Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Natural homemade deodorant Login/Join

Picture of Rossana
posted
I would like to make my own deodorant, I need a very mild one because my sweat is usually pretty much odorless and I want to stay away from commercial products which often contain Aluminum.

I read recipes that would combine
- Baking Soda
- Corn Starch
- Tea Tree
- Coconut oil (I would replace this with squalane or emu)
Then maybe I would like to add an essential oil or fragrance oil to this mix.

My question is: is it ok (healthy) to put a mix like this on the skin and could it be effective?

Many thanks in advance for any opinion! Smiler

Life is too short to remove USB safely!

Posts: 474 | Location: Eden Prairie (MN) | Registered: 07 February 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Rossana, I have used several natural products that contained those ingredients - they worked ok and didn't cause me any irritation. If anything you may find them a little expensive.

I switched to natural deodorants to avoid the aluminum and because antiperspirants aggravate my breakout prone skin. After trying everything I had great success with Crystal body deodorant, and some success with Lavilin cream.

The crystal "salt rock" runs about $7 - and I'm still using the same one for just over 2 years now.

Good luck, Kes

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

Posts: 15 | Location: California | Registered: 16 December 2010Report This Post
Picture of Rossana
posted Hide Post
Many thanks for the helpful reply Kes!
I had never heard about those, I will try to find them

Posts: 474 | Location: Eden Prairie (MN) | Registered: 07 February 2010Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rossana:
I would like to make my own deodorant, I need a very mild one because my sweat is usually pretty much odorless and I want to stay away from commercial products which often contain Aluminum.

I read recipes that would combine
- Baking Soda
- Corn Starch
- Tea Tree
- Coconut oil (I would replace this with squalane or emu)
Then maybe I would like to add an essential oil or fragrance oil to this mix.

My question is: is it ok (healthy) to put a mix like this on the skin and could it be effective?

Many thanks in advance for any opinion! Smiler

It should be healthy! You could add some sugar and water, stir, then bake at 350 F for about 10 minutes and get cornbread.

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
Picture of Rossana
posted Hide Post
LOLLLLLL haha thats true that should be tasty Big Grin Laughing

posted Hide Post
what about for people that have problems with odor? I bought the rock crystals but it fails after couple of hours. then i tried a couple more natural deodorant and they also fail. arm and hammer works best, but I have to keep re-applying after every couple of hours. Although after a workout, it will also fail. I'm guessing aluminum containing deodorant works better at fighting odor? Any recommendations on any natural works that works just as well as the prescription deodorant?

Posts: 46 | Location: indianapolis | Registered: 04 August 2010Report This Post
Picture of Rossana
posted Hide Post
KimLei, maybe you are overwashing and using aggressive soaps, which strip away your acidic mantle and thus create a favorable environment for bacteria?
I read the genetics also matters a lot in determining what kind of bacteria are prevalent on our skin so it might not be a solution.. But you could measure the ph of your skin with ph strips. If it is too alkaline (>5.5) then I think you may try with neutral soaps and less washing so that your skin can be naturally acidic and naturally create a hostile environment for bacteria