Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
What do YOU do for a living?? Login/Join

posted   Report This Post  
Hi everybody!! Smiler

It always amazes me when I look on top of the forum and see how many of us are always up here during the day, and it makes me so curious what everybody does for a living? How many of you are at your desk at work, are not supposed to be on the internet.. but are peeking at Skinbio all day long..hee-hee Big Grin

Anyways...I was just curious...

So I'll start...Right now I don't have a 9-5... I quit my call center job a few months ago, and got my real estate license. I just joined a real estate company and will be starting training in a few weeks. Right now I'm just trying to read every beginner real estate book I can get my hands on to.

Sadie Smiler
posted   Hide PostReport This Post  
Hey Sadie,
I'm a grad student, teach college-level history (this semester, my classes are in the late afternoon/evening), mother of two, & am fast becoming a SkinBio/forum junkie.

Include that I'm a horrendous procrastinator into the above. See? I'm replying to your post rather than grading students' papers, which I really really have to do now - bad me Roll Eyes

Others out there? I know SkinBio set up a "get to know one another" thread somewhere, but how about a quick response to Sadie's thread? I've wondered, too, about all of us day- & night-timers.

Best,
Jana Smiler
Jana--I'm stealing time from my homework right now, too! All day, in fact. I'm supposed to be graduating in May and if I don't get on the ball it may not happen! WinkBig Grin LOL I've gone straight through from bachelor's to masters and I'm just burnt. I'm not a huge fan of being in school, although I love learning and the academic environment.

Sadie--I'm going to be a librarian (Hi Kathrynn!) and would like to work in an academic library. That's what I'm doing right now, although it's just a student position. When you see me on here it's usually because I should be doing something (like homework) that's not quite as fun. Big Grin Good luck with the real estate! I have a friend who's made quite a lot of money at it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: AmyLou,
Hi everyone. I am a customer service rep working w/retail accounts and sales reps.

Today is a slow day so I'm just checking out the forum trying to learn more about skinbio.
Renee Smiler
Picture of Kathrynn
A good excuse for me being online during the day is that I'm from Australia and its usually night when I post. Smiler
Picture of Kathrynn
Forgot to say Hi to a fellow librarian. School library here. Although Part time only as I still have some clients as a semi retired nail tech and makeup artist. My small salon is at the side of my house and we look out onto bush. In the late afternoons I can usually see a mummy kangaroo and her bub. I should take some pics one day as its very pretty
quote:
In the late afternoons I can usually see a mummy kangaroo and her bub

Hi Kathryn,
I would love to see some pictures...I would be in aw to look out the window and see kangaroos hopping by Smiler I guess it gets pretty common for you...like squirrels are over here.
I'm a primary school teacher (this year, I teach 1, 2, and 3rd grades) and I have a more flexible schedule than teachers usually have, although I'm generally out of the house by 8:30. First grade is terrific-every day someone tells me they love me, or I'm beautiful, or I'm their best teacher. My husband says that no one at work tells HIM he's beautiful etc etc. I tell him I'm relieved to hear it!!!
I'm a Creative Director for a small advertising boutique.
I office from home for a software developer...I am so lucky I can work from home...I am a single mom of 2 beautiful children...my son,age 9, has autism and my daughter, age 11, has been classifed as gifted (whatever that means)and they both require a lot of my attention...so, I am able to make a living, bake cookies for my kids after school and check the SB forum whenever I like!
Picture of mstique
Hi everyone,

I am an attorney. I am currently semi-retired, so it is not unusual for me to be reading posts to this forum at any time of the day or night. Smiler

Debra

Debra
Greetings to everyone -- no wonder this is an interesting group with all the varied backgrounds! I'm a fiscal and policy analyst with a state legislature. I work with a lot of environmental and natural resouces budget and policy issues. We're "in session" right now, so things are very busy, but it's also never boring. The SB forum is a great way to remind myself that even when it's busy, it's always important to take care of yourself! Best regards... jeanne
Picture of Kathrynn
Hi Connor I have two with varying degrees of autism and its great that I can work part time from home and at the school so I can still work around the kids, even though mine are a little older. 15 and 13.
I'm a law student. Just like AmyLou I should be doing my homework right now.

I'm supposed to be graduating in June.
Jeanne--fascinating! That sounds like a very stimulating environment. My father worked for Congress for a decade or so, when I was a kid, and I loved it when we would go into "the halls of power." Seemed like a little different atmosphere than just the everyday.

Kathrynn--I want to be a cataloger. I'd like to spend a few hours a week on the reference desk, just to keep myself from turning into a "mushroom" (they usually put us poor tech services people in the basement or somewhere tucked away), but I really like that detail oriented work. I'm also a massage therapist, however, and like you with nails, I still do a few clients here and there for exra money. I even barter with my veterinarian, which comes in very handy with my menagerie. But after being on this board and learning so much about skin care, I kind of wish I'd become an esthetician instead of doing massage!

Deb--you won!! CONGRATS!!! That means you're buying the first round, right? Wink

Sadie--this was a great idea for a thread. It's fun seeing what everyone does in their non-ether lives.

Now everyone who should be that isn't (including me), get back to the homework! Big Grin
I am a legal process server and work from home. That's how I can stay on the computer and work with the skin bio forum running in the background!
I'm an accountant, and for the last 16 years I have worked for a large company based in Texas. When work gets a little too stressful, I take a break and check out what's going on in the SB forum. Also, my husband and I are in the process of starting a retail business that is scheduled to open in late March.
I second AmyLou & everyone else - Sadie, this was a great idea! Congrats on your real estate license & good luck with all that reading!

AmyLou & Kat & Sadie - Totally understood on the escaping from homework and reading. When I was still doing course work, it was not unusual that we had to read 800-1000pp per week of dry, stuffy, boring historians. I know how it is, so, my encouragement - keep grinding away! You'll be out of training (Sadie) & have your degrees b/4 you know it (AL & K) and what accomplishments! Now, if I'd just follow my own words - this dang dissertation is s-l-o-w going. Frowner

Kathrynn - I can see humdrum North American stuff from my window, like ducks, geese, an occasional skunk or possum, once in a while a deer or two, and several dogs (ours, LOL). Do post those pictures, please, would love to see them.

Deb - YES! Congratulations on this first legal victory! BTW, I like wine as well as an occasional good scotch (or a martini or screwdriver). Wink

Jeanne - As an undergrad a few years ago I worked with a PolSci professor whose work dealt with the Council of State Legislatures (I think that's the name). I attended one annual conference, interviewing participants for the prof's book & such. The legislators there were intelligent, informed, concerned, and quite impressive. It was quite an educational experience for me.

AmyLou, back when my second daughter was born, we didn't have health insurance. My ex & I bartered with the obstetrician for all the costs (pre-natal, delivery, post-natal, etc.). We had an electrical contracting business & the bartering worked really well - had the kid paid for in full in no time!

Everyone - thanks for sharing a bit about yourselves. What an impressive group we are.

Now, back to dissertating for me. (Not really, I've got a "formal do" to go to tonight - have to spiff up soon.)

Best to all,
Jana Smiler
Amy-Did I read correctily, you are a massage therapist? And you do nails?
Are you currently working in either field?

Ana
I'm a Radiology/Mammography Technologist although I've been a stay home mom for close to ten years now (daughter-13 and sons 10, 8 &4). For the past couple of years I've run a small home daycare. Very rewarding and exhausting I have to say. I check in often during the day (and late at night) because it's so wonderful to hear from ADULTS.
On a side note-Deb, congratulations on the lawsuit. Not sure if this is appropriate, but can you say the name of the medication involved? My 8 year old has epilepsy (no seizures in four years!. He has been on four different medications (currently on none because he has gone so long without a seizure). I'm very curious, there is always the possibility of him having to go back on meds should he start having seizures again.
Cris