Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Skin exfoliation Login/Join

posted
Will a professional microdermabrasion treatment work as well as acids?

Posts: 92 | Location: U.S. | Registered: 12 September 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The general concensus that I've read thus far, if I'm understanding correctly, is no. Acids (when used correctly at the right strength and timing) will reach down deeper than microderm will go, to dissolve the "glue" that's holding dead skin cells on, thus having an effect on cell turnover, creating new, healthy skin. Microderm will only perform a fraction of this, as well as possibly whittling away some healthy, living cells you still want.
I'm not the best to answer, however....others here have far more experience at peels than I. Someone else will chime in...in the meantime, I'll try to find a thread or two.

Posts: 50 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 11 April 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hmmm...I guess the proper thing to do would have been to ask what your skin issue is. Scars ...wrinkles?
Anyway, I couldn't find much, but that doesn't mean it's not there, I'm just crappy at finding anything I can't google. Or CAN I.... Confused?
Here's one...
https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...070083605#2070083605

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

Posts: 50 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 11 April 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Raine,
I had a series of microdermabrasion treatments a few years ago and they were no better than a microdermabrasion cloth. They really were a waste of money. I am now doing acid peels and there is just no comparison. Like Mary said, the acid loosens up the skin cells and go deeper.

Posts: 665 | Location: new york | Registered: 28 June 2007Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
Microdermabrasion cloths are one of the true bargains in skin care.

But only use them lightly each time. With excessive use, you can rubs right through your skin.

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Microdermabrasion cloths are one of the true bargains in skin care.

But only use them lightly each time. With excessive use, you can rubs right through your skin.

Amen! They can be a blessing or a Nightmare. I've completely taken out some small lines. But I've also got too aggressive and it took months for the area to fully heal.

I found the Micro sponges much easier to use. With a Cloth you have the full pressure of the fingers right on the skin. You can sand too deep very easy with the cloths. I've not had issues with the Sponges since the finger pressure is much more diffuse.

I think as Kitty pointed out the Micro treatments are not very useful. My esthetician says the same. No lasting benefit just a superficial cleansing of debris and dead skin cells to give the skin a temporary smoother appearance.

Posts: 2118 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 06 February 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Maxx,

Which micro sponge that you are using? and where did you purchase it?

Posts: 57 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 January 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey Carrot Smiler

From Enchantedwaters on Ebay. Its the one that they are selling currently for $7.85 with free shipping.

Type: Terry Weave Microdermabrasion Sponge into the ebay search engine and it will take you right to it.

posted Hide Post
Thank you, Maxx.

Posts: 57 | Location: Texas | Registered: 09 January 2010Report This Post
Picture of stoney
posted Hide Post
Maxx, You are a skin-care DIVA!... Love...Thanks for sharing your find!

Posts: 2846 | Location: Maine | Registered: 30 March 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maxx, You are a skin-care DIVA!...

I would have preferred to buy from some place with a more masculine name....say Skin Commando's....but it was Enchantedwaters...sigh!

posted Hide Post
I would have preferred to buy from some place with a more masculine name....say Skin Commando's....but it was Enchantedwaters...sigh![/QUOTE]

This brings up another great thing about Skin Biology--for us men, there's no feminine terminology on the site and the products don't have girly colors. I admit that I have peeled off pink labels on a moisturizer in the past. Big Grin

Posts: 40 | Location: Denton | Registered: 18 June 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Maxx what would you recommend as a mild hydroxy acid?

Posts: 237 | Location: Nashua NH | Registered: 07 March 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I admit that I have peeled off pink labels on a moisturizer in the past. Big Grin

TW that is too funny. The only SB product that has a Feminine label is the Foot Cream. I bought that to get my order over $100. Saw the label and thought oh no thats got to go. Peeled that puppy right off Smiler

http://store.reverseskinaging....asp?ProductCode=1600

Hi Patrice. I'm not exactly sure what you are asking. The SB acids of course are all great.

One solid but mild step up would be the Diane Yvonne 5% Sal, Derma Solutions 20% Lactic or ASDM Beverly Hills 10% Glyclolic. The last two are available on ebay.

Isn't it about time for that Bike ride? Have your ID handy Smiler

posted Hide Post
So MAXX - Are you using the footcream?

Posts: 81 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 15 May 2010Report This Post
Picture of stoney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaxxC:
quote:

I would have preferred to buy from some place with a more masculine name....say Skin Commando's....but it was Enchantedwaters...sigh!

No big deal since they offered either Pink or Blue... Smiler

I got a good deal on a 3 pack (2 blues/1 pink)which is great, so I can use the pink one my body & the blue on my face.

I tried it out (water only as suggested) & love the way it feels. It can be controlled easier than the cloth, like Maxx states. The sponge gives it a buffer... I plan on using mine twice a week even though it is recommended once every 7 to 10 days. My skin can handle it even though I use be the "Skin Commando BLUE" - now what does that tell you about my face?... Confused?

Picture of stoney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoney:
quote:
Originally posted by MaxxC:
quote:

No big deal since they offered either Pink or Blue... Smiler

I got a good deal on a 3 pack (2 blues/1 pink)which is great, so I can use the pink one my body & the blue on my face.

I tried it out (water only as suggested) & love the way it feels. It can be controlled easier than the cloth, like Maxx states. The sponge gives it a buffer... I plan on using mine twice a week even though it is recommended once every 7 to 10 days. My skin can handle it even though I use the "Skin Commando BLUE" - now what does that tell you about my face?... Confused?