Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Argan oil Login/Join

posted
Hello all Smiler

I'm curious to know if anyone here on the forum has ever used Argan oil. I've done a little research on the internet about it, but IMHO, it doesn't appear to be any better than squalane, Celes, or Emu oil. Seems to almost be the new fad, being that lots of cosmetic lines are bottling their own Argan oil.

Personally, I love squalane and Celes oil, so I stick with it, but am curious to know more about Argan oil (other than reading internet info) from real people who've used Argan oil.

All feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

Posts: 140 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 September 2011Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
Argan oil can induce anaphylaxis. This is an acute and often fatal allergic response.

It also can damage heart tissue.

Allergy. 2009 Oct 15. [Epub ahead of print]
Anaphylaxis to argan oil.
Astier C, Benchad YE, Moneret-Vautrin DA, Bihain BE, Kanny G.

Therapie. 2002 May-Jun;57(3):246-52.
[The effect of argan oil on heart function during ischemia and reperfusion]
Benajiba N, Morel S, De Leiris J, Boucher F, Charrouf Z, Mokhtar N, Aguenaou H.
Laboratoire de Nutrition et Alimentation, Faculté des Sciences, Université Ibn Tofail, Kénitra, Maroc.

The aim of this study was to evaluate the effect of organ oil on isolated heart function before and after ischemia and on the activity of cardiac antioxidant enzymes. 16 Wistar rats were divided into 2 groups; control group and treated group receiving 5 mL/kg/day of argan oil. After 8 weeks of treatment, hearts were perfused and subjected to a global ischemia followed by reperfusion. Activity of cardiac antioxidant enzymes was assessed in freeze-clamped hearts at the end of reperfusion. Results showed that argan oil induces: 1--damage to heart function during the preischemic period, 2--decreased functional recovery during reperfusion and 3--significant increase in catalase activity. It seems that, in our experimental conditions, organ oil increases heart sensitivity to ischemia and reperfusion. However, the mechanism involved has yet to be understood.

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you, Dr. Pickart!

I greatly appreciate you taking the time to respond with such detail. This information makes me cringe, thinking of all the people out there who are using Argan oil, or contemplating whether or not to buy it, and do not know the possible side effects. Personally, I didn't think of Argan oil as a threat, being that it's a naturally occuring oil, and many people seem to love it; However, just because its naturally occuring, doesn't always mean its harmless.

Thanks again, Dr. Pickart. Your Squalane and Celes oil are keepers for life Smiler

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

Posts: 140 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 12 September 2011Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hello Guys i purchased argan oil and considered what it does for hair. Does it do hair become thick,what its impact on hair like increasing length?Any help would be valued. Thanks guys!!

Posts: 5 | Location: usa | Registered: 27 November 2012Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
Argan oil can induce anaphylaxis. This is an acute and often fatal allergic response.

I cannot see why anyone would use this oil.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I made a mistake once to use argan oil on my face after dermarolling, not the same day but on the second or third day. My face became red, itchy and has swollen to twice its size. It took about two weeks to become normal again. That was really an experience I could do without. The hype about argan oil is really just that - a hype. I would never recommend it to anyone.

Posts: 4 | Location: - | Registered: 06 August 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I have quite a bit of history using Argan oil. My results have been mixed but I have isolated what works for me and what doesn't. I haven't experienced any side effects with pure argan oil. I have experienced bad side effects with argan oil infused products that contain loads of chemicals. So just makes sure to use a I have several friends who also use this oil and have done a lot of research, and I'm not worried about anaphylaxis. Dr. Pickart, what percent of people will get a anaphylaxis reaction. Then what percent of those people will die from it?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBioTeam,

Posts: 8 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 11 February 2016Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
On Google search "argan oil irritation".

The first three Search Results

Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face - BeautyTalk
community.sephora.com/t5/Natural...of...Argan-Oil.../459027

Sephora
Mar 22, 2013 - When this post was written, they were pushing Argan Oil non stop & I got a little ... After about 5 days of nighttime use, I started noticing a rash ...
Does Argan Oil make you break out? - BeautyTalk
community.sephora.com/t5/Combo.../Does-Argan-Oil.../true
Sephora
Feb 19, 2013 - I normally have combo/oily acne prone skin and I can't use Josie Maran's Argan Oil. It REALLY dried out and irritated my skin. It didn't absorb ...

Argan Oil — The Dermatology Review
www.thedermreview.com/argan-oil/
Argan oil for face treatments that are available in a 100% pure form in stores ... how your body reacts, as some people may develop an allergic reaction to the oil.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Pickart:
On Google search "argan oil irritation".

The first three Search Results

Dangers of Josie Maran Argan Oil on Face - BeautyTalk
community.sephora.com/t5/Natural...of...Argan-Oil.../459027

Sephora
Mar 22, 2013 - When this post was written, they were pushing Argan Oil non stop & I got a little ... After about 5 days of nighttime use, I started noticing a rash ...
Does Argan Oil make you break out? - BeautyTalk
community.sephora.com/t5/Combo.../Does-Argan-Oil.../true
Sephora
Feb 19, 2013 - I normally have combo/oily acne prone skin and I can't use Josie Maran's Argan Oil. It REALLY dried out and irritated my skin. It didn't absorb ...

Argan Oil — The Dermatology Review
www.thedermreview.com/argan-oil/
Argan oil for face treatments that are available in a 100% pure form in stores ... how your body reacts, as some people may develop an allergic reaction to the oil.

dr.Pickart if You look on paper with dermatitis after argan oil you can see the same situation as sensitizer with olive oil, 4 publications that they mention even more then for argan! also they conclude that argan is similar by containing squalane , oleinic/linoleic acids and etc. to olive oil.
some articles even say that moroccans used it for hundreds years per os and skin/hair application.
as i understand benefit ingredients in argan is the same as in emu oil or as olive oil. so it's better to use emu oil for hair/skin which has zero sensitivity? to minimize risk? cause nowdays many women bloggers say that argan oil is great for hair.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,

Posts: 44 | Location: Moscow, Russian Federation | Registered: 06 August 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
and what's your opinion about coconut oil for hair loss/skin rosacea? is it used in Skin Biology products?

Posts: 44 | Location: Moscow, Russian Federation | Registered: 06 August 2016Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
I have no idea.

Picture of Emma Clark
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pinkdervish:
Hello all Smiler

I'm curious to know if anyone here on the forum has ever used Argan oil. I've done a little research on the internet about it, but IMHO, it doesn't appear to be any better than squalane, Celes, or Emu oil. Seems to almost be the new fad, being that lots of cosmetic lines are bottling their own Argan oil.

Personally, I love squalane and Celes oil, so I stick with it, but am curious to know more about Argan oil (other than reading internet info) from real people who've used Argan oil.

All feedback is welcome.

Thanks!

Argan oil is also known as "Liquid Gold". I have use organic Argan oil for face for past few months. It is really good. I use this oil for hair and as a skin moisturizer. My hair growth and shines. It removes acne and my dry skin becomes soft.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,

Posts: 1 | Location: US | Registered: 26 October 2016Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
We don't recommend Argan Oil.

Dermatitis. 2016 Oct 21. [Epub ahead of print]
Allergic Contact Dermatitis Caused by Argan Oil.
Veraldi S1, Mascagni P, Tosi D, Brena M.

Contact Dermatitis. 2014 Nov;71(5):316-7. doi: 10.1111/cod.12292.
Allergic contact dermatitis caused by argan oil in an infant.
Barrientos N1, Moreno de Vega M, Dominguez J.

Astier, C., et al. "Anaphylaxis to argan oil." Allergy 65.5 (2010): 662-663.

Foti, Caterina, et al. "Allergic contact dermatitis caused by argan oil." Contact dermatitis 71.3 (2014): 183-4.