioxidants and what other antioxidants is copper a no no with? I love my copper ! (Oh you folks worried about absorbing too much through your skin- it will not happen. And those people with the weird eye rings you hear about have an inherited disorder called Wilson's disease , correct me if I am wrong, but I haven't seen it but once in a human in a hospital.

Mikhail R Barson

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear Mikhail:

We appreciate and highly value your feedback!

Thanks for the tips on properly using and cleaning a microneedling device.

"Listening to your skin", as you mentioned, is crucial. We like to advise clients to let your skin tell you what it likes, and then avoid the things it seems to be saying it doesn't like.

Re: Vitamin C / Copper - We've advised in the past that 12 hours apart should be just fine. Some clients even do 24hrs apart (alternating copper peptide use), which is fine.

Dr. Pickart fondly remembers Dr. Pauling's protests against nuclear testing (when they both lived in Santa Barbara at the same time) and refers to his work often. In fact, around 1983 Pauling's group was looking at a copper peptide similar to GHK and found very promising results.

But 12 hours apart should be fine. We've since removed "hard and fast rules" on use of vitamin C and copper.

Thankfully, there is not much else that a person might want to be wary with when using copper peptides. Mainly it's been the zinc oxide and vitamin C... with the easiest solution to wait 12 hours between applications or alternate days.

Best Wishes - Please keep in touch!

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post