Skin Biology    healthyskin.infopop.cc    SKIN BIOLOGY OFFICIAL CHAT FORUM | Free Skin Consultation 1-800-405-1912  Hop To Forum Categories  Products  Hop To Forums  Skin    25 years old and I've ruined my skin. Please help!

Moderators: Rosy

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
25 years old and I've ruined my skin. Please help! Login/Join

posted
25 year old Asian female. Biggest issues: huge pores, some shallow/pitted scarring, discoloration and hyperpigmentation.

My skin problems have spanned 7 years so I'll try be brief. I used to have perfect skin until around when I went away to college at 18. Because I was used to having perfect skin, I freaked out at the breakouts that I started getting and picked at my skin. This only caused it to get worse and I started using face makeup for the first time (Bare Minerals). Unfortunately, the bismuth in Bare Minerals caused a reaction and caused me to break out even more. I kept picking at my skin, which caused more breakouts, and I must have used every kind of treatment imaginable (benzoyl peroxide, lactic acid peels, salicylic acid peels, TCA peels, sulphur, etc.)

After a couple years, I got the breakouts under control but my skin tone and texture has never been the same. What's especially bad is when I tried Retin-A, it thinned my skin so that when I picked at my skin it caused actual scarring (mostly ice pick, some shallow scars). Also, I've always been a sun worshipper so I also have sun damage from that as well.

Anyway, fast forward to today and I'm now 25. I have to wear makeup everyday because I am way to self conscious about my skin to leave my house without it. Even though I don't really have much active breakouts anymore, the damage I've caused to my skin is a constant source of insecurity and depression.

A few months ago I went to a dermatologist who suggested I try Obgai Nu Derm. I was apprehensive due to my last experience with Retin-A, but I gave it a shot. I've noticed now that my skin hasn't really improved and if anything, my pores seem even larger. What's weird is that my skin is extremely soft and smooth when I touch it, but when looking at it, it appears very rough. The texture looks horrible, each of my pores look like ice picks, and I hate looking at myself. I thought Retin-A was supposed to make my skin tighter and my pores smaller.

I finally started researched online the other day and found out that in some people, over exfoliation and thinning of the epidermis can actually make pores look worse and also damage your skin's acid mantle. Which brings me here. I'm hoping there's a possibility that I can improve my skin because it depresses me so much to see myself and hate my skin, and I'm only 25!

I've attached pictures that really show the problem. I'm wearing mineral makeup in them, which really accentuates the huge pores and the rough appearance of my skin texture. As you can see, in addition to the pores, I have a bunch of ice pick scars. I'd really appreciate any help and specific treatment suggestions.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

Posts: 4 | Location: USA | Registered: 25 March 2013Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Another pictures attached.

posted Hide Post
Kna get rid of the mineral makeup. If it's making your pores more pronounced why do you want to do that. I'm sure you'll be getting good advice from SB and messagers, but my basic suggestion would be to let your skin REST! drink lots of water, take probiotics; vitamin c 1000MG, MSM 1 gram and krill oil. I swear by that regimen.

Posts: 237 | Location: Nashua NH | Registered: 07 March 2010Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
I agree with the above advice

"my basic suggestion would be to let your skin REST! drink lots of water, take probiotics; vitamin c 1000MG, MSM 1 gram and krill oil."

But also add in 5 grams of flaxseed oil each day.

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
thanks Dr. P. I was not aware of flaxseed oil. What and how does that contribute to the regimen of C, MSM and krill?

Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
There was a good study in Europe and Australia that tested both Flaxseed Oil and Borage Oil on skin quality in women. Both fats improved skin quality but flaxseed was the best.

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replies. My pores/skin texture look bad no matter what kind of makeup I use, and I've tried many kinds of liquids and powder. What is so confusing to me is how my skin FEELS extremely smooth and soft, but LOOKS so rough and cratery.

Also, I've stopped using the Obagi (Retin-A and hydroquinone) about a week ago and plan on just trying to give my skin a break and strengthen its barrier. As for my diet, I eat pretty healthy. Not a lot of meat, no gluten, and lots of greens, vegetables, fruits, etc. I drink lots of water and rooibos tea.

I take probiotics twice a day, a multivitamin, and just started drinking hemp oil, which I heard is better than flaxseed.

Dr. P- Can you recommend specifically what SB products/regimen I should use to improve my skin? And perhaps more importantly, do you believe it's even possible for me to get my skin looking good again?

Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
Hydroquinone stops skin repair.

From http://envymedical.wordpress.c...quinone-in-skincare/

This is an eye opening look into the side effects and irreversible skin damage resulting from the use of ingredients commonly found in skin lightening products such as mercury and hydroquinone (also called “HQ”). In fact the report notes that “Although hydroquinone is one of the most effective and popular skin lightening compounds, it has been shown to cause multiple cutaneous and systemic side effects”. Yes, hydroquinone is definitely widespread in its use, and it is also definitely toxic to skin cells. What this report illuminates is the diversity and severity of the conditions that it can cause.

Among the side effects associated with HQ the report notes that “irritant contact reddness” occurs in about 70% of the patients who use HQ products. However this apparently is just the tip of the iceberg, as the report lists a variety of other problems brought on by HQ including hypo-pigmentation (permanently lightened spots or patches on the skin) and allergic contact irritation.

posted Hide Post
Hiya! Just wanted to say that I came here with similar problems and after "resting" my skin for extended periods of time and just using super cop serum and the oils lightly my pores have closed up quite a bit. They seem healthier. Hang in there a lot of us know how you feel. Not fun.

Posts: 29 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 15 February 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Is mineral makeup bad for the skin? I've worn Youngblood Mineral Makeup for years, what is the best foundation for 50+?
quote:
Originally posted by kna:
Another pictures attached.

Posts: 4 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: 09 December 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Why do you need foundation anyway. Good skincare regimen, moisturizer with squalane, day cover and a little blush once everything has settled in and you should look fantastic. Also after the blush spritz a little rosewater on your face and you get that dewy look. I counsel all my clients middle-age and beyond, look as natural as possible with good skin care, blush, light mascara if you really want it, light brow pencil and you're all set to go. CPs help us oldies big time.

posted Hide Post
My complexion is not one I will go out in public without some coverage, I have too many scars and age spots. In time maybe, but definitely not at this time. I just wanted to know if mineral makeup was not good.

quote:
Originally posted by patrice:
Why do you need foundation anyway. Good skincare regimen, moisturizer with squalane, day cover and a little blush once everything has settled in and you should look fantastic. Also after the blush spritz a little rosewater on your face and you get that dewy look. I counsel all my clients middle-age and beyond, look as natural as possible with good skin care, blush, light mascara if you really want it, light brow pencil and you're all set to go. CPs help us oldies big time.

Posts: 4 | Location: Kansas City | Registered: 09 December 2007Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Dr. Pickard,
I have stopped using Retin-A, hydroquinone, and any scrubs. I now want to focus on rejuvenating and nurturing my skin back to health.

I just want to know, in your professional opinion, if my skin has been pretty much permanently damaged OR if there's hope to get it back to looking good.

Along that note, do you recommend any particular Skin Biology products? I was planning on getting a copper peptide product, an exfoliating product, and possibly the emu moisturizer. Would love to hear if you think that's a good idea, and if so, which products would be best for me.

Thanks again,

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Skin Biology,

posted Hide Post
Hi again. I have the same skin as you and have been using cps for a while. My pores appear smaller but the texture has not improved. I started using cps last spring. My texture has really only gotten worse but I am quite a bit older.then you.I used a lot of the same products, ra, tca and such. I had good skin prior as well. I'm not sure anything will help my skin as far as texture goes.

Posts: 29 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 15 February 2012Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kna:
Dr. Pickard,
I have stopped using Retin-A, hydroquinone, and any scrubs. I now want to focus on rejuvenating and nurturing my skin back to health.

I just want to know, in your professional opinion, if my skin has been pretty much permanently damaged OR if there's hope to get it back to looking good.

Along that note, do you recommend any particular Skin Biology products? I was planning on getting a copper peptide product, an exfoliating product, and possibly the emu moisturizer. Would love to hear if you think that's a good idea, and if so, which products would be best for me.

Thanks again,

Start with Skin Signals Cream lightly. Also use a light amount of Emu Oil on drier skin areas.

At night, use LacSal cream lightly.

Also take a multivitamin/multimineral capsule, 2 grams MSM, 1 grams vitamin C, and 5 grams (1 teaspoon) of flaxseed oil daily

posted Hide Post
I see its been a years since you asked for advice. Has your skin got any better since then?

Angela Simmons

Posts: 2 | Location: Killeen | Registered: 05 December 2015Report This Post
posted Hide Post
eating more fruit is always going to be good. Try substituting your current breakfast with a 10 banana smoothie.

Posts: 8 | Location: Seattle | Registered: 11 February 2016Report This Post
posted Hide Post
this happened to me as well and i helped it with manuka honey & Emu oil. what you need to do is cut out any foods that dehydrate the skin. no coffee, alcohol or sugar. drink lots of water. every morning and and knight put manuka honey on your facefor 30 min then wash it of with warm water and steam your face by putting warm washcloth on your face for 2 min. then while your face is still damp ad emu oil to skin. once you put the emu oil on you need to seal in the moister with either vasalene or aquaphor that will keep all the moister from the emu oil from leaving the skin. do this deep moistening at night because your pores upon up while you sleep and this will help the emu oil go deep into the skin.i damaged my skin a year ago and for 12 months i didn't see any improvement. i started doing this last week and i see a huge difference! Good Luck to you. also while you lay down to go to sleep do a quick little meditation and visualize your face healing. you have the power to create your reality

Angela Simmons

Posts: 2 | Location: Killeen | Registered: 05 December 2015Report This Post