Skin Biology    healthyskin.infopop.cc    SKIN BIOLOGY OFFICIAL CHAT FORUM | Free Skin Consultation 1-800-405-1912  Hop To Forum Categories  Products  Hop To Forums  Skin    Mashed pineapple and lemon as a home peel

Moderators: Rosy

Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Mashed pineapple and lemon as a home peel Login/Join

posted
Ok, so there I was, standing in the kitchen after having pulled my stash of 88% lactic acid out of the fridge getting ready to mix up a small batch of 44% (or 2.99999%...I hadn't decided), not really wanting to since my last few attempts did nothing but sting like Hades for three minutes with nothing but a bit of redness afterwards to show for my pain. I don't have any major damage that I know of, but my crepey cheeks get me down...when I pull the skin back a little bit they kind of open up like a strip of crepe paper or an accordion, revealing what resembles pock marked skin with the tiny folds of the skin (the part that makes up the surface of the unstretched skin) visible between the pock marks, which MIGHT be what they are...I've been on CPs for a year and it might be buried damage coming up, or it may have been there all along with me not scrutinizing my skin like I have been this last year and a half. Anyway I wanted to kick it up a notch with the cheeks so I was gonna bite the bullet with the lactic when I noticed a fresh pineapple sitting there. "Why not?" I asked myself, so I cubed up about half a cup of pineapple and threw it into a blender with a half a lemon, no skin. After washing my face (generic Cetaphil) and wiping down with a Stridex pad, I smeared the goo on. I think I left it on for about half-hour, re-wetting it once halfway through with more goo, rubbing with medium pressure on cheeks, forehead (11's), above the lip and on the chin. Rinsed well, thought "Hey, life's short..." and put more on for another 15 minutes. Rinsed, held a moist, hot towel to my face for a bit and applied some extra virgin coconut oil, topped off with pure vitamin E oil, then went to bed.
I gotta tell ya, I LOVE what I woke up to. My skin seemed plump and moist, cheeks pink Embarrased...I'm sure the pink is from the irritation but it was in just the right spots, y'know, on the apples. Soft as a baby's patoot. I also found several pores with "junk" inside peeking at me just waiting for liberation...another day or two and they'll be out. Sorry for the graphix, but I'm sure you all know what I mean.

Does anyone know why I shouldn't do this on a regular schedule? Maybe twice a week or so? There was no pain, plus it TASTED so darn good....tasted any good lactic peels lately??

I've read that a peel can temporarily plump skin due to a water holding effect, which could be why, for the first time in a long time, I didn't wake up to grandma cheeks. My previous lactic peels, however, didn't have this impressive effect. I also read on another thread (Stoney, I think it was you) that the enzyme in pineapple (Bromelaid, is it?)will not only dissolve proteins, but also collagen...is this something that I should consider an issue, since collagen is what I'm trying so hard to re-gain? I hope not....

Does anyone wish to venture a guess as to the acid percentage of mashed pineapple and lemon? Just curious...

Well, I hope I recieve no crushing news, because it's been a whole day now and I'm still LOVIN' it....I keep looking in the mirror and stroking my skin and going, "OOOOOHHH"... Love

Posts: 50 | Location: Midwest USA | Registered: 11 April 2010Report This Post
Picture of stoney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaryBailey:
Well, I hope I recieve no crushing news, because it's been a whole day now and I'm still LOVIN' it....I keep looking in the mirror and stroking my skin and going, "OOOOOHHH"... Love

MaryB, Your natural enzyme peel sounds like a similar recipe to my Easter Pineapple/Lemon Sheet... Big Grin

Your effect reminds my of my 1st Sour Cream Peel when I was about 14. I turned bright pink which lasted for the better part of the day. I remember trying to avoid my Mother since I thought it was permanent... Red Face...but once it subsided (the next day) my skin was smooth & soft as could be.

Sounds like your skin was overdue for a good exofoliation treatment. The enzymes smoothed the surface by removing dead skin. They will not touch scar tissue though which is a form of improperly formed collagen. So, NO I do not think the strength of your Pineapple Peel would touch collagen of any sort - it merely sloughed off dead surface tissue giving new escape routes for any traps while smoothing & brightening.

No reason you can't do this on a regular basis to keep the dead cells turning over...so NO crushing blow - only to the pineapple!... Smiler

Posts: 2846 | Location: Maine | Registered: 30 March 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Stoney, I'm glad to have heard from you. So, I can rest assured that this falls under the category of a peel, and as long as I'm comfortable with it and experience no negative side-effects, it's strong enough to satisfy the recommendation for acid treatments needed for faster remodeling?

By your response, I assume that the collagen that's attacked (loosened, destroyed, dissolved, I forgot the word) by the enzyme in question is scar collagen? Or is it not? Comparing the info in this thread against the other one where bromelaid (is that what it's called?) seems to bring up a contradiction; not that it's really an issue with me as I don't have major scarring issues on my face to deal with. I just wanted to know what I'm dealing with here that I'm putting on my face. I'm certainly not trying to put "the burden of proof on you", as it were, but that thread was the only place I had heard of it, despite all my googling pineapple, acid, peel, facial, etc.

Oh...that was an ORAL enzyme suppliment, wasn't it? That's why the diff...

I'd love to hear about your Easter pineapple Lemon stuff....do tell. I'd also like to know what you did with the sour cream....I've heard of that before, do you just apply the SC straight? How long did you leave yours on, that left you so pink?

Thanks again! Big Grin

Picture of stoney
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MaryBailey:
Oh...that was an ORAL enzyme suppliment, wasn't it? That's why the diff...

Yes MaryB, that would account for the diff...

This was a discussion between Summerwave & Ophelia – my long gone "good 'ol friends" on an oral supplement that claimed to help degrade scar tissue when taken internally. It contained bromelaid from Pineapples... never heard of it before & we were investigating it. It sounded too good to be true & it was!

That is when I learned from Dr. Pickart that scar tissue is a form of Collagen Type I, but not the kind we want in our skin or try to build, obviously. It is inferior collagen that is formed when TGF-beta-1 is turned on ...it is living tissue that needs more than supplementation to degrade. Found out the dynamite works very well... Eeker...LOL!

That was 2008 - beginning of my investigative research and implementation of scar reduction. I have learned a lot through my own 'trial & error techniques' & have come a very long way since then...

On your Pineapple/Lemon Peel Big Grin, this is not considered a med or deep peel by any means. Rather a mild surface enzyme peel like a Papaya or Pumpkin Mask. Perfect for weekly use to keep the dead cell from building up on the surface...tastey too!

posted Hide Post
quote:
t contained bromelaid from Pineapples... never heard of it before & we were investigating it. It sounded too good to be true & it was!

Ladies,

I just wanted to let you know that the enzyme is "bromelain" not "bromelaid".

Posts: 665 | Location: new york | Registered: 28 June 2007Report This Post
Picture of stoney
posted Hide Post
Thanks Kitty, didn't go back to see where 'bromelaid' came from in the old post?

Yes bromelain is from Pineapple, the other may be a chemical version?

posted Hide Post
Stoney,

I have never heard of "bromelaid". The only thing that comes close is a plant called "bromeliad".

Posts: 665 | Location: new york | Registered: 28 June 2007Report This Post
Picture of stoney
posted Hide Post
Right again Kitty.... Smiler

Misspelling & misinterpretation as well!

Bromeliad - (plants from the pineapple family)

We were discussing a supplement that claimed to help with scarring. I will have to look up the old post?

I originally got very excited about the concept of the active ingred dissolving scar tissue, but what sounds too good to be true in my world, probably is.

I will look for the supplement name & reinvestigate it, because I still like the concept of something possibly dissolving the BAD collagen...I am growing weary!

Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
The use of plant enzymes to dissolve scar tissue has repeatedly been tried. But the patients often develop allergies to the enzymes.

In theory, the enzymes are a good idea, but in practice skin problems often arise with time.

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I originally got very excited about the concept of the active ingred dissolving scar tissue, but what sounds too good to be true in my world, probably is.

I will look for the supplement name & reinvestigate it, because I still like the concept of something possibly dissolving the BAD collagen...I am growing weary!

Good intuition. I checked several sources to make sure it was not a myth and its not a myth.

Pineapple workers have their fingerprints partial dissolved from the Bromelain enzyme. Its doesn't completely dissolve to the deepest levels as they basically "grow back" if one discontinues the work.

So much for selective targeting of scar tissue Smiler

Posts: 2118 | Location: Indiana | Registered: 06 February 2010Report This Post
posted Hide Post

posted Hide Post
I continually read that vitalzym breaks down dead tissues and thus reduces scar tissue, but as we all know scars on the skin are not dead but in fact living parts of us. Doesn't this mean that it wouldn't help?

Posts: 40 | Location: Irvington | Registered: 06 March 2011Report This Post
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted Hide Post
In the short term, you should not develop allergies to the enzymes.

The problem is when dealing with chronic sores is that the Debriding Enzymes can cause an allergic reaction.

Look at http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/481434

Posts: 7065 | Location: Skin Biology | Registered: 15 September 2004Report This Post