Read-Only Read-Only Topic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Dr. Pickart ..Hypothyroidism Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Dr pickart I have just been diagnosed with a thyroid problem based on blood tests. My doctor said I am borderline and will not need to be medicated and he will do follow up blood tests to moniter the situation. He said hypothroid is an auto imune disease.
Unfortunately he didn't give me any advice on self help and at the moment I feel rather powerless.
Any or all of your knowledge on this topic would be taken very seriously and be appreciated.
Thank you Tic Tac
Picture of Dr. Pickart
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
From Wikipedia

Hypothyroidism is the disease state in humans and in animals caused by insufficient production of thyroid hormone by the thyroid gland.

About three percent of the general population is hypothyroidic Factors such as iodine deficiency can increase that risk. There are a number of causes for hypothyroidism. Historically, and still in many developing countries, iodine deficiency is the most common cause of hypothyroidism worldwide.

Hypothyroidism is mostly caused by issues in the thyroid gland or a deficiency of hormones from either the hypothalamus or the pituitary.

So the tests that your physician ordered should identify the cause and future treatments.
Thank you Dr Pickart,

Is there anything that, in your valued opinion, that I should consider taking to improve my situation, my doctor told me to make sure I continue with my usual supplements ....I take colostrum for general health and I believe it helps calm an overactive imune system.
Tic Tac
hi. i have been hypothyroid since i was 11. im now 43.i take quite a bit of synthroid daily to keep it working.the thyroid effects so many things, such as fatige, weight gain and bloating, skin issues,headaches,... i could go on and on.being borderline may be more challenging than not because you will still have some symptoms but cant do anything about it.
there are suppliments that can stimulate the thyroid a bit i have been told. i have read that also. if you go to a health food store they can help you.i cant remember which ones, but there were quite a few. whether or not they have been proven to work, im not sure. the only proven thing , im sure, is the synthetic thyroid hormone.also exersise.your body is going to be sluggish, so you need to move it probably more than the average person.i know i do. and i was told to stay away from soy. if you have any questions just tell me. mabie i can help, believe me ive been through some crap with this thing. my fault,though. when i was younger i didnt want to take the meds, and oh boy.... hope this helps