Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
fine lines criss-crossing face?? Login/Join

posted
I'm in my mid-20's and I've been using Protect and Restore for about a year. I started using Super CP Serum occasionally about eight or nine months ago.

My initial results with P&R were great: my skin was smooth, soft, healthy-looking and dewy. I don't have any scars or anything, but I've always had various issues. I used to have overly sensitive skin that always seemed irritated, never looked especially healthy, just kind of dull. Those conditions pretty much reversed completely. When I added Super CP serum the results were even better.

The problem is that, about six months ago or so, I started noticing very fine lines criss-crossing my entire face. I was alarmed but figured it was just crepiness, damage pushing up, etc. I tried backing off on CPs and waited for it to pass. However, after not seeing a change in six months I'm starting to wonder if maybe I am wrong? What is causing this and what can I do about it?

Posts: 13 | Location: Earth | Registered: 30 May 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you doing for exfoliation?

Posts: 2118 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 06 February 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaxxC:
What are you doing for exfoliation?

I use Exfol Cream once or twice a week at night. I was using it every night for a while but I had some ill effects (irritation, etc.) so I cut back until I found a good balance. I also use an exfoliating scrub (Biore Microderm Scrub) once a week and that always has a good effect.

Also, in case it makes a difference, I exercise every day, drink lots of water, eat a healthy diet, take a daily multivitamin, etc. And, I don't smoke. I started taking the MSM/Vitamin C supplment combo Dr. Pickart recommends about a month ago in case that might help.

posted Hide Post
Super CP will push up damage. Chances are it is damage being pushed up.

Personally I believe the SB acids are good for removing dead skin cells and helping the skin to turn over faster, to expedite the remodeling process. But not strong enough to remove buried damage, that is pushed to the surface.

In your case, since its been 6 months it dosen't look to me like the Exfol is strong enough to remove the damage.

You may want to look into a stronger from of exfoliation. Probably something along the lines of a 20-30% lactic. Very safe, no down time, start slow with no more then 5 minutes on the face then work up in duration from there.

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear littlealgae:

Thank you for posting - You'll also find helpful tips at:
Tips on How to Use SRCPs Properly

Knowing a bit more about your "skin story" or history would be helpful in ascertaining what kind of damage these criss-cross lines may be. What was the reason you started using the products? Scars? Laser damage? Sun damage?

This will help us to determine why its manifesting itself the way that it is.

In the meantime, you may want to research what Max mentions about using a stronger method of exfoliation. This is very important. You will need to effectively break down what has been pushed up.

You may want to add a method of manual abrasion as you look into stronger hydroxys.

But continue with the Super CP Serum for now. Use lightly; you may want to work up to twice a day applications. But be careful not to overuse.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Super CP will push up damage. Chances are it is damage being pushed up.

Personally I believe the SB acids are good for removing dead skin cells and helping the skin to turn over faster, to expedite the remodeling process. But not strong enough to remove buried damage, that is pushed to the surface.

In your case, since its been 6 months it dosen't look to me like the Exfol is strong enough to remove the damage.

You may want to look into a stronger from of exfoliation. Probably something along the lines of a 20-30% lactic. Very safe, no down time, start slow with no more then 5 minutes on the face then work up in duration from there.

I don't know...I have a lot of trepidation about using a stronger acid. Is it really very safe? Like I said, my skin is very sensitive and also very, very fair (practically snow white).

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
FYI: Some with very sensitive skin opt for manual methods of exfoliation (such as a microdermabrasion cloth) since they can determine how soft or aggressive to be in certain skin areas.

Others with more sensitive skin, but who wish to work up to stronger acids although they're a little hesitant, have done really well with lactic acid. Starting with only 20 percent.

The skin seems to respond very well to the lactic peels.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

Posts: 4865 | Location: Skin Biology in Bellevue, Washington - USA | Registered: 22 June 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skin Biology:
Dear littlealgae:

Thank you for posting - You'll also find helpful tips at:
Tips on How to Use SRCPs Properly
Skin Remodeling: What to Expect and When to Expect It

Knowing a bit more about your "skin story" or history would be helpful in ascertaining what kind of damage these criss-cross lines may be. What was the reason you started using the products? Scars? Laser damage? Sun damage?

This will help us to determine why its manifesting itself the way that it is.

In the meantime, you may want to research what Max mentions about using a stronger method of exfoliation. This is very important. You will need to effectively break down what has been pushed up.

You may want to add a method of manual abrasion as you look into stronger hydroxys.

But continue with the Super CP Serum for now. Use lightly; you may want to work up to twice a day applications. But be careful not to overuse.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

To answer questions posed here about my "skin history", I don't have clogged pores, laser damage or scars. I started using it because my skin was dull, lifeless and overly sensitive, and I just wanted healthy, glowing skin that didn't feel irritated all the time. As far as that goes, it worked.

I have very fair, pale skin and avoided the sun for most of my life (though unfortunately I also used a chemical sunscreen throughout my adolescence and early adulthood). I used Retin-A for a while for breakouts when I was a teenager. I also briefly used prescription benzoyl peroxide cream when I was probably 12 or so (I mention this because my mind goes back to Stoney's bp issues).

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SkinBiologyWebmaster,

posted Hide Post
Would Lactic Power 10 work any better than Exfol?

posted Hide Post
Or what about Diana Yvonne's 15% fruit acid?

Picture of Skin Biology
posted Hide Post
Dear littlealgae:

Yes, Lactic Power 10 is stronger (at 10% lactic acid) than the 2% Exfol Cream (although 10% is actually mild for a hydroxy - definitely not considered a peel).

When asked how he would compare a fruit acid with a lactic acid, Dr. Pickart said "A fruit acid will have a variety of acids and generally will be weaker than lactic acid." - See: https://healthyskin.infopop.cc/...340038884#5340038884

For your skin type, since you had an issue with Exfol Cream, you may want to try a light serum that is stronger rather than a cream (just in case there was something about the cream formulation that your sensitive skin might do better without).

LacSal Serum is perfect for this. It also is 10% hydroxy acid mix of lactic and salicylic. But you can apply it on a face that is already damp thereby easing your way into a little bit stronger acids.

Best Wishes,
-Skin Biology

posted Hide Post
LA. I really would not use Glycolic with Fair Skin and the Fruit Acid contains some Glycolic.

Since your already at Dianne Yvonne. I'll make a specific first step recommendation. The Dianne Yvonne 5% Salicylic. Which I've used myself.

Salicylic acid is several times stronger then the equivalent strengths in Glycolic and Lactic. At the same pH a 2% Sal would be about the same as a 8-10% in Glycolic and Lactic.

Exfol is 2% at a pH of about 3.5 and the DY 5% has a pH of 1.9. So its a good first step. You may feel a little sting on application but that should be about it. No downtime. Skin will look totally normal by the next morning. Just follow the directions and go slow. You can work up to several times per week application with that particular acid.

Try it see what happens and then if you need more help, you know where to come Smiler

posted Hide Post
Okay, cool! Thanks very much for the advice, both MaxxC and SkinBiology!

posted Hide Post
Fair Skin on Women looks great. Many women work on getting tans but the majority of guys I know love fair skin on women.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Fair Skin on Women looks great. Many women work on getting tans but the majority of guys I know love fair skin on women.

Glad that you think so, MaxxC! I myself have always been proud of my alabaster complexion. Big Grin

posted Hide Post
You can get lines from the way you sleep. I don't think it's unusual for some people to start getting lines in their mid-twenties. The only thing that kept my lines at bay was retin-a .1 which I used for many years. The only problem is that you have to stay out of the sun and if you stop using it, the lines start to return. Sometimes they come anyway. Part of being alive.

Posts: 393 | Location: Poughkeepsie | Registered: 19 September 2008Report This Post
Picture of oskyz
posted Hide Post
Interesting comment Littlealgae,

I am super fair also, but people always used to tell me to 'get some color!' (including my mom)

I used to be fair but a bit ruddier before CPs. For me, CPs getting rid of the ruddiness made a huge difference, finally my fair skin now looks healthy and glowing instead of pale. (except right after needling of course).

e.g. for me I think the issue wasn't the super fair color, but the tone.

Even my white legs look better to me now (all my skin work there also), but I still haven't 'embraced' my ultra white skin there. White legs in California just doesn't seem to be in style. Especially California of so many races and mixed races with such gorgeous natural coloring. I have a pre-bias that legs look more toned with some color. Though I agree with Maxx that tanning can make the skin look 'off'. Well at least deep tanning. Just a touch of sun can look fine.

I always figure that nature gave each of us the coloring that works best for our look. So I work to find beautiful models that have my coloring to help me embrace my own look.

Posts: 559 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 October 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I always figure that nature gave each of us the coloring that works best for our look.

Oskyz,
I have always believed that and I don't understand why fair skinned Caucasians want a tan. I have never liked the look of brown skin with light eyes and/or light hair. The important thing is to keep the skin even-toned and glowing without any blemishes, redness or hyper/hypo pigmentation.

If you have ever seen photos of African albinos, who have pale skin, blond hair and light eyes, they look weird to me. The pale skin, hair and eyes just does not fit well with their undiluted African hair texture and facial features.

Posts: 665 | Location: new york | Registered: 28 June 2007Report This Post
Picture of oskyz
posted Hide Post
Hi NiceKitty,

There is a lot of pressure, and I have sun damage on my decolletage area (the hypo/hyper section) from trying to meet that 'ideal' as a teen. (I burn, not tan, and fortunately retinA on my face kept me from trying after my teens).

At least my awful bleach job from my attempt to be a blonde in my 20's grew out long ago. I lasted 6 months, ha. Still, was an interesting experience.

Never even knew of African albinos, so I googled it. Does take some getting used to.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: oskyz,

Posts: 559 | Location: USA | Registered: 20 October 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you have ever seen photos of African albinos, who have pale skin, blond hair and light eyes, they look weird to me. The pale skin, hair and eyes just does not fit well with their undiluted African hair texture and facial features.

Thats interesting. We have a gentleman in the town that I live in that is an African Albino. I don't know him personally. I didn't really think his appearance any stranger then a Caucasian albino. He goes to quite a few sporting events around town and after seeing him a time or two you really don't pay any attention.

His skin is very pale but not as pale as a Caucasian albino. Hair looks like it is bleached out and eyes look pale washed out color.

That didn't add anything but I'm sure most have never seen and African Albino up close.

Ok I just checked images under African Albino. The pictures look stranger then it does in real life.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MaxxC,